Oil Pressure & Oil Temp Gauges

Deejay

no prawn sarnies ere
Nov 8, 2002
ЯEPUБLIC OF MANCUNIA
got oil temp and oil pressure on mine no probs, dont understand why everyone is struggling so much, I just bought a t-piece from awesome.
will post some pics from home tonight if it helps any of you?

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Deejay, yeh I took my autometer sensor out yesterday and it looks like it may fit as long as the T-Piece is as long as the demon tweeks one I was sent last time!! Pictures would be great, you running autometer too?

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
Craig! said:
What I need is a re-location kit that has an M10x1 Male joining line, which leads into a block that'll take two 1/8NPT Male sender units, I presume the one you have bought it like this?

If its not too much trouble can you get some pictures of the kit once it arrives?

yeah i will post some pics up when it arrives mate

Deejay

no prawn sarnies ere
Nov 8, 2002
ЯEPUБLIC OF MANCUNIA
How the hell did you get to the original oil pressure switch and put in the t-piece and sender ?? I can just about get the tips of my fingers to it littleown undo it and screw the t-piece in to attach pressure sender !!

no original oil pressure switch on mine.....presume you mean the screw in bung:confused:

Either way, its not easy, had to remove the dipstick and alot of the bracketry housing when i did it to get the damn thing to fit. I used an angled socket set to remove alot of the bits (helps having a mechanic next door).

Then its just a case of removing the bung, screwing in the tee piece, then screwing the oil pressure sender and oil temp sender into that and wiring up, then check for any leaks (I had to use plumbers PTFE tape on mine).

leegt5

May 17, 2006
This Bung where is that located ?? I am fitting oil pressure sender not temp sender !! I am wanting to remove original oil pressure switch, screw in t-piece then attach original oil pressure switch and pressure sender into it !!

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Well as you know I wanted to run both Oil Temp and Oil Pressure and I wanted both to read as accuratly as possible, sometimes fitting the temp sender into the filter water jacket doesnt give an active reading because some adaptors dont allow enough fresh flow to the sender unit.

So to over come this I got one sump bolt, one oil sender, two copper washers an array of drill bits and a 1/8NPT tap. The plan was to mount the bolt in the sump and make it part of the sump bolt, this would allow for accurate sump temps.

After getting fed up of trying to gain access to a lathe I finally gave it a go with an average household pillar drill and came up with this;

gauge_install1.JPG

After fitting it into the sump and checking for leaks for several weeks all seemed fine, and it also worked really well too. Here's a picture of it installed on the car;

gauge_install2.JPG

Next was oil pressure, I had to make the sensor plus addaptor (note if you use Autometer you'll need a 1/8NPT Female to M10x1 Male addaptor) fit a very tight space and it wasnt going to be too east and it involved a lot of knuckle flesh been lost.

Here's the oil pressure sensor with the addaptor;

cupra_oilsender.JPG

The chosen location to mount this was on the top of the oil filter housing, which is where I had previously fitted one to my 1.6 Sport, here's where to find the blanking plus which allows for the sensor to be fitted.

cupra_blankingplug.JPG

To even get the sensor in here a metal bracket had to be removed, once the bracket was remove I could then attempt to fit the sensor. It did take time and required a few things to be moved out the way but the end result was all good;

gauge_install3.JPG

The bracket which had to be cut down held the three plugs show in the picture, heres the bracket after modification, you can see i've cut out all the back plate and an inch out of the top bend, this only took a few minutes to do;

gauge_install4.JPG

gauge_install5.JPG

These are the only pictures I've got at the moment, when I get round to it i'll add the electrical side of things, however if you do a search you should be able to find a previous post by me regarding how to wire it up in a 1.6 Sport, the electrical wiring in both cars are just the same.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Great pics there craig, ive had a oil pressure gauge for 18 months now and havent managed to plumb the send in at all. lol. Will have a bash on the weekend.

leegt5

May 17, 2006
So I don't need the t-piece from awesome that I have to go in that blanking plug.... Would your sender plug straight in or is that why you have the brass extender ??

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Autometer sensors are an imperial thread (1/8 NPT) the blanking plug you remove is an M10x1 thread, if your sensor doesnt have an M10x1 thread than you'll need an addaptor of some sort.

leegt5

May 17, 2006
My sender is a M10x1 thread.. So will it go straight in then I take it !! Just got to get to it !! lol

flashbsd

there is a thing from demon tweeks that screws into your sump for a 1/8 thread sensor :)

Ibiza Cupra

I wanted oil temp and pres in a cupra r pod, i didn't realise it would be this much hassle!!!!!!! Boost gauge was easy!!!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members