2020 Cupra 290

Andy305

Feb 23, 2020
Good evening everyone,

I have been looking over the forums for some time and I have joined up today finally. I will be taking delivery of my 2020 Leon cupra 290 and I am delighted to have made the choice! Currently I am driving an A200d 2017 a class and whilst it's been a good car I have made the decision to take the step up to the cupra after not much deliberation. Can anybody make me aware of what to expect from the new machine I have never driven a seat before and I am very much ready to get started. Thank you all

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
What a great response really know your cars don't you
But he’s right though :-/

Everyone raves about the Golf having better interior trim, they’re wrong it doesn’t, but the interior of the Mercedes is way above that of the Cupra.

Having said that the Cupra would hand any A class, except the AMG A35/A45S, it’s ass in the performance department.

As for more info, if you want to get the best out of the car: 2 main things:

1) Decent tyres are a must. The general consensus balance performance and tyre life is Michelin PS4S or Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports. Continental SportContact 6 are good but last about 5000 miles. The car will probably come with SportContact 5P’s, which are lovingly referred to as Craptinentals.

2) You’ll also want an improved lower engine mount to avoid the dreaded axle tramp/wheel hop. The above tyres will sort 90% of it but the last 10% can be got by a simple £50 insert, or replacement bush.

After that it’s generally air filters and stage 1 maps.

If you’re after styling, then Reigar Splitter and diffuser, and side skirts are the norm.

Andy305

Feb 23, 2020
In terms of speed would you say this car would beat a 430d x drive! A friend of mine has one and insists his superior torque figures would see him sail away in a straight line! I dispute that however

But he’s right though :-/

Everyone raves about the Golf having better interior trim, they’re wrong it doesn’t, but the interior of the Mercedes is way above that of the Cupra.

Having said that the Cupra would hand any A class, except the AMG A35/A45S, it’s ass in the performance department.

As for more info, if you want to get the best out of the car: 2 main things:

1) Decent tyres are a must. The general consensus balance performance and tyre life is Michelin PS4S or Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports. Continental SportContact 6 are good but last about 5000 miles. The car will probably come with SportContact 5P’s, which are lovingly referred to as Craptinentals.

2) You’ll also want an improved lower engine mount to avoid the dreaded axle tramp/wheel hop. The above tyres will sort 90% of it but the last 10% can be got by a simple £50 insert, or replacement bush.

After that it’s generally air filters and stage 1 maps.

If you’re after styling, then Reigar Splitter and diffuser, and side skirts are the norm.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
In terms of speed would you say this car would beat a 430d x drive! A friend of mine has one and insists his superior torque figures would see him sail away in a straight line! I dispute that however
I would imagine the 430d will beat the cupra in a traffic light gran prix up to the national speed limit, then in silly speeds i would imagine the cupra to come back at it

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Just on numbers

330d xdrive:
Weight 1755kg
255hp = 145hp/Tonne
560Nm = 319Nm/Tonne
0-60 = 5.3s

Cupra 290 Hatch
Weight 1431kg
286hp = 200hp/Tonne
380Nm = 266Nm/Tonne
0-60 = 6.0s

From a stand still he’s got you. On a roll, unless you’re in the right gear at the start he’s probably got you again depending on how fast you go up to.

It’s worth mentioning the Golf R estate can do a quarter mile quicker than the 330d xdrive estate. So on a roll in the right gear you should be quicker.

Last edited:

Andy305

Feb 23, 2020
Thanks for the numbers buddy will be interesting to see the difference in the 2 cars! I have to say aswell 2 people I know of from YouTube dyno videos one had a 280 cupra made 306 bhp standard! A 290 did the same

Just on numbers

330d xdrive:
Weight 1755kg
255hp = 145hp/Tonne
560Nm = 319Nm/Tonne
0-60 = 5.3s

Cupra 290 Hatch
Weight 1431kg
286hp = 200hp/Tonne
380Nm = 266Nm/Tonne
0-60 = 6.0s

From a stand still he’s got you. On a roll, unless you’re in the right gear at the start he’s probably god you again depending on how fast you go up to.

It’s worth mentioning the Golf R estate can do a quarter mile quicker than the 330d xdrive estate. So on a roll in the right gear you should be quicker.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thanks for the numbers buddy will be interesting to see the difference in the 2 cars! I have to say aswell 2 people I know of from YouTube dyno videos one had a 280 cupra made 306 bhp standard! A 290 did the same
True the earlier pre GPF cars did. Mine recently made 310 without the map, but I had a filter. Also makes more torque too.

However BMW also under estimated their numbers too, just look at the dyno’d 140i

Andy305

Feb 23, 2020
I'm convinced on a roll I'll get ahead of him i best had haha! And yes very true m140i made so much more power. A great car

True the earlier pre GPF cars did. Mine recently made 310 without the map, but I had a filter. Also makes more torque too.

However BMW also under estimated their numbers too, just look at the dyno’d 140i

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Just on numbers

330d xdrive:
Weight 1755kg
255hp = 145hp/Tonne
560Nm = 319Nm/Tonne
0-60 = 5.3s

Cupra 290 Hatch
Weight 1431kg
286hp = 200hp/Tonne
380Nm = 266Nm/Tonne
0-60 = 6.0s

From a stand still he’s got you. On a roll, unless you’re in the right gear at the start he’s probably god you again depending on how fast you go up to.

Those 0-60 times on both are an over estimate I believe. The Cupra 290 PPF gets around 0-60 in 5.3-5.4s stock according to most motoring magazines tests with the 5Ps fitted. Not sure how fast the BMW is in real world performance but I expect it's quicker than 5.3s.
As Dyno day proved the PPF isn't as restrictive as people thought either. Didn't some stage 1 JB4 PPF cars produce more power than some expensive custom mapped none PPF cars? Revo have managed to get 370 out of the PPF on stage one which isn't bad at all and the 7 speed box can handle more torque.

Last edited:

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Those 0-60 times on both are an over estimate I believe. The Cupra 290 PPF gets around 0-60 in 5.3-5.4s stock according to most motoring magazines tests with the 5Ps fitted. Not sure how fast the BMW is in real world performance but I expect it's quicker than 5.3s.
As Dyno day proved the PPF isn't as restrictive as people thought either. Didn't some stage 1 JB4 PPF cars produce more power than some expensive custom mapped none PPF cars? Revo have managed to get 370 out of the PPF on stage one which isn't bad at all and the 7 speed box can handle more torque.

Never said the PPF car didn't produce good standard/mapped/JB4 numbers. But not sure any standard PPF cars ran that day, only pre GPF. As for the JB4 car producing more power than expensive mapped cars you're likely referring to me. The PPF JB4 car produced 350, mine produced 334 on the normal map and 340 a different map later that day. However that has been sorted and its now 364 ;) You're welcome to read by build thread with all the details ;) Racingline where stellar in sorting it.

However what I have seen personally is standard pre GPF cars producing 300-310. Only one standard car didn't produce more than on the paper. That was another Carbon edition as it happens and Rick put this down to the car needing a Haldex service as it was 'scrabbling on the rollers'. I haven't personally seen a standard PPF car put on the rollers at the same time as other cars, so I can't comment.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
330d xdrive:
Weight 1755kg
560Nm = 319Nm/Tonne

Cupra 290 Hatch
Weight 1431kg
380Nm = 266Nm/Tonne

From a stand still he’s got you. On a roll, unless you’re in the right gear at the start he’s probably got you again depending on how fast you go up to.
The BMW has 20% more torque/tonne at the engine but this is misleading because the BMW runs a higher final drive ratio (1:2.56 vs 1:3.09). If you do the comparison at the wheels, the two cars will be almost identical.

Having said that, I suspect you're correct in stating that the BMW will be quicker off the line but that will be mostly due to its superior traction.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Never said the PPF car didn't produce good standard/mapped/JB4 numbers. But not sure any standard PPF cars ran that day, only pre GPF. As for the JB4 car producing more power than expensive mapped cars you're likely referring to me. The PPF JB4 car produced 350, mine produced 334 on the normal map and 340 a different map later that day. However that has been sorted and its now 364 ;) You're welcome to read by build thread with all the details ;) Racingline where stellar in sorting it.

However what I have seen personally is standard pre GPF cars producing 300-310. Only one standard car didn't produce more than on the paper. That was another Carbon edition as it happens and Rick put this down to the car needing a Haldex service as it was 'scrabbling on the rollers'. I haven't personally seen a standard PPF car put on the rollers at the same time as other cars, so I can't comment.
I've only seen the stock ones on what's known as a "happy" Dyno so not reliable unless a none PPF was tested at the same time to get relative performance.
I'll take a look at your thread.

Edit: Just read the build thread. Good read.
Not sure how they let your car leave with just 330 first time round. Do they not Dyno the car after mapping it?

Last edited:

Stefan147

Jan 29, 2019
Athens Greece
Good evening everyone,

I have been looking over the forums for some time and I have joined up today finally. I will be taking delivery of my 2020 Leon cupra 290 and I am delighted to have made the choice! Currently I am driving an A200d 2017 a class and whilst it's been a good car I have made the decision to take the step up to the cupra after not much deliberation. Can anybody make me aware of what to expect from the new machine I have never driven a seat before and I am very much ready to get started. Thank you all
If it's a W176 we' re talking about then don't be expecting any serious downgrade in built quality. They are more or less the same since the W176 is crap (for a Merc) and the Seat is very decent.

What you should be expecting is a chaotic upgrade in driving dynamics and of course performance.

Andy305

Feb 23, 2020
Thanks stefan that sounds more like it! The Leon is built to a good standard from what I have been told. And of course the performance is very good. And yes it is a W176 and I wasn't massively impressed with the build quality I must say

If it's a W176 we' re talking about then don't be expecting any serious downgrade in built quality. They are more or less the same since the W176 is crap (for a Merc) and the Seat is very decent.

What you should be expecting is a chaotic upgrade in driving dynamics and of course performance.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I've only seen the stock ones on what's known as a "happy" Dyno so not reliable unless a none PPF was tested at the same time to get relative performance.
I'll take a look at your thread.

Edit: Just read the build thread. Good read.
Not sure how they let your car leave with just 330 first time round. Do they not Dyno the car after mapping it?

No Racingline retailers don't dyno the car after the new calibration is added. Its a calibration based on your ECU ID. In my case my car has helped them redevelop the map as its an odd ECU. Apparently the Estates (Golf R too) all have this odd ECU. There is more to it than that as to why its not been picked up sooner, but a long story which they went through with me. Either way they said they would sort it and have and were great through it all :) Can't say other tuners would of been from experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kirky

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Way better value for money and pretty much all the extras VW and Audi charge you get standard, just with added rattles.

Reactions: R45HU
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.