Leon cupra concerns

FR1

Apr 14, 2018
Hello
Just looking for opinions and experiences really,

I’m looking to get a new car potentially a cupra Leon.

The one thing putting me off is how many have been nicked over the last few years, I don’t want to be constantly worried about this if I decide to get it,

Am I over thinking the whole thing.

CUPRoAr

Oct 7, 2017
I wouldn't say you are overthinking it, it is a risk but there are a few factors you need to think about:

Where do you live?
Current house security?
Do you have a family?

If you are happy to park it away from your house then that will negate most of the risk of it being nicked, as they won't know which door to kick in.

Reactions: xyz

FR1

Apr 14, 2018
Thanks for the reply

So I don’t have a drive way and park on the road I was thinking this, it could be one of 10 houses in our row.

will be thinking about house security more if I do go for it.

Yeah I have 2 young kids and I live in the south (north Hampshire)

CUPRoAr

Oct 7, 2017
I would say you should be ok then. Plus by parking on the road away from your house will save a fair bit of money on security, as lets face it if you park on a drive even with autowatch ghost, cctv, a house alarm and security doors it won't stop them dragging it onto a low loader.

If you do get a keyless car i would get a steering lock as the absolute minimum to reduce the chance they can scan the signal from your house and have an easy getaway.

Last edited:
Reactions: xyz
Oct 20, 2019
Hull
Mine is parked on the drive and keys are hung by the door I knew the risk when I leased my20 plate Cupra. If it’s gonna get nicked I’d rather then kick door in keys are there for all to see through the side window, see them grab them and leave with the car.
Personally I think putting steering locks on etc or hiding keys is one way of getting hurt... if they really want the car they will go to any length

Reactions: Sochaux

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Start by looking at Anti-Snap locks and Handles. They should be fitted to all external doors as a minimum to slow down anyone trying to get into your house if they identify the car to your house.

Most break in’s that require an excess amount of time to gain entry will deter most criminals.

Make it hard for them to access the property and to obtain the keys and they won’t bother with you.

On the whole go for the car and beef up your home security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G_Morto

Mar 20, 2020
Mines is also parked on the road and no issues so far. I do feel it’s safer people not necessarily knowing which house it belongs to.

Only security I have is a Patlock on the french doors.

Otherwise I would just say get GAP insurance and don’t think about it

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Thanks for the reply

So I don’t have a drive way and park on the road I was thinking this, it could be one of 10 houses in our row.

will be thinking about house security more if I do go for it.

Yeah I have 2 young kids and I live in the south (north Hampshire)

Shouldn’t be an issue where you are. Most thefts seem to be in areas in Birmingham and the north. I have a Golf R and have never had worries about it being nicked. Get yourself a Disklok though - no alarm etc beats a big, physical chunk of metal on the steering wheel! I’ve seen footage of thieves eyeing up an RS6 - right up until they saw the Disklok on it! I’d be more concerned about the engine’s foibles such as the weak thermostat housing and the weak clutch if you’re looking at an older manual car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: RUM4MO

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
I think this is one of those things that depends where you live. I bought my first car 40 years ago and have never had one stolen. It's not something I worry about at all.

Did have a motorbike stolen once but that was 18 years ago.

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
I live in Portsmouth and have a Cupra.

It gets parked outside my house and I live on the island.

I'm not worried at all about it getting stolen etc.

The most attention it's got is when some kids stole my Lego dustcaps.

However I'm in a quiet area (people leave bikes outside not chained up etc) and we've left cars open overnight accidentally and never had any issues.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mikertroid

May 31, 2019
On later models the KESSY can be disabled by touching the driver’s door handle just after locking the car with the fob.

Reactions: FR1

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
I was a bit worried about mine when I first bought it, used at 1 year old. Then the guy 4 doors down bought a brand new S3, wasn't quite so concerned then!

ThomSeagal

Nov 19, 2020
I fitted mine with a tracker, it was just €150. I can always see where the car is and see the speed. Can also see the travel history, set a geo fence and receive alerts when the car is being moved at night.

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
Hampshire doesnt have the same problems as the North and Midlands. Neither does London and counties (with exception to Slough)
If in doubt got for the additional sercurity measures as per the post!

Good Luck

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.