MK2 Leon ownership now at an end.........

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Well, thats me just sold the best car I have ever owned. A little upset and I hope I don't regret it.

As an owner of the MK2 Leon for over 6 years now, I guess I am probably well versed to talk about my thoughts.

I owned 2 of these;

1) 2007 Leon Cupra TFSi 240
2) 2010 Leon Cupra TSi 240

Both were owned both as standard and tuned. The 2007 model had a lot of gremlins in the Xenons and mirrors as well as other bits and pieces but the 2010 model had no issues.

2007 model was a standard car while the 2010 had a Technology pack (definitely worth having).

Things I liked - comfort, pace, brakes, drivers seat, the fact that it was not a common car, I loved that it was easily tuned and both cars were Stage 2+ tuned in the end.

Will I buy another one- hopefully yes. Maybe a 2006 FR 2.0T DSG and fit an LSD, CDL engine and uprate the internals and externals in the engine. I have loads of bits left over from my ownership and loved the track experience I had in both cars.

Will I buy a MK3 Leon Cupra? Highly unlikely but we will see. I am currently without a car and looking/trying to figure out whats next. I like the B8 S4 and Golf R although the Golf is too expensive for what it is and I cant find an S4 that I like. Probably for now i'll settle for a bland eco **** box for a while to buy time.

However I very much would recommend a MK2 Leon Cupra to anyone. Absolutely fantastic cars :clap:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Of course its only 1945kg with 5 proper fat *******s in it :)

Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
Sad day Al. Like you I loved my Cupra days and honestly, I thought I'd made a mistake when I first bought my Golf R. But I'll tell you what, after throwing a few £ at the Golf it blows the Cupra out of the water.

There are some bargains to be had now on the Rs. If you head over to rforum.co.uk they pop up regularly. There are already 2 or 3 up your way. One was at Crail last week.

So, in the end was the blue car better than Red Bess?

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I will look at the 2010-2012 Golf R's but they hold their money to the point that buying the 2014 model is a proper alternative with more power and tuning potential out the box and less weight.

Yes, absolutely the 2010 blue car was better than the 2007 red car but the red car ultimately was faster. I put that down the the wrong decision to fit a Southbend uprated clutch and single mass flyhwheel.

In my opinion, the following mods are definitely worthwhile (bearing in mind I did sub 60 second laps at Knockhill and 12 second 1/4 miles at Crail)

1) Remove air conditioning pump, belt and radiator
2) Uprate engine mounts
3) Uprate clutch, but dont fit single mass flywheel.
4) Evolution Motorsports Intake
5) A decent intercooler - see Audi S3 spec with alloy ends or Pro Alloy intercooler
6) Don't fit Anti Lift Kits or uprated anti roll bars. Total waste of money.
7) Don't fit a Forge recirv valve, Carbonio Intake or Forge Twintercooler. Waste of money and slow you down.
8) Do fit a decent set of coilovers.
9) Do fit a Limited Slip Differential
10) Change the oil every 3000 miles and cam follower every 10000 miles. Be sure to change the PCV every 20000 miles.

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
Evenin all.

Well first off I'd just like to say a massive thanks to Al for selling me a fantastic car. Spending that bit extra on the good parts was well worth it.

Thanks again buddy. I just need to get those internals sorted and get it ramped up again lol.

JayCee

Apr 8, 2010
Isle of Man
I like the B8 S4 and Golf R although the Golf is too expensive for what it is and I cant find an S4 that I like.

Exactly how I was thinking around a month ago, but I decided for now that I didn't have the cash to throw at a decent S4 so I am keeping my Cupra until at least this time next year.

Hope you find a reasonable ****-box in the mean time Al!

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Sorry to see Bess is away Al but at least it's gone to an enthusiast :)

Does the 2013 S3 not float your boat? For the amount of money to get a scene-taxed Golf R you could get a new S3 with 296bhp out the box? ;)

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Aye the Golf R is too expensive to be honest. At the end of the day all it does over what I had was drive the rear wheels as well as the front wheels and has the option of a trick gearbox and launch control (which I would want).

