Dual mass flywheel problem solved

mikeholroyd

OK, not on the Leon, but on my Octavia TDI PD 1.9, which effectively has the same drivetrain as the Leon diesels.

I've been having problems with the Octavia vibrating on acceleration for a few weeks, and it was getting worse. Skoda main agent diagnosed the problem as a failing DMF, and wanted to charge me £1100 for a new flywheel and clutch. Very unhappy about the DMF failing, especially as the car has only done 44k miles, and that the original clutch that came out was like brand new.

I've had the job done for under £500, but having a solid flywheel conversion kit fitted. The down side is that it's a totally different clutch on the solid flywheel than with the DMF, but even with the cost of the clutch, the cost of parts £330+vat for a full clutch and new flywheel (Valeo kit), is still very much cheaper than a new DMF setup. I paid my local garage £120 for fitting.

Difference in the way it drives? Dispite what some of the critics will say, it's now quieter, much smoother than it has ever been before, and has totally lost the vibration through the clutch pedal. Also, the thump when starting and switching off the engine has totally gone, and I'm convinced that the car now picks up much more responsively when accelerating.

In short, don't be afraid of doing this modification. It is less than half the cost of fitting a new dual mass flywheel, and as well as the benefits as above, it's nice to know that there will never be any further DMF issues in the future.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

seatcupramad23

kc4even23
Sep 7, 2009
birmingham
interesting read to be honest was considering going solid flywheel conversion for leon cupra petrol but people have moaned about the same downsides to me but wanted some1 that actually had it fitted to tell me how it drives in real world, is the clucth bite harsh etc ?

mikeholroyd

No, not at all. Really nice feel to clutch, though it does FEEL different from when the DMF was in.

Ever so slightly more springy on the pedal at the bottom half of the travel, which I suppose makes it a touch heavier to use, but all in all a much nicer vehicle to drive now the conversion has been done. The clutch operation is definately much smoother, and the bite allows a really smooth uptake of power, even on a really steep hill.

And like I said, safe in the knowledge that a replacement DMF isn't going to fail again, and the gearbox won't need taking out again 2 years down the line

Mike

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
I am worried mine will go pop soon! I drive a hell of a lot and in lots of traffic so would be worried about losing any more refinment (it's a noisy old banger as it is!).

I spoke to a taxi driver who had an octavia, he was on 180k and had 3dmfs and was on an smf, said the same as you, not really much difference!

mikeholroyd

One thing that has been asked on other forums is whether there is any more vibration when idling. Answer to that one is absolutely not, it idles smoother now than it ever has done.

Refinement? It's a lot more refined now it's on a SMF.

Mike

Wolves73

My DMF is on the way out and plan to replace it with the Solid SMF, I've done some research and found that valeo are using long travel damper system in the clutch friction plate which is why they dont give the usual noisy idle and harshness of other conversions.
see this link> http://www.valeoservice.com/data/master/webfile/20043310924CA4723539C14.pdf?rnd=251

Also Borg & Beck do the same system.

http://www.firstline.co.uk/borgandbeck/downloads/4in1_supplement.pdf

The borg & beck are currently on ebay for £204
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400162078664&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The Valeo is around £250
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230229994265&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Paul

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
if you can it would be worth noting the kit number and/or make you used for the conversion

that way should a clutch be needed in future you don't end up having to buy it all over again because it can't be identified

Wolves73

Update: I have now had my DMF replaced with the valeo SMF 4 in 1 conversion a couple of days ago.
So far I can report it drives fine and no chatter when in neutral & clutch disengaged.
The valeo SMF is good for around 270 lb/ft (360nm) torque so make sure your level of tuning does not exceed this if you go for this option.

Reactions: Camron

mikeholroyd

just wondering if all was still good with the flywheel kit you hadf fitted as i'm having mine fitted friday.

It's now 3 months and 3000 miles since my SMF conversion was done to my Octavia TDI, and I'm happy to report that all is still super smooth and super quiet. Extremely highly recommended to have this conversion done!

Mike

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
keep a note of what kit was used as in future should another clutch be needed it will need to be compatible

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
Old thread I know, but my DMF has been noisy for a while and last night I got slight clutch slip in 6th, so want a new clutch and flywheel.

After reading this I am less worried about going solid flywheel conversion which I could not decide on before.
Will put my thoughts up once done.

mikeholroyd

Old thread revival eh?

Latest news is that the Octavia is now on nearly 6,000 miles since conversion, and still has no issues whatsoever. Still totally free of vibration, still no chatter at idle, and still as smooth as anything when taking up the drive.

110% convinced this is the way to do if the DMF fails -- if I ever have a DMF failure on any future cars I own, I wouldn't hesitate in having the SMF conversion done. I wouldn't even consider replacing a failed DMF with another DMF.

Mike

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
What people have to understand about this thread, The difference between a Valeo SMF Kit and a Kit such as Helix/Sachs

Valeo SMF Kits have a special kind of Clutch that takes the vibration away, So the Clutch acts as if it was a DMF, Thats why Valeo kits are Quiter and no Vibrations. Valeo Kits arent Uprated kits so they will only handle slightly more than standard power!

Sachs/Helix kits are designed to Handle more power than standard therefore you get the Motosport feel from Vibrations etc

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
Thank you for that!
I understand that is the case, sadly my engine runs more than the Valeo kits can take so I have purchased an uprated (maybe even if noisier/with more vibrations) solid flywheel converison.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Non Valeo SMF will be Chattery, Noisey and Vibrate

I for one am also going down the SMF Rote on mine as DMF is buggered, Helix Kit for me soon

kilner

May 8, 2011
Non Valeo SMF will be Chattery, Noisey and Vibrate

I for one am also going down the SMF Rote on mine as DMF is buggered, Helix Kit for me soon

just be warned i 1ns got a helix clutch in my 306 hdi and i kid u not after 3 months of driving my left legs was as strong as any striker in the premier league

it was all worth it tho 2nd gear launches and your away

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.