Moe

Dec 15, 2019
2.0 184 with stage 1 remap
Averaging 37mpg
Is that normal? I feel like it's not enough

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Is that a diesel or petrol? Sorry not too sure with the numbers. Sounds normal to me if it’s petrol because with the map it’s probably about 210-220?

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
2.0 184 with stage 1 remap
Averaging 37mpg
Is that normal? I feel like it's not enough

What sort of driving were you doing to get that figure?

I have a 184 with a DTUK chip which is essentially stage 1 so can compare with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moe

Dec 15, 2019
Is that a diesel or petrol? Sorry not too sure with the numbers. Sounds normal to me if it’s petrol because with the map it’s probably about 210-220?
It is actually a diesel mate. Yeah you're very close is 215 now.

Moe

Dec 15, 2019
What sort of driving were you doing to get that figure?

I have a 184 with a DTUK chip which is essentially stage 1 so can compare with you.

Very economical, to try and see the milage I could get from a full tank. Probably getting just about 400 miles...

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Very economical, to try and see the milage I could get from a full tank. Probably getting just about 400 miles...

Sorry also what kind of roads were you driving economically?

For example I drive a 20 mile commute 10 miles of back road and 10 mile dual carriage way and I usually average just above 40mpg with the odd hard accelerate to overtake people, but if I drive very economically I still only get mid 40’s on the commute.
My cars done just over 68000 miles so is well bedded in.
I only get about 420 miles out of a tank driving my commute (usually fill up before 400 miles though).

Don’t forget ambient temperature and weather will affect mpg.

On dual carriage way/motorway sitting at 70mph I can easily achieve around 55mpg.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
It is actually a diesel mate. Yeah you're very close is 215 now.
And what was the MPG when it was stock? Obviously more power will reduce the MPG. What journeys are you doing? As you won’t get more than 37 around town/ city

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
There’s not really much you can do other than driving style. Premium fuel helps a little, stop carrying Excess weight if you do at all, and remember that not only the right pedal affects mpg, also braking etc. Journey style is a factor as a long motorway commute will be better than a round town stop start commute. If that’s all been factored then that’s your Cars mpg and nothing will change that!

Moe

Dec 15, 2019
Yeah so my commute to work is about 6 miles, mostly 30 roads and sometimes I take the motorway and drive roughly between 70 and 80 miles an hour, regardless whether my car is warm or not it gives me the same average. I tend to put it in neutral if I need to stop way before the actual stop if its a red light or something. I normally drive in thr highest possible gear but it does actually come up with the recommended gear which I don't believe it to be a great feature as I just don't feel it's correct or giving the best recommendation of gear...

Moe

Dec 15, 2019
And what was the MPG when it was stock? Obviously more power will reduce the MPG. What journeys are you doing? As you won’t get more than 37 around town/ city
I bought the car with the remap so i wouldn't know, I asked the previous owner and he told me that he doesn't remember the mpg being worse after the remap so I'm guessing it wasn't so different to what it is now

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Yeah so my commute to work is about 6 miles, mostly 30 roads and sometimes I take the motorway and drive roughly between 70 and 80 miles an hour, regardless whether my car is warm or not it gives me the same average. I tend to put it in neutral if I need to stop way before the actual stop if its a red light or something. I normally drive in thr highest possible gear but it does actually come up with the recommended gear which I don't believe it to be a great feature as I just don't feel it's correct or giving the best recommendation of gear...

6 miles in 30mph roads says it all, a diesel isn’t designed for this, so you will be getting 30-40mpg and no more. If you were to commute 25 miles say, on NSL or open flowing roads you’d be probably over 50-60mpg. Which is what diesels are designed for.

Moe

Dec 15, 2019
6 miles in 30mph roads says it all, a diesel isn’t designed for this, so you will be getting 30-40mpg and no more. If you were to commute 25 miles say, on NSL or open flowing roads you’d be probably over 50-60mpg. Which is what diesels are designed for.
I previously owned a 1.9 tdi golf mk5 diesel and it used to give me 500 miles per full tank, but then again it was 105bhp which is a scratch on 215.. But yeah thanks for your input. Just needed to make sure nothing was wrong with my car lol

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Moe; I can remember in the early days of the mk7 Golf that quite a few Golf GTD owners (same 2.0 litre 184 bhp engine) we’re seeing sub-40 mpg from their cars during the colder / winter months, so high 30’s isn’t unusual with the VAG 2.0 Diesel engine. What sort of distance have you covered / how many tankfulls of fuel have you used to monitor your fuel consumption. Does that 37 mpg figure include summer motoring or is it all winter driving?

