m0rk's 2007 SEAT Altea Freetrack 2.0T 250bhp AWD People Carrier

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
So, I needed a new car after selling the Octavia a bit prematurely, and running around in a short term Ibiza Cupra was 'fun' but not really the car I needed for work, and hobbies and home

So I bought a SEAT Altea XL, like the family man I am

main.php

Oh god, it's one of those awful Freetrack's that has those gopping grey bumpers on it like the Rover Streetwise did.

main.php

Looks like I missed something off the badge here, I wonder what that means

main.php

Yup, I have one of the few 'UK' 4WD model cars that SEAT imported.

Shame the engines are probably big dull diesels for the school runs.

main.php

Hmmm, TFSI? Could it be... the 2.0 TFSI in the Mk5 Golf GTI? With 197bhp standard.

main.php

Sure was 197bhp. So I picked it up on Thursday lunchtime. By Thursday evening it had about 250-260bhp thanks to Revotechnik :D

So here's my new 670bhp driveway, with my 2.0T 260bhp AWD People Carrier.

main.php

Oh, and it swallows bikes whole, IKEA trips with ease, 35mpg, cruise control, partial leather, TV screen, parking sensors, blinds, sliding seats, loads

jreedy

turbo'd ep3- Fr tdi leon
May 13, 2008
sheffield
Lovely collection of cars on the driveway mate

I didn't even no they did a Altea with the 2.0 TFSI lump.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Was going to say mate, this will be a perfect bike carrier!!

It had to be a consideration!

That said, the day after I bought the car, I picked up the keys to my new house which is only a mile from the closest trails!

These look awesome :D

I've never been a big fan of the back of the Altea as I think they could have done a bit more with the rear lights but the rest of it looks quite nice :D

Yeah, it certainly isn't a looker from most angles. It's growing on me, but the amusement factor drew me in far more.

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
Nothing wrong with that though as long as it puts a smile on your face and with 260bhp it certainly should do lol

I'm guessing the freetrack explains the different coloured bumpers and are they slightly higher than the usual ones?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Basically... They're not unpainted like I though, they've gone out of their way to paint them a different colour.

I'd quite fancy a subtle suspension drop to 'normal', and repaint the bumpers to make it a bit more normal looking to help the sleeper ideal.

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
Yeah I can understand that, I'm not sure why manufacturers do the whole 2 tone thing it just looks a bit weird

Are you planning on keeping this one for a while then? I'm sure you've had loads of different cars lol

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Repmobiles, so called 'hot' hatches etc

It's been torrential with rain today, but sloshing through water that'd normally cause aquaplaning the Altea felt well planted

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
Mine doesn't exactly feel planted at any point but once I've got a few bits sorted I'll be a lot happier :D

I've never had a 4WD car, Are they a bit 'boring' for handling or are they the opposite and just give you a lot of confidence?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Less 'exciting' from a torque steer point of view, and the 4WD dulls the power delivery (wheelspin)

Power understeer is still there if you go into a wet roundabout, mash the throttle. Equally, you can yank the handbrake, with esp off and it'll get you out easily enough.

I'm looking forward to the 24hrs of snow in 7 months time

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
Ah ok I never knew that, I understood how a 4WD car can get the power delivery down easier as it's delivered to all 4 wheels not just the usual 2 but I wasn't sure how it converted when it comes to cornering as well though.

Cheers for explaining it to me, I'm only simple lol

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Went and found some 'off road' today on a fire road round the local forest.

Lots of acceleration & grippy slidey drifty things.

Apparently it looked pretty funny four wheel drifting through gravel

kevlaa

Altea Stylance / Arona FR Evo
Oct 12, 2010
s.wales
I wish I had waited and hunted one of these beauts down myself! Perfect family car!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.