Should there be a low level warning for washer fluid

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
Hi Guys/Girls, I've just recently got a 08 leon cupra and I would of thought it should have a low level warning for when your getting low on washer fluid. My mk1 leon did and this leon seems to have alarms for everything else so am i right to assume the sensor has gone duff!

Can anyone confirm that they have a warning for when the fluid is getting low before i go trying to book it for a fault it might not have?
Thanks.

irvine

I can confirm there is a low level light appears when running low. Came on when I was coming home 10 mins ago.

steroidchris

Feb 14, 2011
Brierley Hill
I'm not trying to be funny or take the piss but how about filling up on weekends? I've never needed a light on the dash since I've been doing this.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Only if you have xenons.

Not (only)

If you have xenons you need a warning light on the dash by law (I think) so this will follow that cars with xenons have the sensor. There are cars without xenons that have the sensor but it's just down to luck as far as the thread we had ages ago showed.

My Exeo has an animated warning for washer fluid level and all the other warnings too. :p Ity's one of the little touches that make me really like the Exeo.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
I'm not trying to be funny or take the piss but how about filling up on weekends? I've never needed a light on the dash since I've been doing this.

What about those commuting daily, washers probably wont last a week depending on weather / road conditions.

My ibiza hasnt got, puzzles me how a 1996 nissan sunny has a light and a 07 seat hasnt!

steroidchris

Feb 14, 2011
Brierley Hill
Of course I have. But not so much since I've taken my time to top up at a weekend. A washer bottle is around 4 litres, this will last most people's weeks. Do you only check your oil when the light comes on? If you are your living a dangerous game.

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
Pretty sure you should be able to retrofit this. I'm sure the Leon uses the same bottle as a Golf mk5 (my wife's Altea seems to share the same tank), it was part of the loom when I retrofitted headlamp washers, but can be added independently.

Basically conists of...drilling a hole in the bottle, inserting a grommet seal, plugging in a sensor, running the wires into the cabin to take power, and a wire into the instrument cluster. Activate it with VCDS and job done.

If any of you guys have VCDS, try activating it. If it instantly comes up stating you're low on fluid then it's got to be do-able.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Was looking into this today, you can check whether the car has the sensor by the circled section on the bottle:

Capture_zps8a01adab.png

As you can see mine does not have the sensor. The sensor itself is pretty cheap to buy http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windshiel...19-376-Fits-Many-Models-VW-AUDI-/290885364477 but the fitting is fairly involved. Good guide here if you plan on retrofitting - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/263753-low-screenwash-warning-added/

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members