Rain/Light Sensor Coding Mk3 FR

worleyg

Nov 13, 2012
I've just removed the humidity sensor on an FR with no convenience pack and replaced it with the combined rain, light and humidity sensor. After some fun with VCDS I know have auto lights and auto wipers. Despite enabling leaving home function it just doesnt seem to work for me. Can someone who has VCDS and the technology pack mind scanning their config for me? I'd be interested to know both the coding and channel map settings for the central electrics module. I'm sure I need to change another setting but my German simply isn't good enough to understand the channels in VCDS.

Many thanks
Graham

Tom_91

Feb 9, 2015
St. Albans
What is the humidity sensor used for and is it easy to swap out? I'm interested in this mod to get auto lights :)

As for your question I'm not sure, but I have achieved the same thing as leaving home with VCDS by linking the headlights to the interior light function which comes on when you unlock the car.

worleyg

Nov 13, 2012
The humidity sensor advises the air conditioning system of cabin conditions in order to keep the screen from misting. There is also one in the air intake. I have an FR which has the dual zone climate control so can't say for sure that this is present on the S or SE. You can easily tell if the wires are there. They will run in a little trim from the headlining to immediately behind the mirror. The additional cable for auto dimming mirror did not appear in my car not that I'm bothered about that.

You need a new sensor part number 5Q0 955 547 and a new light switch with auto position. Loads of the latter on eBay but ensure they are suitable for the golf mk7. They changed the way the fog light contacts worked from the Mk2 Leon and Mk6 Golf. Doubt youll get a Seat one without paying real money at the Stealers. The golf ones are white light rather than red. I picked a new sensor from eBay quite cheaply. Careful with second hand ones that the seller hasn't confused humidity only with light function as they are very similar.

The sensor can be changed by splitting the trim behind the mirror and removing it. You'll see a join level with the ball joint on it. Once the two halves are off, the mirror will come off its mount by turning it anti clockwise about a quarter turn. You'll then see the humidity sensor immediately behind this, held in with a clip. I decided to also remoice the gel pad behind this and replace it with a new one as I wasn't sure if it was OK for the job. It may well be OK. I dampened a new one to eliminate air and placed the new one with the gel sandwiched in the middle.

You then need to code the sensor to 00095D and disregard the VCDS long coding assistant as it doesn't quite understand this yet. Then tell the Central Electrics Module it has a rasin sensor / light sensor and that it has a light switch with auto position. Then its a case of doing the adaptations to enable auto lighting and activating the rain function of the wipers. I'm afraid I started a duplicate thread when asking for information. If you look for my other thread you'll see the comments from Dean0 which confirmed the right adaptations. Many thanks to him for that.

This is a real easy mod that doesn't involve any wiring. Cost me 50 quid and now I've got auto lights and wipers.

Reactions: mostafa syaj

worleyg

Nov 13, 2012
Dead easy. Put it in the off position, then press the switch hard in and turn it towards the sidelight position. It'll not go beyond this point, then pull the lightswitch straight out. That manoeuvre unlatches the back of the switch.

Tom_91

Feb 9, 2015
St. Albans
Great, I'll definitely be trying this mod. Do you know the part number for the Leon switch by any chance?

worleyg

Nov 13, 2012
I believe it is 5G0 941 431 AF with the addition of suffix IHA for the silver trim.

worleyg

Nov 13, 2012
Yeah. That's the one I bought. Not bad price for a new one. Dealer price is shocking.

Tom_91

Feb 9, 2015
St. Albans
Thanks. I think I might buy the proper switch from dealer though. Not having the right colour lights will likely bug me :p

Tom_91

Feb 9, 2015
St. Albans
The humidity sensor advises the air conditioning system of cabin conditions in order to keep the screen from misting. There is also one in the air intake. I have an FR which has the dual zone climate control so can't say for sure that this is present on the S or SE. You can easily tell if the wires are there. They will run in a little trim from the headlining to immediately behind the mirror. The additional cable for auto dimming mirror did not appear in my car not that I'm bothered about that.

You need a new sensor part number 5Q0 955 547 and a new light switch with auto position. Loads of the latter on eBay but ensure they are suitable for the golf mk7. They changed the way the fog light contacts worked from the Mk2 Leon and Mk6 Golf. Doubt youll get a Seat one without paying real money at the Stealers. The golf ones are white light rather than red. I picked a new sensor from eBay quite cheaply. Careful with second hand ones that the seller hasn't confused humidity only with light function as they are very similar.

The sensor can be changed by splitting the trim behind the mirror and removing it. You'll see a join level with the ball joint on it. Once the two halves are off, the mirror will come off its mount by turning it anti clockwise about a quarter turn. You'll then see the humidity sensor immediately behind this, held in with a clip. I decided to also remoice the gel pad behind this and replace it with a new one as I wasn't sure if it was OK for the job. It may well be OK. I dampened a new one to eliminate air and placed the new one with the gel sandwiched in the middle.

You then need to code the sensor to 00095D and disregard the VCDS long coding assistant as it doesn't quite understand this yet. Then tell the Central Electrics Module it has a rasin sensor / light sensor and that it has a light switch with auto position. Then its a case of doing the adaptations to enable auto lighting and activating the rain function of the wipers. I'm afraid I started a duplicate thread when asking for information. If you look for my other thread you'll see the comments from Dean0 which confirmed the right adaptations. Many thanks to him for that.

This is a real easy mod that doesn't involve any wiring. Cost me 50 quid and now I've got auto lights and wipers.

I've given this a go and can't seem to work out how to do what you describe as "code the sensor to 00095D" :confused: Whats the process in VCDS?

Cheers

worleyg

Nov 13, 2012
I've given this a go and can't seem to work out how to do what you describe as "code the sensor to 00095D" :confused: Whats the process in VCDS?

Cheers
Go into long coding and rather than use the wizard to calculate the number set the number to that value in the coding box. I.e. disregard the tick boxes etc that generate the long coding value.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tom_91

Feb 9, 2015
St. Albans
Go into long coding and rather than use the wizard to calculate the number set the number to that value in the coding box. I.e. disregard the tick boxes etc that generate the long coding value.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think I've finally managed to sort this now. Do you know how to change the sensitivity of the light sensor for the auto lights though? It seems to be far too sensitive at the moment.
Also is it possible to have the leaving home lights working 100% of the time regardless of how light it is outside?

Cheers

Last edited:

Deathjam

Aug 24, 2015
Leeds-ish

Sorry if I'm been stupid but, how easy is it to do the rain sensor, how is it best to split the trim, is it a sort of pinch action?

edit: figured it out was trying to pull the wrong part

Last edited:

Jack Jumpin

Jul 19, 2007
Just ordered the parts and have full VCDS, can any one post a quick guide to change the coding ?

Deathjam, did mange to sort it out ?

Cheers
JJ

Last edited:

billybob

Dec 11, 2015
but I have achieved the same thing as leaving home with VCDS by linking the headlights to the interior light function which comes on when you unlock the car.

Is this fairly simple? Do you have a rough explanation?