Giving cyclists room, and them leaving room.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Now we as motorists must pass cyclists with at least 1.5m between the car and the bike, which incidentally I do, so what about when they squeeze inbetween cars stopped at lights/junctions? holding my breath as one came between me and a van stopped at lights, can my wife stick her hand out the window to block his path? that's not what she wanted to do though.

Last edited:

AndrewRL

Jun 17, 2021
No Martin. You should know by now that rules of the road, highway code etc only apply to motorists/vehicles. Cyclists can always do whatever they want as it is their god given right so to do.

Reactions: Mark300zx

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Leave them to it. Darwin theory and natural selection will sort them out. But of course, it won’t be their fault……

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Some years ago (in heavy rain) I turned right at a T junction across 2 lanes of standing traffic and between the lines came a cyclist charging along, head down and straight into the side of my car. It cost me the excess, I was breathalysed (zero), my insurance paid for my repairs, cyclist clothing ambulance cut off to check him out and his bike repairs. If he was insured I'd let the companies fight it out :brucelee:.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Leave them to it. Darwin theory and natural selection will sort them out. But of course, it won’t be their fault……

All well and good until one of them scrapes down the side of someone’s pride and joy!

WaveyDaveyGravy

But I'm so tasty
Jan 3, 2006
Shipley
No Martin. You should know by now that rules of the road, highway code etc only apply to motorists/vehicles. Cyclists can always do whatever they want as it is their god given right so to do.
They aren't doing anything wrong. It is in the Highway Code, its called filtering. And the reason why there is a requirement for a 1.5m gap is because of a small number of idiots in cars who think it's clever to buzz cyclists at speed. So let's not get into a petty drivers versus cyclists please.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
They aren't doing anything wrong. It is in the Highway Code, its called filtering. And the reason why there is a requirement for a 1.5m gap is because of a small number of idiots in cars who think it's clever to buzz cyclists at speed. So let's not get into a petty drivers versus cyclists please.

Faults on both sides but the blind stupidity of some cyclists is unbelievable - I’ve experienced it first hand when driving trucks in London - cyclists hanging on to my trailer, coming down the inside and stopping in my blind spots then there’s idiots like these.

Reactions: Mark300zx

WaveyDaveyGravy

But I'm so tasty
Jan 3, 2006
Shipley
And I've seen a friend run off the road like that in front of me by a Transit van in a village who just wanted to get in front of us. Does this mean that all Transit van drivers are bad people who should be publicly vilified? Everyone has seen bad riding/driving, but some love to focus on one particular group, who are one of the most vulnerable road users.

Reactions: Jay5959

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
And I've seen a friend run off the road like that in front of me by a Transit van in a village who just wanted to get in front of us. Does this mean that all Transit van drivers are bad people who should be publicly vilified? Everyone has seen bad riding/driving, but some love to focus on one particular group, who are one of the most vulnerable road users.

I don’t. I call out bad roadcraft whether it be cyclists or otherwise. Plenty more within that vulnerable group complain and get a greater proportion of air time considering they’re amongst the smallest, if not the smallest, group. Ironically, considering they’re the most vulnerable, many of them don’t help themselves in the slightest. But I guess the emptiest vessel makes the loudest noise.

WaveyDaveyGravy

But I'm so tasty
Jan 3, 2006
Shipley
I don’t. I call out bad roadcraft whether it be cyclists or otherwise. Plenty more within that vulnerable group complain and get a greater proportion of air time considering they’re amongst the smallest, if not the smallest, group. Ironically, considering they’re the most vulnerable, many of them don’t help themselves in the slightest. But I guess the emptiest vessel makes the loudest noise.

So where's your balanced video of bad driving then? You state faults on both sides, then give loads of examples from one side. And come up with generalisations about 'many' of 'them'. Roads are shared, it's not them and us, it's we. There are rules in place designed to protect certain groups based on vulnerability, but from what it seems like as a driver and a cyclist there is still a large section of drivers who genuinely don't understand this and instead have a massively confrontational view and think cyclists as the enemy as they have to change their behaviour as a result. It's OK for people in cars to to physically strike them, throw stones at them or overtake forcing them off the road, all of which have happened to me, because it's only a cyclist right? All I want is to do is go out and enjoy myself and come back in one piece.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
So where's your balanced video of bad driving then? You state faults on both sides, then give loads of examples from one side. And come up with generalisations about 'many' of 'them'. Roads are shared, it's not them and us, it's we. There are rules in place designed to protect certain groups based on vulnerability, but from what it seems like as a driver and a cyclist there is still a large section of drivers who genuinely don't understand this and instead have a massively confrontational view and think cyclists as the enemy as they have to change their behaviour as a result. It's OK for people in cars to to physically strike them, throw stones at them or overtake forcing them off the road, all of which have happened to me, because it's only a cyclist right? All I want is to do is go out and enjoy myself and come back in one piece.

I said there are faults on both sides plus the thread is about giving cyclists room. There are plenty of videos focusing on bad driving as I’m sure you know. And yes, there are a large section of drivers who don’t understand the “we” bit. Hardly surprising as they are the biggest group of road users but there’s an inordinate amount of publicity focusing on this and a disproportionate amount of media bias focusing on this - that’s probably what ignites the confrontation tbh. On the news, you hear about cyclists getting killed by hgvs when a lot of the time, it’s the cyclists that puts themselves in a dangerous position. Then you hear about the driver being arrested. Fact is, that’s standard police procedure but then you hear very little else which then paints a false picture of the driver being in the wrong. What’s laughable is the pious moron filming the footage I posted saying “I got it all on camera” when every single one of those cyclists were in the wrong lane and nothing happens to them vis a vis the law. If the situation was reversed however, the lorry driver would’ve been jumped on from a great height and also likely had his licence suspended.

Reactions: Seastormer
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.