Santa`s JABBA IHI powered LCR

Songman

Aug 10, 2003
Ayrshire
Visit site
Ho!Ho! Ho! and a packet full of mince pies -well! Donner and Blitzen! - I thought Santa lived in Lapland!! - this year for sure, he`s definitely moved to Jabbaland, and moreover, he`s delivered my Christmas a wee bit early too! - in the shape of IHI power for my LCR :D

Those who know me will, of course recognise and understand the very large grin on my face, when I yesterday picked up the car - my having waited more than three years for this kit!!

Those who know IHI power will of course already know what I am shouting about!!! :cloud9:
For those who don`t, well I sure can recommend the experience - start saving now! - you won`t regret it!!

I just want to say to all my friends at Jabbasport - many many thanks `guys and gals` for a great job well done, and for the expert, friendly, `bespoke` service you offered to me in the course of your turning my LCR into the car I always wanted it to be :clap: - Merry Christmas!!

Songman

Aug 10, 2003
Ayrshire
Visit site
spaniels fr said:
You lucky thing, what is the power output now?

The average of the 3 runs was 368 Bhp and 373ft/lbs torque on the new dyno at 1.6 bar boost - I`ll post the chart etc when I`ve more time, and can manage to get out of the car and stop playing with it!!

Last edited:

Triple D

Songman said:
The average of the 3 runs was 368 Bhp and 373ft/lbs torque on the new dyno at 1.6 bar boost - I`ll post the chart etc when I`ve more time, and can manage to get out of the car and stop playing with it!!
They seem pretty good figures mate, now what you need to do is find a 911 driver get right up his arse and then leave him when he takes the bate and see if he posts on here about being whoop'd by a LCR :lol:

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
Congrats songman, 1st lcr i know of to be IHI'd matey,, look after it and those wheels too mate :drool:

cant remember did you do uprated internals too?

Songman

Aug 10, 2003
Ayrshire
Visit site
Madmile said:
I take it you went vf34 .20 then. Nice results and i am sure your enjoying it.

Thanks! - you know only too well how much I am enjoying this!!
I did as much as I could with the smallport -
vf34.20/ flowed head/ inconel~nimonic80 valves/flowed Dahlback/ forged Pauter rods/Jabba FMIC /Evoshield/Aquamist/Jabba Variable boost/3" exhaust 100 cell cat into 2.75" rear Milltek single box/ cold air intake - good power to 7800
Dyno figures apart - It really moves along very smartly on the road, :D :scary:

Last edited:

dan-ish

Audi Techie
Jan 26, 2005
darwen
Mike T was well impressed when I spoke to him the other day he was well impressed with the torque :D
You can't beet that first drive home when IHI'd,makes a jumbo feel slow.

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Good going mate [B)] 1st IHI LCR ive heard of in UK although there are a few on the continent.

Do you have control in 1st and 2nd or is it wheelspin city? Is there traction in 3rd?

Noticed no uprated clutch? Mine is slipping quite badly now :(

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
Songman said:
Thanks! - you know only too well how much I am enjoying this!!
I did as much as I could with the smallport -
vf34.20/ flowed head/ inconel~nimonic80 valves/flowed Dahlback/ forged Pauter rods/Jabba FMIC /Evoshield/Aquamist/Jabba Variable boost/3" exhaust 100 cell cat into 2.75" rear Milltek single box/ cold air intake - good power to 7800
Dyno figures apart - It really moves along very smartly on the road, :D :scary:

Just so we could have compared it would have been good if you had gone pe1820f, seeing how well it spooled would have been intresting.

I am sure Mike T told me a few days ago he did a 180bhp Audi TT on a .20 vf34 and it did 350bhp 350lbs/ft on the new rollers stnd engine as well i believe.

Last edited:

Yumann

May 17, 2002
Glasgow
John cracking results especially the torque, must be eye watering! :thumbup:

You got to take me out for a spin ;)

Do you think the dalhback made much difference to the torque?

Once again impressive figures.

MantisGW

Congrats John - you waited a while and I know it's all worth it. Keep your eye open for that ferrari :rolleyes: I won't be able to keep up with you now- bugger :cry:

dan-ish

Audi Techie
Jan 26, 2005
darwen
Madmile said:
I am sure Mike T told me a few days ago he did a 180bhp Audi TT on a .20 vf34 and it did 350bhp 350lbs/ft on the new rollers stnd engine as well i believe.
r
Mike told me about the TT good result as mike was expecting 330.
It would be intresting to see more results out of the PE(if not for my own intrest as it's part of the twin set up)But.... as Mike said the torque results of the leon plus a PE should give neck breaking performance :thumbup:

Songman

Aug 10, 2003
Ayrshire
Visit site
IHI Thoughts

Well - that`s me back fro my 15th trip to Tesco`s today - always go the long way round too - better lie low now in case I infuriate the local Traffic Department

Thanks `yo al` for the kind comments - I`m sure we are all in the same boat as to our regard for the LCR - I`m so glad that the firepower is now available to give it performance to match its looks

