How to help your gearbox!!! Post 2003

ti

Dec 3, 2012
What did this resolve for you ?

Has anybody else performed this with any benefit?

Tigertim001

Apr 29, 2010
looks like i need to do this also. Anyone have the part numbers for the two parts or a link to where i can buy them from?

tully78

Jan 8, 2014
WHT-001-976 for the shim..
O2M-301-211-B for the black end cap.

That's everything u need.

The snap ring is a bit of a pain to remove.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Have just got this fitted, took about 30 mins out in the drizzle including jacking the car and taking the wheel off.

As I pulled the retaining clip off the whole shaft clearly moved a mm or 2 and once the shim was in there was no movement at all! The video on YouTube couldn't be any clearer, this really is worth doing as a fix or a prevention.

After a 10 minute test drive, gear changes feel more precise and there's no more droning in 5th gear when I lift off the accelerator! Thanks massively to Tully for the heads up :thumbup:

chrispcupre

Jul 27, 2011
leicestershire
Have just got this fitted, took about 30 mins out in the drizzle including jacking the car and taking the wheel off.

As I pulled the retaining clip off the whole shaft clearly moved a mm or 2 and once the shim was in there was no movement at all! The video on YouTube couldn't be any clearer, this really is worth doing as a fix or a prevention.

After a 10 minute test drive, gear changes feel more precise and there's no more droning in 5th gear when I lift off the accelerator! Thanks massively to Tully for the heads up :thumbup:

That's good news hopefully it will quiet down mine abit aswell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tully78

Jan 8, 2014
It's a pleasure mate. Glad it worked for you.
Certainly made a difference mines been good as gold since.
Did u lose a bit of oil when removing black cap?

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Yes mate, only about an egg cup worth though.

Chris - it will sort the noise out straight away, mines been quiet and have done another 20-odd miles since fitting it earlier.

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
just like to add I fitted the parts suggested by tully and its totally cured my whine/drone in 3rd. it started to sound soo bad but after fitting this its quiet like a new gearbox! and I agree with dgjdrummer the gearchanges feel more crisp.

massive thanks to tully as I was planning on sending the box off to be rebuilt and now I don't need to :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.