Badger5

Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » SEAT Model Specific Discussion Forum includes Members Projects » Ibiza » Ibiza Mk4

Ibiza Mk4 For the 2002 - 2008 model

Old 29-04-2011, 21:52   #1
philjc99

philjc99 has 10 points
Ibiza 1.2 Timing Belt Intervals

Hi guys, before any one says use the search I have, and not been too successful. My missus is picking up her new car on Friday, a 2004 1.2 Ibiza. Any chance anyone can tell me the intervals for the timing belt/cambelt changes. I've got a Leon Tdi so im guessing there a bit different

Thanks in advance.

Phil
philjc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 22:01   #2
Cupra R

Cupra R has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by philjc99 View Post
Hi guys, before any one says use the search I have, and not been too successful. My missus is picking up her new car on Friday, a 2004 1.2 Ibiza. Any chance anyone can tell me the intervals for the timing belt/cambelt changes. I've got a Leon Tdi so im guessing there a bit different

Thanks in advance.

Phil
The 1.2 engine is chain driven. ensure oil level is correct at all times as a drop in oil pressure could result in loss of tension on the chain which could result in a hefty repair bill.

I think the chains are ok for 100k ish, but I am not 100% sure.
Cupra R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 19:07   #3
RaggedLob
The worst is yet to come

RaggedLob has 10 points
To add to this, the chains are meant to be a fairly lifetime part: however, earlier models had a lousy tensioner and pulley fitted, and often went under 50k

You might be ok as yours is 2004 (when they modified the part), but check the service history for chain tensioner guide replacement, and avoid the £400 (much more if it snaps) bill i had!

Other things to watch are engine management lights, was a £600 bill for me, otherwise they are decent fun little cars