As to the spec of the car, well I gave the lads `carte blanche` to do what they thought was right for me - the car is my `daily driver` and being FWD Mike tailored the power curve for `driveability` rather than full out power - I think he got 400+ ft/lbs and about 380 bhp but decided to set it back a bit - all out BHP was not my sole goal - you will see from the readout that the car gives 320+BHP from 4500 to7500 - the final cut out is 7800
My previous experience of modding over the years tells me that it is easy to get too excited go a bit too far, compromising drivability and/or reliability - thus spoiling the fun!
The `way to happiness`in my opinion, is to aim for 90% use, and engineer for 110% - that`s what i`ve tried to do with the LCR

General opinion was that the PE1820 needed the largeport to maximise the potential benefits - the Dahlback is proven but did not suit the largeport either, and Jabba`s inlet manifold is really still in the development stages, so I was happy to live with the vf34.20 and its slightly faster spoolup time which perhaps suits general road use better - less top end for sure, but almost the same torque as the bigger setup

With general road use in mind, I was happy to stick with the standard S3 pistons as they are strong enough and well run in anyway.
I didn`t want to lower the CR as theory tends to indicate that this affects part throttle/off boost combustion efficiency and thus fuel economy
I wanted to change the rods and the valves, - potential weak spots - just to give myself peace of mind and confidence to use the full available performance.
The forged rods also allowed Mike to fully exploit the vf 34.20`s full potential

Having decided to stay with the smallport, I had it flowed to maximise its potential.
The runners of Dahlback were also flowed and matched to the head.

3" exhaust is needed for this sort of power and 100cell cat used too.
Jabba 3" downpipe/cat/exhaust mated to Milltek 2.75" system before back axle {to avoid clearance problems} - no centre resonator - standard Milltek dual outlet backbox kept {to try to limit noise!]

The standard LCR intercoolers work quite well but are a bit restrictive, so we used Jabba`s front mount, and of course EVO shield phenolic spacer/gasket and Aquamist [water/methanol] to try to kill the heat, and maximise the potential available power.
Also used Jabba`s variable boost to allow for differing driving conditions/ fuel avalability, and Jabba`s cold air induction kit - Hyperboost DV and Samco inlet hose too.
When rebuilding in adittion to the new kit and `bits and bobs` and we also used new lambda probes - new timing belt - new water pump with metal impeller - and Toledo 5ltr washer bottle to maximise range of Aquamist!
Fitted a Spa - Design dual boost/EGT gauge to monitor`events`too

The gearbox is standard internal ratios and final drive - we used an uprated Sachs clutch, and Quaife diff. and Nuespeed quickshift

Brakes are - front Porsche 993 Turbo `Big reds` - 323/32 two piece discs and Porsche Turbo pads - Goodridge hoses - Rear standard size EBC `Turbo Groove ` discs and `Red Stuff`pads

We rebushed the car front and rear with `Powerflex`poly bushes - used VF engineering `dogbone` mount, S3 strut brace, and Eibach rear ARB and Eibach front adjustable ARB together with Eibach Pro - Street coilovers, dropped about 20mm

Wheels are Sportec Mono 8.5/18 with 6mm integral spacers running at present P-Zero Corsa 235/40/18

Thats the mods for now - i`ve got a bit of `bling` to do yet but am not far off finished - just have to see how I get on with this lot

How much did it cost? - I hear the question! - Loadsaaaa!!!! is the answer - one LCR for the price of two and the rest!!
Real power costs real dosh unfortunately and when you get to these sort of power outputs, then there are real safety issues at stake if you get it wrong!!!

I just love the LCR - I love its looks, its rebel spirit and its iconoclastic nature - the purists hate it because its FWD not RWD or AWD - it shouldn`t be they say - It`s not even a Volkswagen - its a Seat - Gawd!!!

I have to say that in IHI guise the LCR is not a prospect for the faint hearted! - it needs commitment, finesse and 120% concentration to get the best out of it - have no doubts! - give it half a chance and it will bite you in the ass - big time!

There`s the fun of mastering it though - FWD is the greatest driving challenge I always think - no AWD traction to flatter your skill - no fancy RWD powerslides a la Clarkson to impress the wee`uns - just your skill against the system and its failings - that`s the thrill :)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
I remember picking my car up and custardcupra was behind me coming up the A1 we had just stopped and refilled at the optimax station just outside peterborough. I bought a nice prawn sarnie and we were just pottering along, the roads were wet -greasy-salty and i was just tucking into my sarnie and driving one handed as you do. I thought i would just give it a tickle as the road was straight, 3rd gear 60mph+ and it hit 20psi the car started to snake along the road badly prawn sarnie was everywhere and CC was laughing his arse off behind as i picked all the prawns up from me and around the footwell. Wait till summer and the car becomes so much more fun, traction is impossible at he moment, its frustrating. The best thing is the ability to stop knob head m3 and scooby/Evo supercar drivers from being an arse with you. I was pottering along doing 70mph on a dual carriageway and as i got alongside a Tvr he decided as we exited a r-about he would leave me in the outside lane and floor it. I kicked his arse and went around him anyway. It makes the £1000's spent worth every penny.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.