Winter diesel will have a negative impact on mpg, as will under-inflated tyres, and regular active DPF regens (likely if you’re doing a fair amount of town driving).

Moe

Dec 15, 2019
@Moe; I can remember in the early days of the mk7 Golf that quite a few Golf GTD owners (same 2.0 litre 184 bhp engine) we’re seeing sub-40 mpg from their cars during the colder / winter months, so high 30’s isn’t unusual with the VAG 2.0 Diesel engine. What sort of distance have you covered / how many tankfulls of fuel have you used to monitor your fuel consumption. Does that 37 mpg figure include summer motoring or is it all winter driving?

Winter diesel will have a negative impact on mpg, as will under-inflated tyres, and regular active DPF regens (likely if you’re doing a fair amount of town driving).
I've probably done about just over 1000 miles in the month and a half I've owned it for. So I haven't yet driven this car in summer. I'm guessing for my work commute it would be better for me to use the motorway? How's your car treating you in terms of mpg

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I've probably done about just over 1000 miles in the month and a half I've owned it for. So I haven't yet driven this car in summer. I'm guessing for my work commute it would be better for me to use the motorway? How's your car treating you in terms of mpg
My current car is a petrol engined VW. I have owned diesel VW’s - last one was a mk6 2.0 Golf GTD. From memory I used to get around 40mpg during the winter months, and that would improve by around 10% to mid 40’s during warmer months, when filling stations sell ‘normal’ (non-winter) diesel.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
A good diesel remap should be a 'Win-Win' situation where you get more power, and when driven normally, you'll get slightly better MPG. Something to do with making the engine run more efficiently. Do you know who done the remap? If not, I'd get it booked in for a rolling road test, to see how it's running.

@Zaco95 - Which DTUK box have you got? If it's the CRD-t+ what settings have you found best?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Your commute is 6 miles.

Basically you have bought the wrong car.

Petrol or diesel no car is getting over 40 mpg in a 6 mile work commute simple as that, be lucky if the coolant is even up to full operating temperature by the time it is switched off and zero chance of the oil being up to temperature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stringster

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Your commute is 6 miles.

Basically you have bought the wrong car.

Petrol or diesel no car is getting over 40 mpg in a 6 mile work commute simple as that, be lucky if the coolant is even up to full operating temperature but the time it is switched off and zero chance of the oil being up to temperature.
+1, you're probably better off with a hybrid or ev if mpg is a priority, for your commute a diesel isn't a great choice.
My Mrs Hyundai is a diesel but she only drives it local and it's lucky if it will do over 40mpg whereas my 45 mile commute to work in my 150 tdi will give over 55mpg.
I don't think the tanks are big on these either as my E90 320d used to give about 650 miles on a full tank whereas these are about 500 odd even though they are both 2.0.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I once went on a UK road trip with my Leon Mk3 2.0TDI 150 DSG. Eg..London to York, to Leeds, to Cambridge, to London, to Standsted Airport, then back from airport, had low fuel come on (still had 60 miles on the range). Left London with a full tank. So in 'ideal' condiions for diesel, it could do 550 ish miles on a full tank. I did around 53-54 mpg for the entire trip.

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I once went on a UK road trip with my Leon Mk3 2.0TDI 150 DSG. Eg..London to York, to Leeds, to Cambridge, to London, to Standsted Airport, then back from airport, had low fuel come on (still had 60 miles on the range). Left London with a full tank. So in 'ideal' condiions for diesel, it could do 550 ish miles on a full tank. I did around 53-54 mpg for the entire trip.
When I drive outside of rush hour traffic in my 1.8 TSI I can get over 50 mpg. Most i've got was 56 but that was on a mostly flat road driving between 40 and 55 mph for about 20 miles with lots of coasting on downhills. (I was following a truck with no potential to overtake so just sat buck and cruised)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.