Leon ashtray iPod dock

xJib

So after trying out some different iPod solutions where you use the stereo to control the iPod I found them to be really clumsy and slow, so I thought that I’d try and make my own.

To start the Sony CDX-NC9950 that I had upgraded had an AUX in so this was going to be the method to interface with the iPod. The other thing I wanted to do was keep the iPod charged up so I also had to include some power as well.

I used a Belkin power adapter as part of it’s dock connector for charging it also had a 3mm headphone jack.

The first thing was to cut and smooth all the inside of the ashtray.

Next was to dismantle the dock connector, this including removing the metal shroud and a little bit of soldering.

Next was to cut a hole in the front of the ashtray to feed the dock conector in. I would have liked to have not to do this but there wasn’t enough room. Now you may be thinking why did I just have it the other way round? Well I did it this way as I still wanted to use the iPods user interface, and it’s really hard to do up side down.

dock1.jpg

Then to tidy it up I built up the front with some plastic strips, the used filler, the sanded it down so it’s smooth and painted it black.

dock2.jpg

The Belkin power adapter was the wired into the switch 12v under the dash so the iPod would stop playing when the ignition was turned off, and the headphone cable went into the back of the headunits AUX ports.

dock3.jpg

And when it wasn’t in use then all you had to do was shut the ashtray.

dock4.jpg

Sound quality was excellent and it was really easy to control the iPod from the driver’s seat.

One final note, I built this about 3 months ago and have only just got round to writing this thread, and since then the LCR has been replace with a new Leon. But I still have the dock.

A16NS V

Don't tell my boss
May 2, 2005
Middle-lands
Only just seen this and well done you! What a great solution. I've done exactly the same but used a holder underneath my mobilephone kit.

If mine wasn't a company car I'd have a go at this!

A16NS V

Don't tell my boss
May 2, 2005
Middle-lands
Just thought I'd drag this old thread out as I have now done the same-ish!

I didn't want to have the front changed so decided to mess around with the back. The Ipod's upside down but I set the thing on shuffle mostly and let it play so it's not as important to me.

Some pics..

Using a dremel I cut the inside bits that would foul the ipod and then glued in a leather back plate from a old case I had.

2ndtrySmall.jpg

I then glued in the dock connector from the Belkin charger/aux out and made sure the Ipod would slip in and out easily.
2ndtry5Small.jpg

Once all back together...now you see it

2ndtry4Small.jpg

Now you don't!:funk:
2ndtry3Small.jpg

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.