rear camber

koush

Oct 30, 2010
Churchdown,Gloucester
Hello,

I had to get new rear tyres today because the inner edges were worn smooth and the rest of the tyres had about 4mm left on them. Once the tyre place fitted they checked the tracking and camber of the rear wheels, they were sitting at -3.0 degrees, saw it for myself. However they could not adjust them because the car is lowered and with 19" wheels, it would catch the wheel arch over bumps. They reckon the previous owner made the camber that way to stop it from rubbing. Question is, is -3.0 too much negative camber, and what is the correct setting. On my autodata its say it should 1.4 degrees, but that would make the tyre stick out of the arches by 3-4mm. the car is a 2006 tdi 140sport. any suggestions?

koush

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Had the geometry done on my FR the other week and the rear camber range is -1o15' to -2o15'. My left rear is set at -1o45' and the right rear at -1o43'.

bil44

Aug 13, 2011
Just to ask does the negative camber affect the stability of the car? The back end on my FR seems way to lively especially when going right around a round about and not even at excessive speed

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Just to ask does the negative camber affect the stability of the car? The back end on my FR seems way to lively especially when going right around a round about and not even at excessive speed

Some negative camber is supposed to be good for handling. Might be worth getting the geometry checked to see if anything needs adjusting. Also, are your rear tyres ok?

DBD19

Feb 9, 2011
when i lowered to sportlines had all four corners set up....made hell of a lot of difference to cornering

well worth checking out

koush

Oct 30, 2010
Churchdown,Gloucester
ok, just got from getting it tracked. now the drivers rear sticks out more than the pass rear. they have checked the tracking and it is spot on. it sticks out about 2-3mm more on the drivers side. when I put a spirit level on the wheel on the drivers side its dead level, but the pass side lean in a bit at the top. any idea what to check next? oh yeah, the wheels are the right offset and the tyres are all the same size.

Koush

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
What machine did they use to check it? Ideally you want it done on a Hunter Four Wheel Alignment machine.

www.alignmycar.co.uk/

I have been told on a couple of occasions by tyre places that the passenger side should have a bit more camber to counteract the natural road camber. Whether this is correct or not I don't know.

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Is it on a flat surface? Mine looks a bit off when parked in the driveway (which slopes to one side).

Short of that, I don't know. Suspension/shocks ok??

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.