However good ones used are still £25k+. I don't see the point in buying a 3 year old car that is (as mentioned above) carrying a scene tax when they were a little over £5k more new. S3's are the same underneath and are much more affordable although as you know Craig, S3's in Aberdeen are way too common.

The MK7 Golf R and Audi S3 both due later this year/early next year with the new high output 2.0T engine and much less weight. The same engine watered down in power and probably some external components will arrive in the MK3 Leon Cupra which at £26k is a non starter for me based on the money I have lost on both Leons (which in my opinion is the achilles heel). I know of a Leon Cupra R that was traded in recently on a 60 plate with under 30k miles for near enough half its original price in 30 months.

Something has to give with the price of hot hatches though. Vauxhall are struggling like hell selling their new Astra VXR and new ones can be had for a bit over £20k if you look hard enough. The list was originally £28k. You can already get MK3 Leon FR's for £3-4k under the low £20's list price from the likes of NewCarDiscount and such online car sellers. New Ford Focus ST3's fully loaded with options can be had for £22-23k.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
One thing I forgot to add at the start - both cars were Revo Technik tuned. I would very much recommend people to go with Revo Technik based on my experience with them.

The 2007 car was tuned from standard to Revo Stage 1 in 2007. When components became available, so the step to Stage 2 and latterly Stage 2+ was made in 2008.

The 2010 car stayed standard for a year then went straight to Stage 2+ after an evening spent bolting on all the necessary parts.

The reasons I would recommend Revo are;

1) Availability - there is going to be Revo agent near you somewhere in the country - from the far north to the far south, east to west.

2) Adjustability - no other map allows you to finely adjust things to suit conditions/fuel/driving style like Revo.

3) Performance - pretty clear most of the fastest 2.0T' Leons are Revo tuned.

4) Support - In my experience, it has been fantastic

5) Continued development and enthusiasm. Having spent time with the guys, Kev, Paul, Michael etc, it is clear they have a true passion for what they do. Looking forward to having them up in Scotland this September at the Revo VAG vs Ford day at Crail again :)

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
It's when you look at the pricing of the new mk7 GTi that it begins to lose the plot. You'd want it with the fancy diff, dampers and performance pack upgrade (227bhp, ooooooh!! :rolleyes: ), which brings the price to just under £27k. So you can imagine how ridiculous the fanboi R version is going to be. Another £3k gets you an S3, with more power, 4wd and better interior etc. I do know what you mean re S3s up here Al ;)

Shame we can't get the M135i X-drive in the UK as that would add another interesting option to the list - 0-62mph in 4.7 seconds :D and the better balance from a car set up as RWD to begin with, instead of a FWD hatchback with 4WD developed. You might just have to get an import from the continent...

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
At the end of the day it makes absolutely no difference anyway other than you are digging an even bigger hole for your self every time you post

Thanks for brightening up my Sunday Al :)

I have been looking for a while for either a scirroco R or golf R and tbh the money people want for 2010 cars is bonkers !
For a 3 year old car still wanting north of £23 k !
Newer ones are just a joke , especially with the new mk7 golf just around the corner so I think I will hold on a bit longer:)
Been looking for a s4 3.0 supercharged animal my self :)
Would love one I these and I think they are better overal than the golf R

I looked at BMW 135 I and tbh doesn't float my boat I know the Leon is bland inside but the BMW is just as bland !
If I'm spending £25 k plus on a car I want to feel special when I sit in it and drive it , that's what put me off a focus RS great looking out side but just another focus on the inside except for the bus steering wheel !
That's why the Leon was very good value for money , not a lot of other cars can do that
I still see some 62 / 13 plate scirrocos and golf R 's sitting at over £30K ! And I think good luck mr vag selling that
If you want to know a decent valuation use the ford on line valuation that will give you an idea of how overpriced a lot of cars really are !

Al you going to go DSG or what ever the equivalent is on the car you get or stay manual ?
I test drove a DSG sciroco twice and both times I wasn't that impressed , it had some nice features but for every day driving it was just like a go kart , I hated the pulling away no control either on power or off no gentle in between like controlling a manual so still no sold myself.

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
Avant S4 or Saloon Al? I pine for an S4 Avant, wifes says im an old fart... : (
D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise