Awesome GTI

Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » SEAT Model Specific Discussion Forum includes Members Projects » Ibiza » Ibiza Mk4

Ibiza Mk4 For the 2002 - 2008 model

Old 04-08-2011, 17:48   #1
AndyC567

AndyC567 has 10 points
Gear Linkage Adjustment

Ever since I got my 130 TDI Sport back in April I have been slightly disapointed in the notchy gear change.

It feels like the linkage or something at the bottom of the stick needs greasing or something ?

I have been searching through the forums and it would seem that the Mk4 uses a cable system which can be adjusted.

Many have said it feels like a new gearbox if it is adjusted properly.

So, has anyone ever done this, is there a 'How To' anywhere or does anyone know the correct procedure required to make the adjustments ?

Thanks guy's.
AndyC567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 19:06   #2
great_kahn
Spooge

great_kahn has 20 points
This vid explains all. Ive never done it myself however, but been meaning to try...

He demonstrates on 5 speed, but shows 6 speed differences at the end.
http://vimeo.com/6881683
Old 04-08-2011, 20:58   #3
AndyC567

AndyC567 has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by great_kahn View Post
This vid explains all. Ive never done it myself however, but been meaning to try...

He demonstrates on 5 speed, but shows 6 speed differences at the end.
http://vimeo.com/6881683

Thanks for the link, great help that..

It looks easy enough, does anyone know if this can be done easily on the MK4 ?

I guess it is to much to hope that it all can be done from the top via the engine bay ?

Thanks again.
Old 04-08-2011, 21:06   #4
great_kahn
Spooge

great_kahn has 20 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC567 View Post
Thanks for the link, great help that..

It looks easy enough, does anyone know if this can be done easily on the MK4 ?

I guess it is to much to hope that it all can be done from the top via the engine bay ?

Thanks again.
No expert but removal of the battery and airbox might be needed.
Old 06-08-2011, 18:30   #5
AndyC567

AndyC567 has 10 points
Managed to do this today..

I did remove the Battery box so I could see what I was doing, but now knowing where everything is I reckon I could do it by just removing a plastic air intake pipe and getting my handes between the battery box and engine cover.

Not a bad job, the video says it really..

My gear change still feels a bit strange, but I have to say it now selects better.

I guess a 7 year old cable change is never going to feel like a newer direct change !!
Old 07-08-2011, 21:33   #6
great_kahn
Spooge

great_kahn has 20 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC567 View Post
Managed to do this today..

I did remove the Battery box so I could see what I was doing, but now knowing where everything is I reckon I could do it by just removing a plastic air intake pipe and getting my handes between the battery box and engine cover.

Not a bad job, the video says it really..

My gear change still feels a bit strange, but I have to say it now selects better.

I guess a 7 year old cable change is never going to feel like a newer direct change !!
Gearbox oil change next maybe?
Old 08-08-2011, 21:20   #7
philje123
Chug chug

philje123 has 10 points
Just done this one mine.

Had to hold the gear selector down on top of the box manually as the little locking pin was broken and looked like someone had butchered it with something at some point. The when I tried to push it the bloody thing snapped off! Including the metal housing. I've sealed the hole up for now though... that's something to do another day!

On a positive note the gear change has a much more positive feel to it and whereas 5th and 6th were very hard to engage before (had to push the stick as far right as it would go!) they both slip straight in.

I only had to remove the air pipe from the front of the engine and that was sufficient to access everything... until the pin snapped off anyway! lol

Phil

Cordoba SE TDI 130
philje123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 23:07   #8
tomhowroyd
Glacier blue pd130 sport

tomhowroyd has 10 points
VEry tempted to do this, just wondering how big of a difference it will make, compared to the risks of messing it up!
tomhowroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:26   #9
philje123
Chug chug

philje123 has 10 points
I would say that unless you are finding it difficult to engage certain gears etc then do it. Other wise there's not much point.

I think mine only went wrong because of whoever had a go at it before me and broke the little pin.

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Cordoba SE TDI 130
philje123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 19:59   #10
AndyC567

AndyC567 has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhowroyd View Post
VEry tempted to do this, just wondering how big of a difference it will make, compared to the risks of messing it up!
I would say there is very little than can go wrong..

I thought the whole process was very easy once you have access.

It deffo makes the gears engage better, although it didn't address my dis-like of the feel of the gearbox.

worth doing..

Go for it, it is not difficult at all.