Changing Pollen Filter **GUIDE**

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
You will Need;
Hands

Difficulty: 0/5, seriously, i've only done this guide in case anyone else like me couldn't find the pollen filter

1. Look to the right of the passenger footwell behind the glovebox, you'll see this thing
IMAG0051.jpg

Those two slidy looking things slide to the centre, then give them a tug and the pollen filter cover will come free.

Grab the old pollen filter and give it a tug.

Replace with new pollen filter making sure to pay attention to the "airflow direction" notice on the filter,

putting the cover back on is a bit fiddly but persevere, then when it's in place slide the slidey thigns back to the edges and pat yourself on the back.
(you'll know when the covers in the right place as the slidey thigns will slide and stay in place, if they slide off into your hand then you've not put it on right!)

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing1

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Remember to include a warning of all the nasty stuff that might fall down as you look up while removing the filter. I'm amazed that this unit has not been revised, the "easy out" but tricky to put back does get you going, first used quite a long time ago by VAG! Though, on the positive side, now I know how to replace the filter on my daughter's Beezer - but I'll wait until after the service in case I find I'm paying for it twice (looking after daughter's 59 1.4SC for a year).

Arbuckle

Jun 10, 2016
Is the air flow right to left, or left to right?
Just found out my ibiza had no pollen filter fitted, and there are no arrows on the plastic!
John

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Maybe have a look for another guide, there is a YouTube one available, and it might highlight an issue that you could have, ie "do you still have the plastic frame that the new filter fits into?" - if not then you will need to get one ordered up from your local SEAT dealer, in the video I looked at, it seems that the air flow is from the centre of the car to the passenger side. I should really check this on my daughter's 2009 Ibiza SC that I am still looking after! (and report back on direction of air flow)

Arbuckle

Jun 10, 2016
Does the mk5 definitely have the plastic frame?
Looks like a trip to the stealers....

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Right, I've taken the pollen filter out of the Ibiza, the plastic frame, as fitted to a late 2009 Ibiza 6J is p/n 6Q0 819 647. The filter is marked as air flow left to right, and looking at the used filter, that seems to be correct as all the large stuff is trapped on the left hand side. Filter element p/n is 6Q0 820 367 B - and that is for the standard type, not the carbon impregnated version. I'm not completely certain that the YouTube video is showing the correct way to fit that filter to the plastic frame though, anyway, air flow is L>R and the plastic frame needs fitting so that the "lug" fits into a cut out on the air box in the car.

Edit:- the YouTube video, in English, is for a LHD car, so maybe that explains why the filter fits into the frame the opposite way round?

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Okay, Arbuckle, I've just discovered by accident on another forum, that at some time during 2010, there was a change and that plastic frame was deleted and the filter part number changed to 6R0 820 367.

Some of that ties in with what queen posted above.

Last edited:

Arbuckle

Jun 10, 2016
I've spoken to SEAT today who couldn't be sure which direction the filter was fitted (parts dept, not the mechanics), but the parts diagram says there should be no cage fitted - so this all ties in together...
Many thanks Rum4m0 and Queen for your help and effort :)

John

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
One thing, I'd think that if you are just fitting a standard filter then it should not matter which way round it goes, problems will only arise if you fit a carbon coated one as you want the carbon on the incoming air side. Looking at filter listings on the parts cat, two variants are listed for the older (frame/cage needed), but for the newer cars, well Polo at least, only the standard one is listed for manual AC, and only the carbon coated one for auto AC! I'll try to get a look at the filter on wife's August 2015 Polo soon - I'm sure that it will benefit from being vac'd out, and report back on (indicated) air flow direction - but I'd still guess that the filter body profile will dictate that it can only fit in the correct way.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Okay, I've now taken the pollen filter out of my wife's August 2015 Polo SEL that has Climatronic auto AC, the filter has no air flow direction on it and gets fitted with the side with the part numbers etc to the rear of the car with the text reading top to bottom. That car, as it has auto AC gets the carbon impregnated filter option, ie p/n 6R0 819 653 which will be identical to the standard filter in size. All I can think about wrt "direction of air flow" is, it does not matter which way round you fit them, just remember to refit them the same way if taking them out to hoover them as if you don't, the remaining trapped dirt will get blown into the ventilation system!

Reactions: LeighPing1