m0rk's 2006 VW Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG HV06 WVZ

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Yesterday we added a replacement to the Leon to the fleet with this tidy Mk5 Golf GTI

After the problems with the Leon Copa SE, we were on the look out for something with some subtle different requirements (which may or may not become apparent over the next few weeks!)

Anyway, it's nice to have a hot hatch again! The vRS just isn't 'gnar' enough but this will do as the run around with potential

It's got the optional 18's, heated leather seats, convenience pack (auto lights, and wipers)

I've already got the cruise stalk to install over the weekend as the weather allows, and I need something to connect to an iPhone to play music

Anyway, Autotrader pics

1526185_10151819728771787_444495035_n.jpg

1536624_10151819728651787_792929014_n.jpg

1526913_10151819729051787_135229151_n.jpg

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
The 7 speeder was glitchy, even after the warranty replacement of the clutch assy... But I think it was about to become terminal as it was rattling and shifting into 7th at every opportunity.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Looks great! How do you find it compared to the Leon, does it feel noticeably older/ less sharp at all?

Would be really interested to hear what you think as I'm considering making the same swap. I'm bored to tears of my Leon and desperately want something faster and more interesting. Was originally thinking of PCPing a Mk3 Leon but instead have been looking at just paying cash for a nice Mk5 Golf GTI.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Looks great! How do you find it compared to the Leon, does it feel noticeably older/ less sharp at all?

Would be really interested to hear what you think as I'm considering making the same swap. I'm bored to tears of my Leon and desperately want something faster and more interesting. Was originally thinking of PCPing a Mk3 Leon but instead have been looking at just paying cash for a nice Mk5 Golf GTI.

It's a lot stiffer sprung that either the Leon or my vRS - but nicely built compared to the Leon (comparable with the vRS)

200bhp is fun though!

New DV is sat here to be fitted, as well as cruise control

Today I went to JKM to get the alignment sorted, which they did for a bargain price - the car now tracks properly and isn't munching tyres!

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Sounds good :)

DV seems to be a common weak point but at least its very cheap. Shame cruise isn't standard.

Hopefully I'll be able to join the Mk5 GTI owners club fairly soon! Just a waiting game until a suitably tidy car comes up, unfortunately a lot of them have fallen into the hands of people who can't really afford to run then.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Excellent :)

Just taken it away for its first longish run, returned OK mpg & still quick enough to have fun. Looking forward to sorting out time to get it Revo'd - that said I still kept managing to join slip roads onto motorways without doing more than lightly brushing the pedal at some fairly big speeds

There are some dogs out there, but be prepared to move quickly when you see a good one!

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Well I did it, now too the proud owner of a 2006 GTI DSG :)

Mine is also the 5dr but in Black with 17s. Rather pleased with it and feels like a significant upgrade over the Leon. Hides it's age well. Planning on doing a gearbox oil change, DV and maybe renewing the suspension bushes. Will post up my own thread once I've had the chance to get some pictures.

Yours still going ok m0rk?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Congrats. Ours is fine (really it's my wife's run around) so it doesn't get a hard life at all

Wheels need a refurb though, one has a bead leak from some cracked paint

Looking forward to your RR - I saw a black one yesterday and that is a very good colour for it

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Did the new diverter valve make a lot of difference for you? I'm thinking of doing mine soon as I'm not 100% sure if it was done before. Seems to drive fine though and boost properly so not sure what the symptoms would be of it needing doing :)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Not had the chance to crawl under & change it yet.

It just flags an error code at the moment, but performance is still more than adequate for making progress!

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
My mates just bought one of these in the same colour but its developed an Idling issue.

Do you know what pipe this is as its broken off and he thinks this is causing the problem (The one with the jubilee clip at the end)

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Greak choice on the golf. I made the switch to a top spec GT tdi dsg in jan. Great motor but you have to watch out for rust bubbles, particularly on the front wings, doors & sills and intermittent issues with the crappy mechatronics units.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Bit of a lag on updates

Now has black powder coated rims & will be up for sale next month when my new car turns up!

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Bit of a lag on updates

Now has black powder coated rims & will be up for sale next month when my new car turns up!

Well, you can't just leave that comment there without dropping at least SOME kinda hint as to what you are getting...... ;)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Dull stuff!

Polo SE 1.2TSI DSG for my wife (which the Golf was for) and a Nissan Qashqai for me

I might be planning a toy though :)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
The Polo maps to about 144bhp though, so that'll be going via Revo shortly.

Sadly, the Nissan is only 110bhp (and a company car) so that'll be boringly stock

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.