Wiper no worky

Jonesy

Leftie and Proud
Sep 27, 2004
Pig Hill
Turned her on this morning and my wipers stopped half way across the screen on the first wipe :blink:
Rear not working either, so called the Seat number for breakdown and AA man turned up half an hour later :thumbup:
He opened the bonnet tapped a few things, draged the wipers back to start position and hey presto all working fine.

The outcome was 'Dealer to investigate' :blink:

Any ideas?

nugget

Lurking in the background
Never had an issue with the back wiper, but had a similar issue with the fronts, kept stopping mid wipe for a few seconds then starting again. Bloody scary when travelling in rain on the mway.
Had the motor replaced by the dealer in the end after I ranted about my near death experience, no problems since :)

Jonesy

Leftie and Proud
Sep 27, 2004
Pig Hill
nugget said:
Never had an issue with the back wiper, but had a similar issue with the fronts, kept stopping mid wipe for a few seconds then starting again. Bloody scary when travelling in rain on the mway.
Had the motor replaced by the dealer in the end after I ranted about my near death experience, no problems since :)

Would it be the motor in my case or some kind a of switch sticking maybe :blink:

I drive 70 miles a day on the motorway so don't want any new pants moments with the weather as it is at the moment :drive2:

Have 5000 miles of warranty left but think the dealer will do nothing as they are working fine now

Jonesy

Leftie and Proud
Sep 27, 2004
Pig Hill
Ar$e, bloody things gone again, waggled them and started working again, booked in Newbury Seat tomorrow hope they change something!!!!! :thumbd:

flashbsd

hi mate, you might find a loose or corroded connection in the wiper motor mech. they will prob just replace the whole motor unit, saves them time and hassle.

do they stop working only in the wet? e.g., (i know you only use them in the wet) but sounds like a wiring plug isnt insulated properly, try them in the dry and see :p

Jonesy

Leftie and Proud
Sep 27, 2004
Pig Hill
I take it the motor unit is situated under the black plastic cover drivers side, at the back behind engine :blink:

If it is i have noticed some water around that area, don't really want to play myself as its still under warranty :thumbup:

flashbsd

nah i wouldnt touch it. let the dealer sort it. but i reckon thats where the problem is, a wet connector/corroded one :)

Jonesy

Leftie and Proud
Sep 27, 2004
Pig Hill
Nads Nads Nads!!!!!

Dropped off a Newbury this morning after telling them the prob yesterday, rang them ant 2.30pm and was told

"Sorry sir we need to order a motor, car not available until Tuesday" :censored: :censored:

To which my reply was "Will be down to get car now, make sure it's as it was when I droppped it off as I need it for the weekend"

Then he said "Better hope it doesn't rain, we will ring when the part is in" :censored: :censored:

My parting reaponse was "NO, NO, NO you will rebook the car now for Tuesday and ring me only if the part does not arrive!!

Surely such a thing as a wiper motor is held in stock!!!!!!

Not a happy bunny :(

Stu B

DarthWombleIII & WombleII
Jonesy said:
Nads Nads Nads!!!!!

Dropped off a Newbury this morning after telling them the prob yesterday, rang them ant 2.30pm and was told

"Sorry sir we need to order a motor, car not available until Tuesday" :censored: :censored:

To which my reply was "Will be down to get car now, make sure it's as it was when I droppped it off as I need it for the weekend"

Then he said "Better hope it doesn't rain, we will ring when the part is in" :censored: :censored:

My parting reaponse was "NO, NO, NO you will rebook the car now for Tuesday and ring me only if the part does not arrive!!

Surely such a thing as a wiper motor is held in stock!!!!!!

Not a happy bunny :(

Newbury Seat not surprised... Sorry Jonesy.... Old days that part would have been ordered when car was being booked in, as a just in case we need one... Case..

SpareMan

Feb 8, 2006
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but . .

up until about November if a dealer ordered in a part and it was not used it could not be returned without incurring a handling charge from SEAT UK. In their wisdom SEAT UK (all of VWG in fact) have now changed it so most unused parts can now be returned FOC. There are some exceptions such as special vehicle specific parts (ie keys), hazardous parts or parts that are not stocked in the UK. Also smaller inexpensive parts cannot be sent back.

Some maller dealers wont keep wiper motors on the shelf due to them being relatively expensive, the number of variations for all models, a lack of sales or lack of space.

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
Spare Man
Seems like Spare Time to me Dave.
There was a time though when the main issue with front wipers was the linkages.
Found the same with Mk4 Golfs so this surely would be with the same platform cars?
Hope you have plenty to do mate ;)
Sarah

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members