LED hightlights

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
A lot of comments here lead me to believe that for some they have not been adjusted correctly. Like all headlights they have two adjustment screw's per side, one vertical and one horizontal. I posted a diagram of these elsewhere.
My suspicion is that these are not checked at the dealer as they should be at the price (pre delivery inspection).

You are spot on, and a lot of the SEAT dealers seem to be crap going by posts on here. It is prob no coincidence that I have a good dealer and my lights are set correct.

mick_n3

Jul 23, 2014
Kettering Northants
A lot of comments here lead me to believe that for some they have not been adjusted correctly. Like all headlights they have two adjustment screw's per side, one vertical and one horizontal. I posted a diagram of these elsewhere.
My suspicion is that these are not checked at the dealer as they should be at the price (pre delivery inspection).
Hit the nail on the head there, a lot of things that should be done on pdi aren't, as I have found out, the dealer networks seems to leave a lot to be desired.

sootytorques

Sep 9, 2013
Its a start !!

Dear Mr ,

Thank you for your recent contact with SEAT Customer Services.

I have forwarded your details to one of our Customer Relations Managers who will be in direct contact with you shortly.

To get a full response in the quickest possible time we like to contact customers by telephone; if you haven’t supplied a
daytime number and would like us to call you, please either e-mail or call us quoting reference ST-2014/11-005153 and we will
pass it to your Customer Relations Manager.

Please be aware that where enquiries need some form of investigation or detailed technical information, it may take a couple of
days before we’re able to respond with the details you require.

In the meantime, if you have any further queries or updates, please call us on the number above.

Kind regards

John Good

SEAT UK

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
I bet you any money that Customer Relations Manager will just tell you to take it to a dealer to have them check it out.

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
I was one of those annoying numpties with a bunch of cars held up behind me this morning. Unlit road, darkness and fog and I couldn't see where I was going at all. It was a road I know well with a 50 limit, but I was unable to do more than 30 or so because I couldn't see the edge of the road and didn't want any kerbing going on.

I don't feel that the light from the LEDs cuts through fog or rain at all and the bloody Cupra doesn't even get front fogs to back them up!

*sits back to await all the replies stating how brilliant they are in fog/rain*

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I was one of those annoying numpties with a bunch of cars held up behind me this morning. Unlit road, darkness and fog and I couldn't see where I was going at all. It was a road I know well with a 50 limit, but I was unable to do more than 30 or so because I couldn't see the edge of the road and didn't want any kerbing going on.

I don't feel that the light from the LEDs cuts through fog or rain at all and the bloody Cupra doesn't even get front fogs to back them up!

Your lights must be well out of adjustment or you have some kind of eyesight problem, as I can go at 70 plus on 60 limit roads in the dark, with fog I slow down to a sensible speed but the LEDs light up the road great and no need for foglights at all, get it into the dealer and as you have so many faults, just leave it for a couple of days and get them all sorted. I'm sure they can sort you out with a courtesy car for the duration.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
got to be worth a visit, surely - mine are fine in rain and fog. In fact I think they're better in fog than high intensity halogens as the beam has such a sharp cutoff. with the halogens there's that scattering effect at the range limit and that's what bounces back. I haven't found that with LEDs.
must be something buggered....

Mar 13, 2011

Really does sound like there's something wrong with your lights fella. I've not been in fog yet, but my experience in normal darkness suggest yours must be different in some way. Got to be worth getting a dealer to check them out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

sootytorques

Sep 9, 2013
So for those of us unhappy, when car goes to dealer, what can they do, they will check alignment and thats oh and maybe park it next to another car and compare which is not very technical.
I have to agree with simonali how poor the lights are in this weather, I travel on country roads to work and its like the wet road absorbes the light unless you habe experienced it, it is hard to explain/imagine.
What I have also noticed when you look at the car, the left headlight, the left 2 led's are slightly brighter than the others or does this help to produce beam pattern.

Swahealy

Aug 26, 2013
London
Just driven to my girlfriends in Surrey on what is a very murky and misty night through Biggin hill and Westerham on very quiet B roads and then on to equally quiet A25. Full beam essential and even tried the fogs. My LEDs are superb with no beam bounce back and with the fogs on visibility was great. Not trying to rub it in, but those having issues must have defective sets. If still under warranty, I would seriously ask your dealer to change the units. As you guys have stated, having issues with visibility in fog/misty and poor visibility is a major safety issue when driving at night.

kmanmx

Jan 21, 2013
We really need to organize someone who reckons their cars LEDs are great and someone who says they are poor, to meet up somewhere and compare.

