Fuel economy 290

Hickery1995

Oct 23, 2018
I’m happy I just expected more that’s all!
I’m aware of what I’ve bought lol!
Ive just hit the 20k miles in mine, long journeys setting the car to eco mode through individual settings i can see anywhere between 38 and 43, round the doors having a bit of fun, I usually see between 20 and 25, defiantly smiles per gallon though and thats what really counts!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Adambomb100

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
Who buys a high performance car and cares about miles per gallon.
Its a high performance car, just have some fun with it lol

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Miguel 7

deanholmes194

Dec 8, 2014
13,000 miles in mine - with the exception of long motorway runs I’m always hitting 28-32mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AirBM

Jul 20, 2020
Call me old skool but for peace of mind i'd still rather have 500m on the clock before it's open season. Depends on delivery method also. Anyway, 1.5k in and avg 29mpg.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
powerful or not, i have to say the mileage you guys are getting from a modern car is not very good

Combined MPG is quoted as 38.7, that will be under perfect lab circumstances. So 35ish combined is pretty normal.

Also the car is built for performance and track really, 15-20 is fine. :drive1:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
What instantnaneous mpg numbers do you see on a 40-50mph non-traffic road? I'm guessing mid 40s to low 50s? I would say low 30s around town is already good. If you do mix driving of city, 40-50mph, motorway, perhaps you can get long term average of mid to high 30s.

Adambomb100

Sep 9, 2020
Harwich, Essex
What instantnaneous mpg numbers do you see on a 40-50mph non-traffic road? I'm guessing mid 40s to low 50s? I would say low 30s around town is already good. If you do mix driving of city, 40-50mph, motorway, perhaps you can get long term average of mid to high 30s.
I haven’t looked to be honest, very local driving only really with an odd trip out of town no and again,

beasty54

Jul 23, 2020
If I sit on the motorway for an hour or so I'll see around 35mpg.

That's not good, i've got a 300 and my 21 mile commute to work consists of a bendy back road, then a 60mph straight, then onto a 40mph road before hitting the A1 for a few miles. If i drive normally and stick to all speed limits (obviously i do anyway :giggle: ) i see 41mpg. If i put my foot down and accelerate like a tit, i'm still getting around 30 by the time i get to work.

Adambomb100

Sep 9, 2020
Harwich, Essex
That's not good, i've got a 300 and my 21 mile commute to work consists of a bendy back road, then a 60mph straight, then onto a 40mph road before hitting the A1 for a few miles. If i drive normally and stick to all speed limits (obviously i do anyway :giggle: ) i see 41mpg. If i put my foot down and accelerate like a tit, i'm still getting around 30 by the time i get to work.
This answer is the reason I’d asked the question in the first place, I’m not expecting it to be amazing on fuel, it’s a performance car, but it is a modern engine and would have thought I’d be seeing more than 30mpg, I’m not!
I don’t know if it’s because it’s new and only done 600 miles, I’d expect it to get better when it all settles down??

Reactions: beasty54

G_Morto

Mar 20, 2020
I drove 44 miles today, mainly motorway at speed limit in comfort mode and got 42 mpg. Pretty happy with that!

was 24 yesterday when I was doing cutting about abusing the paddles.

beasty54

Jul 23, 2020
This answer is the reason I’d asked the question in the first place, I’m not expecting it to be amazing on fuel, it’s a performance car, but it is a modern engine and would have thought I’d be seeing more than 30mpg, I’m not!
I don’t know if it’s because it’s new and only done 600 miles, I’d expect it to get better when it all settles down??

By the looks of other comments i'd say you definitely will, 40+ is VERY achievable on the motorway, i'd say you need to keep it below 75mph, ideally stick to 70 but it's definitely doable. I've not actually done a proper motorway run yet but i would expect to easily achieve the high 40s with sensible driving.

I actually picked up a Mercedes A180d back in January, it had 99 miles on the clock and i noticed the car was barely reporting 55mpg. This was odd to me because my previous A180 was getting 63+ with very sensible driving. By the time i swapped it for the Cupra, (Over 4000 miles) i was hitting 67mpg on a good run so in my experience, it does get better (or at least the car reports better) once you've done a few miles.

Adambomb100

Sep 9, 2020
Harwich, Essex
By the looks of other comments i'd say you definitely will, 40+ is VERY achievable on the motorway, i'd say you need to keep it below 75mph, ideally stick to 70 but it's definitely doable. I've not actually done a proper motorway run yet but i would expect to easily achieve the high 40s with sensible driving.

I actually picked up a Mercedes A180d back in January, it had 99 miles on the clock and i noticed the car was barely reporting 55mpg. This was odd to me because my previous A180 was getting 63+ with very sensible driving. By the time i swapped it for the Cupra, (Over 4000 miles) i was hitting 67mpg on a good run so in my experience, it does get better (or at least the car reports better) once you've done a few miles.
Thank you matey, ????

Sep 17, 2020
I've had my 290 for 4 days now, just over 500 miles and managed 37mpg this morning. To be honest I'm not following the running in process as such, just making sure the oil is up to temperature, and using the full rev range at least once on every journey 2/3/4 gear mainly. And taking it easy for the last 5 minutes of the journey.

I would say the engine is starting to free up already, and starting to get a bit of noise from the exhaust.

I worked as a motorcycle mechanic for 5 years, and the bikes that went the best were the ones that weren't run in lol!

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston

I think its just that your sensible driving is more sensible than others. :happy:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.