What paint to use for restoring grille plastics?

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
As title, my bumper and grille plastics need restoring back to matte black, looks like weird metallic overspray but is likely just crap from old age. What's everyone else used to do the same job?

I know that this type of plastic is non porous and doesnt take to standard paint procedure, but not sure whether i could get away with a black etch primer or need something more obscure like this 'plastidip' ive heard of.

Cheers!

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
As title, my bumper and grille plastics need restoring back to matte black, looks like weird metallic overspray but is likely just crap from old age. What's everyone else used to do the same job?

I know that this type of plastic is non porous and doesnt take to standard paint procedure, but not sure whether i could get away with a black etch primer or need something more obscure like this 'plastidip' ive heard of.

Cheers!

Plastic dip is something for temporary use. I don't like it at all.... (sorry Gokiwi64 :)).

I use ordinary matt black spray colour, e.g "Auto-K" or something similar. Will last much longer. If it's a black "grill" i would skip primer (often grey) since it's hard to get the paint into all corners and pockets.

/Peter

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
No
Do not use Plastidip.
I have done that route.
Yes it’s great product but everything had to be surgically clean, EVERY part spotless and degreased first.
You just can’t clean the honeycomb that well into all the corners.
As a result it will start to peel away.
Then removal in such a Small areas takes for ever.
I tried applying twice and the Labour involved is crazy.
A process I’ll tell you about if you go down that path.
For the main badge on rear
e04f1dd53009a19287099d51a8803171.jpg
7f5857b77497d002a46343bd85539de7.jpg
b651478a2f6956910244d02cf875351b.jpg
it’s good.
Did my boot pull and it lasted well.
If you check my readers ride ( Sparkie’s Mk1 ) it shows I’ve done Plastidip in a big way and then went down the more traditional route of clean it prime it paint it and I’ve never had a problem since.
If you want Plastidip and glossifiers etc. Let me know. I have a cupboard full of the stuff.
Give you a great price.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
No
Do not use Plastidip.
I have done that route.
Yes it’s great product but everything had to be surgically clean, EVERY part spotless and degreased first.
You just can’t clean the honeycomb that well into all the corners.
As a result it will start to peel away.
Then removal in such a Small areas takes for ever.
I tried applying twice and the Labour involved is crazy.
A process I’ll tell you about if you go down that path.
For the main badge on rear
e04f1dd53009a19287099d51a8803171.jpg
7f5857b77497d002a46343bd85539de7.jpg
b651478a2f6956910244d02cf875351b.jpg
it’s good.
Did my boot pull and it lasted well.
If you check my readers ride ( Sparkie’s Mk1 ) it shows I’ve done Plastidip in a big way and then went down the more traditional route of clean it prime it paint it and I’ve never had a problem since.
If you want Plastidip and glossifiers etc. Let me know. I have a cupboard full of the stuff.
Give you a great price.

It does look good on the badges, but noted about the prep for the honeycomb. Ill pass on that route as i dont fancy taking a tooth brush to every groove only for it to peel. I think your posts are what informed me of Plastidips existence actually.

I literally cant find any good info on how to prep and paint this type of 'trim plastic' (is it ABS plastic?)

Ive seen many people try to paint this non-porous plastic with normal paint and it always eventually flakes. I even did it myself some 14 years ago on my moped (lol) So i know it cant just be sanded and painted.

Only other thing i can find is the U-POL Plast-X range, but seems like a whole suite of paints for different stages of the process

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
There is also the possible process of:

- Plastic adhesion promotor
- Primer
- Bumper plastic paint

This is looking like the best route so far, i will look into this more and if i do it i'll post a thread up

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Give me a bit and I’ll find the stuff I used. My plastics look great 3 years on and I track the car too.
Did wing mirror covers with it too.
Oh and rear bumper plastic as that’s not originally black either.

Reactions: Connor H