Icestorm's hybrid LCR mk1 374.2bhp and 341.8lbft

icestorm81

Sep 9, 2008
Dorset, Dorchester
It was the beginning of 2007 when I had been driving for 6 years and had built up my no claims bonus to 5 years and so could afford the insurance on a quicker car. My current car was a metallic black Fiat Bravo 1.6 HLX, which I had owned for almost 3 years and I had done all the cheap modifications for insurance, to make it a great little car. Power was only 108hp and it would cost a lot of money to make it quicker. Was originally going to get a Ford Focus ST MK1, but after seeing the Leon Cupra R in Project Gothan Racing 2 on the original Xbox, my mind was set. It was the late summer of 2007 that I finally sold the Bravo and then started the lookout for a Leon Cupra R in either red or yellow. Sometime around the middle of October, I was on my break at college, in the IT rooms, and came across a lovely red one with only 22,000 miles on the clock, it was just over 3 years old and the price was £11,500 ono. Sad news, it was over 300 miles away, but after talking to the buyer, my luck was in, he would be visiting his parents, which was only 100 miles away from me, the following weekend and he would hold the car. So that very weekend I headed down with a mate to see the car. It looked stunning, seeing it for the first time and after spending the next 30 minutes looking and checking it over I offered him £10,500 in cash and he accepted on the spot. Insurance was sorted out over the phone with one of the lowest quotes I found myself earlier, which was just over £700 with a £450 excess. The drive home was fun, it was a dry day and it took me a while to get used to all that power. The car stayed totally standard until the summer of 2009 when I got a Revo stage one map done, couple of months later was followed by a full turbo back 3'' blueflame exhaust and a Revo stage 2 map added. Main hybrid turbo work was carried out in the summer of 2016. More to follow

Current Modifications-

Engine-

IE rods
Supertech valves
Supertech exhaust valves
Piston rings
Engine head rebuild- skin, guides, valves
K04-380 hybrid turbo
Gen2 high flow manifold
V2.2 Silicon tip
Bosch 550cc injectors
AEM Water Meth kit
Toyo front intercooler
Custom stage 4 map
Forge baffled sump
Forge tfsi catch can
Forge 007p
PVC delete
N249 delete
NGK BKR7EIX Iridium Spark Plugs
Custom made TSR 3.5'' downpipe with de-cat going into 3'' blueflame system
Ram Air cone with Induction heat shield
3 bar map sensor
Vibratechnik engine mounts side x2
Vibratechnik engine mounts dogbone inserts

Gearbox-

No lift shift
Sachs performance clutch kit
New Luk DMF
Forge short shifter
Forge side to side short shifter
42 draft design solid shifter bushes

Suspension-

Bilstein B16 PSS9 adjustable coilover suspension kit
Corner weighted for fast road use
Neuspeed front upper strut brace
H&R front and rear arb
K-Mac Camber and Caster Adjustable Top Mounts
All bushes on front and rear changed to Superpro, including steering rack mount.

Wheels and brakes-

Lightweight bolts
2Forge ZF1 18x8 ultra lightweight alloys
Forge 5mm spacers front and rear
R888r medium compound tyres on front
AR1 road legal supersoft tyres on rear
Monza-RS 18'' alloy's with winter tyres for winter use
AP racing 6 pot calipers with 356mm 2 piece floating discs with ds2500 pads
308mm 2 piecs 'ECS' rear discs with new trw calipers, carriers with ds2500 pads
Braided brake lines
800c race brake fluid

Miscellaneous-

Aem digital boost gauge
Aem digital air fuel ratio gauge
Aem digital oil temperature gauge
Audi A3 8L centre air vent pod gauge holder
Aero Fronts
Golf mk7 rear wiper
Hids 6000k
Led high beams
Dark tints on rear

Future Modifications-

Garrett gtx3076r
4 wheel drive converversion
Gearbox rebuild with strengthened parts and longer ratio's
Quaife LSD
Custom made carbon fibre bonnet
Custom made carbon fibre wings
Custom made carbon fibre boot
polycarbonate windows
Full roll cage
Stripped out interior
Wide mouth conversion
Braided brake lines
1kg dry powder extinguisher
New pedal covers
Carbon wrap roof and mirrors
Full respray in heat sensitive paint
Upgraded colour coded pipes in engine bay
New mats
USP never miss a gear kit
greddy profec boost controller

Last edited:

icestorm81

Sep 9, 2008
Dorset, Dorchester
New Bilstein B16 PSS9 adjustable coilover suspension kit is now on the car, gone for a 20mm drop front and rear with 5mm forge spacers all around, now with my summer wheels fitted. The jacking covers are missing as they can't stay on without falling off so I am either going to superglue or ducktape them on.

Loving the new front stance now.

Looks so much better than the old ones.

Old suspension kit

Last edited:

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
For your jacking covers I've heard of some people fit them on the use a self-tapping screw underneath to secure them (might be worth a go)

icestorm81

Sep 9, 2008
Dorset, Dorchester
Car is currently at Badger 5 having the following fitted-

Uprated rods
Supertech valves
Supertech exhaust valves
Engine head rebuild
K04-380 hybrid turbo
Gen2 high flow manifold
V2.2 Silicon tip
Bosch 550cc injectors
AEM Water Meth kit
Toyo front intercooler
Forge baffled sump
Uprated engine mounts
Custom map

stevocupra

Jul 1, 2016
sweet looking lcr you have there. got a yellow one myself although it is many different shades. what power output is it your expecting to get once its done?

icestorm81

Sep 9, 2008
Dorset, Dorchester
Picked the car up yesterday and took it gentle for the 1st part of the journey as Iv not driven the car in 5 weeks up until the point of about half way home. I then I gave it some beans, the acceleration is brutal, to get some ideal how fast this hybrid is, 5th and 6th gear feel like 2nd and 3rd with a stage 1 map, 1st -3rd just smoke the tires with traction control turned off. Just 20 miles from home after driving 80 miles a R33 GTR rolled up and I left him until the car suddenly loss power going up a hill, foot to the floor. I guessed one of the coilpacks had gone as it had all the symptoms I had encountered before. The RAC wanted to tow it and after much debating they came and did a fault test and I was right, cylinder one coilpack had gone. Thinking of driving around with at least 2 spare ones, so I don't need to keep calling RAC out to sort it.

Last edited:

icestorm81

Sep 9, 2008
Dorset, Dorchester
How the engine bay looks now

Water meth pump and bottle in the boot 50/50 mixture

Trying to keep as much as the engine bay and car as standard, as I want people to think, what the hell is in that, when I put my foot down.

Last edited:

stevocupra

Jul 1, 2016
Looks good. Am surprised it still looks so stock under the bonnet with all that poke. Top job

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Congratulations, it's certainly how I like it, nothing outrageous to look at but proper performance!

Did it go on bills rollers at all?

icestorm81

Sep 9, 2008
Dorset, Dorchester
Yes it did, was around 360. He said as the engine beds in, it will get quicker. To get it up near his Lupo I need a 3.5 or 4'' system and a upgraded cam shaft.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.