Rainwater gets into Engine Bay from Scuttle on my Leon FR

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
Hi All,

I have a Seat Leon FR 2.0 Tdi bought new in Sept 2009. I am having a problem with water getting into the black scuttle (part of bonnet immediately in front of windscreen made out of plastic material), then leaking into the engine bay. This makes the felt sound proofing layer go wet & mouldy.

I reported it to the main dealer on my first service and they replaced the sound proofing layer and fitted some new fastening plugs which supposedly sealed better. This has not worked and I have left out the soundproofing until I can get a proper fix. After a heavy rainfall event as mush as 250 ml can pour into the engine bay and can completely fill the recess where the oil filler cap is.

I can easily demonstrate the ingress of water by pouring water from a watering can over the joint between the plastic scuttle and the metal bonnet. So to my mind the scuttle needs a seal where the joint line is. I have contacted Seat & they have asked me to return it to my main dealer to have another try at getting it right.

I wondered if anyone else with a Leon has noticed their bonnet sound proofing layer getting soaking wet.

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
There are lots of holes under the plastic tray for the water to get through. I took mine of to replace the clips and noticed the holes. I taped them all up under the plastic, and also under the bonnet side.

Now if it rains or you wash the car all the water sits under the plastic. If you open the bonnet it pours out and some goes onto the engine. When you drive the car its seems to clear it though.

The sound proofing is about £40 and I had mine replaced twice under warranty. Now its up I'll just buy it myself if it goes moldy again.

Last edited:

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
Hi DonnyBoy

Thanks for reply.

>>There are lots of holes under the plastic tray for the water to get through<<
Do you know if where the water sits there are different compartments that keep the water separate ie one hole drains one compartment and another hole drains a second compartment etc.

I connected a tube to the hole right in the middle which is at the lowest point on the curve you see when bonnet is open and this drains ok but water obviously not from everywhere. I'm on my second soundproofing but will not fit it until I can reduce the water ingress.

I plan to paint the Sound layer with a rubberised paint called PlastiDip which will render the underside impervious to water.

How easy is it to get those plastic clips out without breaking them, do you need a special tool?

Thanks & regards
John

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
Hi Knight,

Seat Customer Care told me that as far as they know mine was the only Leon with this problem. This is obviously not the case. It would be helpful if any member with this problem join the thread by stating model and year so we can collectively use this as evidence of a design fault.

Regards
John

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
Hi Knight,

Seat Customer Care told me that as far as they know mine was the only Leon with this problem. This is obviously not the case. It would be helpful if any member with this problem join the thread by stating model and year so we can collectively use this as evidence of a design fault.

Regards
John

They lied then, as my 59 plate FR cr had exactly the same problem by the time it came to having the first service the lining was covered in White mould and so heavy with the weight of the water it was rubbing on the engine cover.
Booked it in for the service and they said they would replace everything, lining, clips etc under warranty. They did this, fitted these uprated clips that seal better and also spray glued it on, that was last October and I have had no problems since, no water, no mould all seems good, not sure if they done anything else to stop the water coming in and unfortunately due to it being spray glued in I can't look either.

Tasha :)

GREG_R84

Keep right on
Oct 3, 2007
Tamworth
Same here, iv got a 58 plate k1. Had the lining and clips replaced about 6 months ago, but iv noticed its started to leak again

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
The clips are cheap so just buy 9 new ones just incase.

The part number for the modified clips is: 6L6 853 575

Take the sound proofing off by squeezing the clips together, undo the torx bolts that hold the plastic, then unclip it at the ends/corners, and pop it off. You will also need to disconnect the washer under the plastic. The new clips that have the seal just slide into the plastic for putting it back on.

Once you remove the plastic you will see the holes from the top. I taped them all up and also taped up the one in the middle under the bonnet, and the ones you can't see under the sound proofing.

It will then hold the water till it either runs out the back near the screen, or you open the bonnet slowly and drain it out the back near the screen.

I can't see this causing any issues as its all painted under the plastic so should be ok. All the plastic does is house the screen washers......and breaks the bonnet up with a bit of black.

Last edited:

DandB

My other car
Jul 20, 2007
London
I've had three bonnet linings taken off all sagged from water , then scorched form sitting on engine. The new clips with the extra rubber seals seemed to have cured my problem....for now anyway.

I found that i had to pretty much snap the old clips of from under the bonnet to pull them out and then undo the 9 or so torx screws, but didnt need to mess around with the washers at all.

