Convenience Pack - Lights always dipped

lethalMango

Sep 23, 2014
Hi all,

First of all hello :D New to the forum after buying a 2014 Seat Leon MK3 2.0 TDI 184 and love it so far :)

One thing I have noticed is that the convenience pack always seems to result in the lights being dipped rather than just on DRL. The light control switch is set to auto with an orange background light and the sidelight icon is lit in green.

Granted I went to work at 8am and returned at 6pm, but there were sections of pure sunshine and the lights didnt drop back down to DRL which I'd have expected.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

lethalMango

Sep 23, 2014
Is it possible the light sensor got dirty (although unlikely 2 days in!)? I'm not sure where the light sensor actually is.

Also, is there any way to differentiate whether the sidelights are on vs the dipped beams? I noticed the colours on the control switch but didn't know if they represented anything?

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Well, now I'm confused.

I don't have any lights on my dash for the headlights, at all, except for main beam when I get a blue icon. The rest of the time, no matter whether the lights are on or just DRL, there is nothing.

Am I to take it then that there should be, and this is in fact a fault?

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
The DRLs will be on all the time. When set to auto the dipped beam will be on when it's dark enough and the switch will be illuminated in green if dipped lights are on. There are no side lights with the LED lights so it's either DRLs or dipped.

If it's just dipped lights then the switch will only be orange, the green dipped lights light will not be illuminated.

The dash lighting has a separate sensor so it's possible to have the dipped lights on but no dash lighting which can be weird. I've also found that if it has been dark and then gets light, the dipped lights will remain on until I reach my destination.

I would try the lights at a few different times of the day before taking the car back as the sensor can be quite sensitive at times.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
The DRLs will be on all the time. When set to auto the dipped beam will be on when it's dark enough and the switch will be illuminated in green if dipped lights are on. There are no side lights with the LED lights so it's either DRLs or dipped.

If it's just dipped lights then the switch will only be orange, the green dipped lights light will not be illuminated.

The dash lighting has a separate sensor so it's possible to have the dipped lights on but no dash lighting which can be weird. I've also found that if it has been dark and then gets light, the dipped lights will remain on until I reach my destination.

I would try the lights at a few different times of the day before taking the car back as the sensor can be quite sensitive at times.

Excellent explanation, thanks! :)

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
I think the light sensor may be located at the top centre of the windscreen in front of the rear view mirror. You could try adjusting the sensitivity of the automatic headlamps sensor using the menus on the touchscreen display - I think you can choose between high, medium or low sensitivity settings. The user manual should also explain this.

szczeslaw

Sep 24, 2014

I actually think it's not entirely truth, unless in UK configuration is different than in other markets.
Yes - dash has it's own light sensor, but it only tells you to switch on the lights, by dimming instrument panel backlight when it's too dark. All other lights on dash panel (radio buttons etc.) will only switch on when dipped beam lights are on.
Lights switch will be green when dipped beam lights are on. It's orange when only DRLs are on.

Like FRTSIman said - maybe just sensitivity needs to be checked OR, if i remember correctly, there should be an option in the menu, to disable light sensor at all. If it's disabled, in AUTO position dipped beam lights will be always on.

roger7248

Sep 28, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
A wonderful example of electronics being too good for their own benefit.
Fortunately i don't have the convenience pack, so all I do is switch the lights on with the switch when it gets dark :happy:

lethalMango

Sep 23, 2014

Perfect thank you for that!

Your point about "I've also found that if it has been dark and then gets light, the dipped lights will remain on until I reach my destination." fits perfectly.

Having driven another few hundred miles I've noticed that only the DRLs are on during the day but when going through tree lined roads for example the dipped beams come on. It's then 50/50 as to whether they will switch back to DRL only or stay on until I turn the engine off and on again.

Also heading to work in the morning in the dark the dipped beams don't switch off until I arrive.

I'll try the sensitivity set to low and see if that helps the cause. At least I know now it's not just mine :) Thanks!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.