Suj's BMW E36 328i Track Fun

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
So....lol

As much fun as the 200sx was and still is, it just isn't for me, main reason is I am not really a turbo guy, got nothing against them, but I am Naturally Aspirated guy.
I got the car as I had never had a turbo car before, so thought I would try it before I just judge them lol.

It's quick, handles quite well, but I miss a screaming NA.

I have always wanted an E36 M3, but insurance was way too much for me :(

So I was just scouring the net, and came across a 328i, has 153k on the clocks, FSH (all BMW except for last 2, which were done at an independent garage), but had a couple of problems.
* Window regulator on passenger side plays up (common, cheap and easy to fix)
* rust on the boot directly in the middle at the bottom, again not a massive problem.

Went to view it, straight away spotted it on the street, but then I noticed some little car infront, it was a Suzuki, I had never seen before, apparently it is a "Suzuki Whizzkid" it was immaculate and me and my friend were looking around it totally forgetting about the BMW lol.

Finally we looked around the car, it was pretty clean bar the rust (already said) and a mark on passenger door.

Guy came out, started her up, started spot on, no leaking exhaust, no idle problems, going up to temp spot on, showed the service history it had etc.

Then he opened the engine, WOW! Totally clean with visible new-ish parts (New BMC, new Rad etc). This made me a bit worried as it might of been in a shunt (paranoia), but chassis legs were straight, no overspray, it was HPI clear too.

So went for a spin, my mate drove as I wasn't insured (he is 25 so allowed to drive the car), he is very very knowledgeable in cars working with them from little and even working for big rally companies and other motorsport companies.

He said it was pulling really well, no hesitation in any gear, no flat spots etc, brakes were spot on etc. (I was passenger in the back and it was spot on from back here).

I had no haggling points, as it was better than described, so I took it.

I just got a BMW for <£1k....how? lol

Anyway plans are going to be the following:
* Coilovers (KW Variant 3's or HSD's as I have heard real good reviews of these too).
* Bigger brakes (I may of just bagged some E36 M3 Evo front and rears for crazy cheap, so that should be a good upgrade to start), and run Bluestuff pads, or if money allows Pagid RS-19's or Carbone Lorraine RS5+)
* Stripped out (it is going to be more "Clubsport" where i'll strip it out of sound deadening etc, but then put carpet on so it isn't totally track).
* E36 M3 Sunflower wheels + Sticky tyres, I am leaning more towards Kuhmo V70a's or Federal 595RSR's)
* 2x Bucket seats + Harnesses
* Uprated ARB's
* Polybush as much as I can
* 328i LSD (will expand below)
* Front splitter and rear GT Wing, a bit of a DTM look :D

That's it I think, bet I forgot stuff to my list lol.

328i LSD, basically the E38 328i came with LSD's with optional extra of ASC (Active Stability Control), but in 1997 they made the ASC standard...DAMMIT lol.

Other option is a 3.0 M3 LSD, it is much shorter than the 328i one but people have said that 70mph is at about 4000RPM, which is really high, especially as I am going to be driving the car to trackdays and Germany I don't think I will go for this option.

Anyway it is sitting on my mate's drive until I sell the Nissan, so only got 2 pictures currently.

E36 BMW 328i by Suraj Joshi, on Flickr

E36 BMW 328i by Suraj Joshi, on Flickr

2.8 Straight 6 by Suraj Joshi, on Flickr

2.8 Straight 6 by Suraj Joshi, on Flickr

Last edited:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
HAHAHA I know Dave, it was such a cool car, everyone knows what a Fiat 500 is, but hardly anyone what a Whizzkid is lol.

But seeing as guy said there is 100 in the UK, only 29 on the road (rest are SORN getting "de-rusted") I doubt he'd give it me the same price as the Beemer lol.

So may of just got some 3.2 M3 Evo front and rear calipers (315mm fronts) :D

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Hey Will, thanks dude, you ok?

Hell yeah staying RWD, I love RWD, you can have so much fun when you want to :D

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
So, just paid for the 3.2 M3 Evo front and rear brakes, 3.2 M3 Evo Brake Master Cylinder + Servo and also some Rogue Engineering (American company) Rear reinforced top mounts.

The standard top mounts are crappy and have been known to break, pushing the damper into the the car, like so:

rsm_fail_600.jpg

Here's 2 gif's of how they fit:

http://www.rogueengineering.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/suspension/rsm/shock_asm1.gif

http://www.rogueengineering.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/suspension/rsm/shock_asm2.gif

Everyone I have spoken to about E36, they have all said to do this, and I got it off the same guy with the brakes, so once Nissan sells, I can then get even more bits off him, as he is breaking his car.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Hey Jase, na not yet mate.

Still for sale, but it is definitely going.

Hopefully it sells soon so I can start the prep'ing on this!

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Tiss a sad day indeed....... That is such a nice motor mate. Regrettably I am not a fan of the beemer fraternity b ut am sure you will make it special.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
It is, but at same time it's not, as I got an E36 M3 to look forward to in a year or 2, which i'd prefer over the Nissan, thing is people say I am nuts, as I spent SO MUCH on the Nissan, but certain people prefer different cars, like I ain't a big fan of Subaru's, I prefer Evo's etc.

Thanks mate, it will look and drive amazing when I am done with it :love:

Hope car and family are well mate :)

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
HAHA, do like Evo's, got a soft spot for the older ones though :love:

Ok so here is plans of the rear wing / front splitter style I am going for :)

SpoilerGreen.jpg

328i_sport_285.JPG

328i_sport_288.JPG

112894-173.jpg

I prefer the smaller one really, but will see how it goes, to do front splitter I will need to get M-tech (sport) bumpers, which I prefer anyway, so put up a few wanted threads (in my green, as I hate paying for bodywork and I am lazy lol).

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Update:

200sx sold, car is now insured and I have driven it yesterday around, it's so good, feels a bit wallowy coming from the 200sx, but that was not standard (actually that drove worse standard lol).

So much torque, from idle it pulls (5th gear doing 30mph, it pulls, unlike Nissan that just shouts "CHANGE DOWNNNNNNNNN" lol).

I also did my first mod lol.
An easy one, took me 3mins lol.

It's called a "Golf Tee" mod, basically the exhaust has a butterfly valve which is closed but then runs a pipe from the manifold and over certain RPM's it opens, it was to originally quiet down idle noise.

So when you pull out this pipe from the "turbo actuator looking valve" you block it up...voila, you have a better idle noise.

I know it's crap and I will have an exhaust later on, but took 3mins and 1 screw lol :D

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Front splitter yes

Rear spioler small one ;) or you'll look like you belong cruising star city on your own with that big one lol

Haha, yeah I was leaning more to the smaller one really, but the big one looks good too like the pics up above.

Need to get M-Tech / M3 front and rear bumpers first, these ones look so crap lol.

Also I love cruising Star City yoooooo (flipping hell I ain't been to that place in years, when I was like 14 I used to live in there bowling etc, but not been in like at least 5years lol)

Last edited:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Thanks Damo :love: I really appreciate it :)

Hope you, family and work are good fella :D

PS it has dual zone climate control, it's quite odd, probably the "nicest" car i've owned, and will be tracked up soon lmao...DOH

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.