As mentioned make sure to slide the new clips into the black plastic washer thingy first and only push them down and into bonnet when your sure all is good and all screws tightened..... as i made a massive mistake first time around :doh: and didnt realise the clips slipped into the panel and just popped them straight into the bonnet to find that the plastic bit didn't sit flush and i couldnt get the clips out again without breaking them. So thought id quickly drive to the dealers to get some more clips...whilst out driving forgot that it wasn't as flush sitting without those clips and i overtook someone and my whole panel flew off and over my roof, being crushed by a lorry behind :rolleyes: £90 later and a new washer system reassembled from scratch, all is now good!

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
The clips are cheap so just buy 9 new ones just incase.

The part number for the modified clips is: 6L6 853 575

Take the sound proofing off by squeezing the clips together, undo the torx bolts that hold the plastic, then unclip it at the ends/corners, and pop it off. You will also need to disconnect the washer under the plastic. The new clips that have the seal just slide into the plastic for putting it back on.

Once you remove the plastic you will see the holes from the top. I taped them all up and also taped up the one in the middle under the bonnet, and the ones you can't see under the sound proofing.

It will then hold the water till it either runs out the back near the screen, or you open the bonnet slowly and drain it out the back near the screen.

I can't see this causing any issues as its all painted under the plastic so should be ok. All the plastic does is house the screen washers......and breaks the bonnet up with a bit of black.

Hi Donnyboy,

Did you consider using a silicone sealant to stop the rainwater (or at least reduce the quantity), getting into the scuttle? The only benefit I can see of just using the new clips is to stop water leaking out where the clip sits. But, as you said there are so many unplugged holes this is a futile exercise. Why should we have to open the bonnet after it rains to get the water out, it shouldn't get in there in the first place.

Anyone who takes off the sound proofing layer can see just how much water we are talking about. Simply get a watering can or hosepipe and run water along the joint between the scuttle and bonnet. Wipe the top of the bonnet so that you are sure that any water must be coming from inside, then open the bonnet. After heavy rain I estimate there is at least 500ml of water that runs out.

This is definitely a design fault which admittedly might not be serious in sunny spain but here in wet Wales it most certainly is.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
I wanted to be able to undo what I'd done if it didn't work or caused problems, so the tape was easier. I used a few bits of gaffa tape on each hole.

I think people that remove the sound proofing and don't have an engine cover are risking the coil packs getting a real soaking. You would have to cover the whole to prevent this.

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
I understand, but I still think the engine gets a bit wet when you open the bonnet. It splashes everywhere. I am going to paint the underside of my sound proofing layer after the main dealer has had another try at fixing it.

The link is below if you are interested:

Sorry not allowed to post link because I haven't submitted enough post but google PlastiDip

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
Leak Problem to be fixed by Seat Factory

Seat Customer Care (UK) contacted me yesterday and the matter has been escalated to the factory in Spain who will be developing a proper fix to this annoyiny problem. I suggest anyone who is getting a wet soggy sound proofing layer contact their dealer immediately so that you will be notified about the cure when it is made available.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Thats good to hear. Mine has been ok all winter after I've changed the clips and covered all the holes. Will keep and eye on it though.

lesfr

I noticed the mould but thought it was just caused by the horrendous snow we have had. Will be keeping a closer eye on it now I drive a 57 plate FR. Thanks guys.

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
Seat Customer Care (UK) contacted me yesterday and the matter has been escalated to the factory in Spain who will be developing a proper fix to this annoyiny problem. I suggest anyone who is getting a wet soggy sound proofing layer contact their dealer immediately so that you will be notified about the cure when it is made available.

Just had a call from Seat Customer Care to tell me that a fix has now been released, details of which are contained in their Technical Product Information (TPI) No 2025865. Anyone experiencing this problem should call their dealer and mention this TPI so that they can order the correct part.

I understand that the fix involves some foam strips but I will post more details when I have had it done.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Good info, I will be sure to tell my dealer this when I get my service done in a few weeks time. Mine is all covered in white mould stuff.

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
You might want to ask them to supply a new Sound Proofing Layer (SPL)

I treated my new SPL with a rubberized paint, which now makes it completely impervious to water, (at least from the side facing the bonnet).

Last edited:

DandB

My other car
Jul 20, 2007
London
Just had a call from Seat Customer Care to tell me that a fix has now been released, details of which are contained in their Technical Product Information (TPI) No 2025865. Anyone experiencing this problem should call their dealer and mention this TPI so that they can order the correct part.

I understand that the fix involves some foam strips but I will post more details when I have had it done.

Has this fix now fixed the previous fix successfully?