Last edited:

mick_n3

Jul 23, 2014
Kettering Northants
Must admit mine are much better than the Xenon's in the 3series I chopped in crisp white light, the other half used to hate driving the BM at night but she's quite happy with the Leon.
I picked up a new car the other night and the wife followed me back in the Leon, when looking in the mirror I must admit they are almost at the point of being too high, so maybe there is an adjustment issue with some.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Mine are also crap at cutting through rain. Was driving on wet roads the other day and I had to check whether the lights were on! In the dry they are good and if you look at them head on they are very bright, just not very good in the wet.

Stever750

Nov 20, 2014
West Wales
I was driving in patchy mist last couple of evenings, and I kept searching for the front fog light switch! They're OK in the fog, marginally better than conventional headlights. I've found ,mine to be OK in the rain too, but I bought mine from a competent dealer. The beam pattern / set up seems spot on for me.

StevenM

Apr 2, 2013
Left headlamp (alignment screws of right headlamp are symmetrical):

1 - Height adjuster screw
2 - Lateral adjustment screw

Note
The inclination heights in “%” are engraved on the left-hand side of the headlamp. Headlights must be adjusted according to this information. The percentage values relate to a 10 m projecting distance. Example: Converting a dip setting of 1.0 % = 10 cm.

Also check that both headlamps work at the same time when headlamp adjustment is activated.

oNjDmd4.png

Not sure but this is what the above post said Counter clockwise to raise level and vice versa. :shrug:

PS can't see anything about the 1% marking on my car

A bit of advice for anyone following this diagram...

I tried adjusting my beam height this morning only to find that No.1 actually adjusts the beam left to right and No.2 adjusts the height.

In the process of moving the beam back to centre I managed to break the adjuster on the back of the unit! GRRRRRRRR!

Spoken to my local dealer and checked ETKA only to find the adjuster is part of the LED unit and not available separately. So I've p!ssed about with it for half an hour, removed the wheel arch liner, and completely removed the lateral mechanism. Luckily with all the mechanism rods removed the final drive adjuster is a hex fitting and there's just about enough room to get my hand behind the headlight and get an Allen key in.

Now I'm off to the local garage to get them realigned properly :)

Sent from my piece of shite iPhone - according to Muz.

gartner

Oct 25, 2014
A bit of advice for anyone following this diagram...

I tried adjusting my beam height this morning only to find that No.1 actually adjusts the beam left to right and No.2 adjusts the height.

In the process of moving the beam back to centre I managed to break the adjuster on the back of the unit! GRRRRRRRR!

Spoken to my local dealer and checked ETKA only to find the adjuster is part of the LED unit and not available separately. So I've p!ssed about with it for half an hour, removed the wheel arch liner, and completely removed the lateral mechanism. Luckily with all the mechanism rods removed the final drive adjuster is a hex fitting and there's just about enough room to get my hand behind the headlight and get an Allen key in.

Now I'm off to the local garage to get them realigned properly :)

How is that possible? I adjusted mine with the outer/upper one, that is number 1. I saw the beam moving up and down while turning it.

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England
As I've surmised above, I suspect that quality control for the emitters is lax. They're probably using more than one supplier and I've got the cheap Chinese ones with a crappy output!

Ive had a quick look at those 2 videos above and they don't really prove much. The first one should use the Audi A6 as a 3 way comparison, as it is one of the few cars on the market that is available with all 3 types of headlight, not compare a brand new Audi to a 10 year old Alfa Romeo! As for the second review, my headlights don't appear to be as bright as the ones shown, but that video perfectly demonstrates how pathetically weak the main beam is...

Just in case people are not aware the Headlights are made by Valeo and make Led lights for all Cars But they only supply Seat with LED headlights So maybe you are right and Bosch makes all the German Cars ones

http://www.valeo.com/en/at-the-heart-of-innovation/valeo-in-your-car.html?filter-maker=Seat

Last edited:

StevenM

Apr 2, 2013
How is that possible? I adjusted mine with the outer/upper one, that is number 1. I saw the beam moving up and down while turning it.

The left and right movement will appear to adjust them up and down slightly if your are doing it up against a wall, it did for me too, because it moves the 'hot' and the 'kick-up' part of the pattern. If you look at the block of LEDs inside the lamp while turning the outer adjuster you will see the whole thing move from one side to the other

I've just been to my local Indy to use his beam alignment machine thingy and can confirm that No.1 is left to right and No.2 is up and down.

gartner

Oct 25, 2014
The left and right movement will appear to adjust them up and down slightly if your are doing it up against a wall, it did for me too, because it moves the 'hot' and the 'kick-up' part of the pattern. If you look at the block of LEDs inside the lamp while turning the outer adjuster you will see the whole thing move from one side to the other

I've just been to my local Indy to use his beam alignment machine thingy and can confirm that No.1 is left to right and No.2 is up and down.

Ok, now I can't wait to try it again...thank you for the info[B)].

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise