2016 LEON RUST

Irishleon

Mar 9, 2020
Galway
Hi Guys
Bought new cleaning bits for the car was ages waiting so it arrived today and I decided to give the car a good cleaning as I hadn't since I bought the car in April.

After washing the car I was cleaning down all the sills and I noticed the spots of rust i don't see any mark where its been damaged by a bang or anything it looks like it's bubbling from under the paint has anybody seen this before. The car has only 60k miles on it.

Liam

Attachments

• IMG_20200616_194329.jpg
    IMG_20200616_194329.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20200616_194302.jpg
    IMG_20200616_194302.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20200616_194319.jpg
    IMG_20200616_194319.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 233

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Hi mate,
That seems like a strange place for it, would have thought it would happen further across near the where the front and rear door meets. Might not be able to see it but it would be in a perfect spot to get banged or scratched. How old is your car?

Reactions: Irishleon

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Hi mate,
That seems like a strange place for it, would have thought it would happen further across near the where the front and rear door meets. Might not be able to see it but it would be in a perfect spot to get banged or scratched. How old is your car?
Sorry mate just seen the title, 2016. Looks fairly superficial at least. Shouldn’t cost too much To fix or if you’re handy with these sorts of thing sort out yourself

Irishleon

Mar 9, 2020
Galway
Thanks for the quick reply
I have the car since April this year. I had a look to see was there any more like it but there is nothing I don't think it had a tip there are no obvious marks or dents

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
That’s good there are no more obvious spots. I’ve got the same year car in the same colour. I’ve not noticed any spots but definitely going to give mine a proper look over!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
That doesn't look good. We've just sold a 2014 car and it didn't have a spot of rust anywhere on it. I have a 2016 car now, not a spot of rust anywhere on it.

To cut to the chase and be brutally frank. If that were my car I would be getting rid of it. Now.

You can talk all day about what might be causing it, why it's happening but it's irrelevant. All that matters is that there is a problem there and once rust starts on a panel it's not going to stop. You can try and fix it, hide it but it's coming back. Been there, have the T-shirt. You keep this car I guarantee you'll wish you hadn't.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
See if you can see any evidence of a paint repair, orange peel in the paint / overspray / panel gaps / sanding marks or slight off colour of panels.

strange for rust to appear there especially coming from below the paint

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Take it to your nearest SEAT dealer and let them have a look. Quote from their website 'From the date of registration of your SEAT, you'll receive a three-year paintwork warranty, plus your SEAT will be covered for a 12-year period, against perforation from rust.'

They'll be able to tell you if you've got a claim, or not if it's been previously repaired.

Irishleon

Mar 9, 2020
Galway
Take it to your nearest SEAT dealer and let them have a look. Quote from their website 'From the date of registration of your SEAT, you'll receive a three-year paintwork warranty, plus your SEAT will be covered for a 12-year period, against perforation from rust.'

They'll be able to tell you if you've got a claim, or not if it's been previously repaired.

Thanks I was in contact with Seat today

Reactions: SteveGSXR600K1

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Thanks I was in contact with Seat today

This reminds me of something that happened years ago. The director of the company next to ours had a white Volvo estate. It had a long anti-corrosion warranty so when he saw rust forming after.. I can't remember how long it was but it was at least five years, he took it to the dealer. The dealer looked at it and told him it wasn't covered as the car had been in an accident and had been repaired.

He asked them to show them how they they knew this, which they did. He then asked them when the accident had happened, because he had bought the car from them brand new and it had not been in an accident while he had owned it!

So **** meets fan. Turned out the car had fallen off the transporter, be repaired and sold as new without telling him. I can't remember everything they gave him to shut him up but I remember he got new alloy wheels out of it.

Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Mr Pig; apparently, damage to new vehicles in transit between the factory and the dealers isn’t uncommon, but any damage is probably relatively minor in most cases, unlike what happened to that Volvo estate.

You would hope that if a new Leon sustained transit damage, it would be noted against the vehicle on Seat’s computer system that it has been damaged/repaired to factory standard. Assuming that would happen, then in the event of any subsequent paintwork / corrosion issues, Seat shouldn’t decline a warranty claim because of previous repairs, bearing in mind those repairs would’ve been carried out by or on behalf of Seat.

@Irishleon; please keep this discussion thread updated with any progress. Thanks.

Irishleon

Mar 9, 2020
Galway
@Mr Pig; apparently, damage to new vehicles in transit between the factory and the dealers isn’t uncommon, but any damage is probably relatively minor in most cases, unlike what happened to that Volvo estate.

You would hope that if a new Leon sustained transit damage, it would be noted against the vehicle on Seat’s computer system that it has been damaged/repaired to factory standard. Assuming that would happen, then in the event of any subsequent paintwork / corrosion issues, Seat shouldn’t decline a warranty claim because of previous repairs, bearing in mind those repairs would’ve been carried out by or on behalf of Seat.

@Irishleon; please keep this discussion thread updated with any progress. Thanks.
Will keep you updated @SRGTD

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
@Mr Pig; apparently, damage to new vehicles in transit between the factory and the dealers isn’t uncommon..

I knew a guy who's family had a Fiat dealership and they dumped Fiat and became a Nissan dealer specifically because they got sick of fixing brand new Fiat cars. Not because of transport damage but because they left the factory faulty.

Please do? It's a horrible situation and I hope you get something sorted out.

Irishleon

Mar 9, 2020
Galway
I knew a guy who's family had a Fiat dealership and they dumped Fiat and became a Nissan dealer specifically because they got sick of fixing brand new Fiat cars. Not because of transport damage but because they left the factory faulty.

Thanks I will indeed

Please do? It's a horrible situation and I hope you get something sorted out.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members