AUX input

Rich Altea

Dec 13, 2010
Hi,

Just bought an Altea 57 plate 1.9 TD so still exploring the car and its facilities so please excuse the ignorant questions.

I have just tried to plug in a cheap MP3 player into the AUX port via a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. Pressed play on the MP3 and tried to select it on the CD/AUX button. All i get is the CD playing with no AUX showing. Does this mean that i cant use an external device or that the one i'm using isnt compatible ?? Its just a cheap battery opperated MP3 player.

The car is great so far:D. Had a picasso before and had nothing but problems:(.

Cheers

Richard

DannyN

Apr 22, 2010
Have you tried pressing the button again to change from CD to AUX and then back again??

Rich Altea

Dec 13, 2010
Hi Danny,

Thanks for the reply:). I have tried pressing the button as well as going through the programme function but the aux input just doesnt seem to be there.
Going to try again tonight with the engine running, plugging it in first then turning the car on etc etc. Hopefully that will sort it. Otherwise i really dont know.

Cheers

Richard.

DannyN

Apr 22, 2010
With engine on and the radio on, plug 3.5mm jack into mp3 player headphone socket and other end of 3.5mm jack into AUX socket and press play.
Press CD/AUX button, radio will switch to CD mode and display CD on the screen
Press CD/AUX button again and the radio should switch to AUX, display AUX and play music from mp3 player

Good luck

Rich Altea

Dec 13, 2010
Cheers again Danny, still no joy unfortunately:confused:.
All i get is the cd playing and no AUX option.

Going to try a different MP3 player and a different cable. Will try one of my friends at the weekend.

Cheers

Richard:)

Wimbledonian

Aug 31, 2010
milling around
It seriously sounds like a radio fault. It should come up AUX when you press the button even when nothing is plugged into the 3.5mm socket. If I read you right, you never see AUX come up on screen as being selected?

I'd first try completely powering off/rebooting the radio. Preferably by disconnecting the battery. (You do know the security code, don't you, for when it comes back?)

AjMFreetrack

I had the same problem and you can tell if you have the prblem i have easily. Providing you have the CD/AUX button on the stereo, if you push PROG and then on the bottom row of buttons the > button you should get the 3rd option as AUX. This is where you can enable and disable AUX. If it is not there then you had the prob I had and a lot of other people seem to have that Seat don't apperntly recognise. You will need VAGCOM or a dealer to fix but all it is at some point the stereo has been re set and lost the code telling it it has an AUX.
Once you put the code back, works a treat! Takes about 20 seconds!

AjMFreetrack

The code value is 4 (though I don't know where that goes, my mate with VAGCOM did it for me).

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
on VAGCOM:
Module 56 Radio
Coding 07
Long Coding helper
Will then bring up a list of all the functions available like this (just pinched off the net a MK6 Golf but will look similar on the Altea)

37-1.PNG

Click eat byte box until you get to one listing the above then put a tick in the Aux in box then close it then hit Do It on the coding page.

Might need a reset to recognise the turn on but cant remember how to on the Altea unit

AjMFreetrack

No,I don't believe so. That will work if you have the AUX on your stereo (the CD button has CD/AUX) on it. If so then great that is a simple version of what comes from the factory anyway and it works as the stereo knows it is an AUX and there is no tricking involved.
However if you don't than this contains no software to convince the stereo it is a CD changer and will not work as it will simply display NO CD.
(I could be totaly wrong and am willing to be corrected but that is how I understand it).

clutha

Well the aux socket on our XL didn't perform too well when used for the 1st time today.
The dealer had checked it before we picked the car ('08) up last thursday.
We plugged it in, heard the 1st track ok but not brilliant quality, messed about with the volume on car unit and lost all reception.

I did read a post on here that the aux connection doesn't give good quality sound and usb is the way to go.

Will try again tomorrow. We used an iPod Nano and also have an iPod shuffle.

wolverine786

Wolverine Power
Nov 9, 2011
Brent Cross - London
Sorry guys, kinda got lost at the VAGCOM bit. I'm having the same issues and have tried to resolve it by the methods that you have listed.

My mechanic has a VAGCOM machine, but not too sure if he knows how to select the AUX bits etc. Also I bought the car recently and do not have a code for the stereo.

Any advice?