Fuel economy 290

Adambomb100

Sep 9, 2020
Harwich, Essex
My new 70 plate Leon is showing long term fuel economy as 29/30mpg, I’ve been driving sensibly as running it in, I’ve read could be getting at least 35mpg, anyone have advice or does it need to be looked at??

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
Don't waste you're time running it in that engine would have been trashed on a bench to see it makes required figures and then driven round like a mad man at the port, engines have moved on massively over the years and running in really isn't required, the engine will loosen off over time and mpg will increase a little

Reactions: Adambomb100

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
[QUOTE="Adambomb100, post: 4937063, member: 126807"
[/QUOTE]

My 1.4tsi gets 38/40 and that's almost entirely short trips.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
No mine is 2015 and I'm generally not driving slowly.

Like you said you can expect 35ish combined, they quote about 38.7 combined but you really want to realistically look at about 75% of that.

When you say "driving sensibly" what do you actually mean?

Long motorway trips or shorter trips?

Remember it still is a 290BHP car, its not made to be economical. It has pretty high mpg figures because they've put in stop/start and comfort laggy throttle mode to slow you down, as soon as you drive it on spool and put your foot down a bit its all lost.

Adambomb100

Sep 9, 2020
Harwich, Essex
No mine is 2015 and I'm generally not driving slowly.

Like you said you can expect 35ish combined, they quote about 38.7 combined but you really want to realistically look at about 75% of that.

When you say "driving sensibly" what do you actually mean?

Long motorway trips or shorter trips?

Remember it still is a 290BHP car, its not made to be economical. It has pretty high mpg figures because they've put in stop/start and comfort laggy throttle mode to slow you down, as soon as you drive it on spool and put your foot down a bit its all lost.
I’ve only had it coming up to 2 weeks so not sure if it’s because it’s settling down, I get that it’s not going to super economical because of what it is, I just thought it would have been slightly higher figures, only really had it round short trips as of now, and a mix of mainly sensible driving mixed with goon mode when some spotty teenager flys up behind me in a shitty Ford with a dustbin for an exhaust ????

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Mine is imporving as it gets mileage. Its just over 30 average which is the best ive got from any car! For comparison my old 90s 2 litre turbo gave me 17.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
The whole car feels better with a bit of mileage. The pops, bangs and DSG farts start to appear. Mine didnt really do it at all much until about 4k, now its at 8 its all the time.

Reactions: Rowan83

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
I do short trips, say about 3-4 miles to work.

If the lights don't stop me and theres no traffic I have seen 28-29 basically not touching the throttle. Its generally 23-24 though.

G_Morto

Mar 20, 2020
Don't waste you're time running it in that engine would have been trashed on a bench to see it makes required figures and then driven round like a mad man at the port, engines have moved on massively over the years and running in really isn't required, the engine will loosen off over time and mpg will increase a little

Always wondered this, glad to hear it’s not absolutely necessary. Plus, the people that deliver lease cars like this will surely have their fun with it anyway!