Cruise Control DIY

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
I got there :clap: .. Cruise control fitted DIY with VAGCOM to activate on Cupra Tdi

Used Erwin to make sure of wiring .. but it is all doable .. the biggest problem I had was getting the crimps/terminals to insert in the plugs. Wurth sold me some as this is who the dealers/aftermarket buy their crimps from.

Anyone want to know.. or is this old news?

.. and how do you get the instrument panel out of these cars .. if you could do that then maybe you could do a totally splice free job .. need to get to the big multi connectors at the bulkhead from the inside .. you cannot get to this internally from on the outside at the windscreen wipers unlike some Golfs. I spliced to the white ECU here and then put the wire through the spare empty socket. Got power from the right fuse off the back of the fuse board by a splice .. the rest is plug and play .. and if you could get to the back of the bulkhead connector you would get the ECU wire plug in (need to ID the crimp first..).. and maybe that is where the fuse board feed is.. looks like it might be.

Issues... remove the light switch from the panel before you pull the panel off by removing fuse board on dash end .. I managed to break the light switch:cry: .. and the panel over the wipers below the windscreen is a tricky bit to get off .. well more tiresome as you have to put bonnet up and down 3-4 times to make sure it is right.

Connector dealers/vans = www.wurth.co.uk/contact.php
Stalk connector = 0558-190-22
Central control connector = 0558-190-13
Need new double stalk
Need brown XS3 plug

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
good for you mate

I managed to get cruise retrofitted to my fr20vt by the dealers as part of a "no cruise no deal" with my part ex

apparently the petrols are a little more involved with the wiring too

a very good option IMHO and I use it all the time on both of my cars

I wouldn't say it was old news but I have heard about people with the fabia doing a DIY job over on BRISKODA

keep up the good work.............[B)]

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Fabia uses 2 part Golf stalk and it does have a brake switch module that it wires through that Ibiza does not. Not sure why petrols should be much different ... the central controller does most of the work and the wire to the ECU is just a constant rpm line I am guessing.

gazjones

thats some job to do yourself, i do most things to my car but i wouldnt know where to start with somthing like this, good work though :thumbup:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Fabia uses 2 part Golf stalk and it does have a brake switch module that it wires through that Ibiza does not. Not sure why petrols should be much different ... the central controller does most of the work and the wire to the ECU is just a constant rpm line I am guessing.

my petrol went in for the retrofit cruise and 10 days later I got it back

it was to do with the fact that they ordered the kit for a diesel and as such they had parts/wiring looms missing

that is what the master tech told me anyway

also looking up under the steering column, behind the light switch area and at the rear of the fuse box there is a new yellow wiring loom that deffo was not there before

they spent 10 days on it and it didn't cost me anything as it was part of my px deal

:p

davea

Aug 21, 2006
Stickney
Jees i'd be thinking twice and than twice again before even thinking about touching anything to do with things like cruise control especially DIY stylee.

Fair play if you've done it though :)

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
DIY cruise costs;

Stalk is about £65-70
Brown XS3 Connector 6Q0 937 702A £2-3
Connectors inserts .. well about £15-20 for enough for 3-4 cars.. need 2 types from Wurth;
Stalk connector inserts = 0558-190-22
Central control connector = 0558-190-13
.. might need 2 other types if you can find out how to get to them and what they are.. see splicing below..
5m of thin 0.35mm wire from Maplin £5 or so
few bits of insulating tape to splice in 2 places..:whistle: (unless you take instrument panel out and maybe dash:think:
.. access to VAG-Com .. beer or postage;)

So about £100

... if you do not break:( ;
Light switch £65 odd
Trim between bonnet and windscreen £12
.. but then there is the satisfaction of beating the system:funk: priceless

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/viewtopic.php?t=10966
http://www.fabia-vrs.com/cruise.htm .. but for 2 part stalk not our 1 part stalk and this means different connectors behind stalk.

http://home.arcor.de/chris_kern/GRA.zip = this doc for Polo which is same stalk but has an extra connector in the wiring

http://www.christiantena.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/motor/vag/tdi/ccs.html = Mk3 Golf for more ideas but their steering wheel is slightly different to take off.

There is a Cupra site somewhere .. cannot find it/remember

Need a wiring diagram really but it is only 5 wires connecting 4 sites. PM?

White wire at ECU = T121/38 or T80/24 or T121/14 or T121/28 or T121/38
(this depends on your ECU &/ engine type but T121/14 is Diesel and is white)
Power from Fuse 18 on dash end
Brown XS3 at control module under dash = T6w
Stalk = T41/26 to T41/31
All the connectors have numbers on them if you look carefully

Wiring =
T6w/2 = T41/27
T6w/3 = T41/26 + T41/29 + white ECU
T6w/5 = T41/31
T6w/6 = T41/30
T41/28 = fuse 18

And give airbag 30 secs to power down after taking battery off..

VAG-Com => engine (01), => Login, enter 11463.. note you need to reboot to see the cruise function otherwise it logs an error code if you enable and recheck for errors.

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
What a service you could be providing - take the orders and deposits, arrange a group fitting over a couple of days and filled your wallet ;)

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Yeah halfway between Aberdeen and Dundee .. centre of the universe!

.. must be about 2 folk in 100 miles who want this.

And fitting time .. I guess if I knocked up a wiring loom first it could be done.. (as one of those Mk4 Golf sites had done) but lots of tricky bits of plastic to take off, break and generally make a mess of .. these cars are designed for one way.. assembly and disposal... repair did not come into the designer's mind... might do it in an hour if you had the loom and motored on .. but it really is a 3-4 hour messy job for the inexperiance in the art but second time would be relatively easy.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Im up in Dundee all week visiting the Gf's parents,

Mon-Fri and would love to have this done ;)

So dont say your short of offers ;)

If you fancy doing it again feel free to attack my car ;)

I'd love to have Cruise fitted for the 10hour journey home!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Need a wiring diagram really but it is only 5 wires connecting 4 sites. PM?

I have this diagram in pdf format.

I cant attach documents yet but if someone wants to post it I can send it to them by e-mail

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Hi, do you have the pinout of the stalk conectors?

These are the instructions I have to go with the wiring diagram for the stalk and the control box.

Install a new stalk with the cruise control buttons and connect the pins of the
T41 connector (in the stalk) to connector XS3 of the (engine) controller :

T41/ pin 31 to the XS3/ pin 5

T41/ pin 30 to the XS3/ pin 6

T41/ pin 26 to the XS3/ pin 2

T41/ pin 28 is wired to the fuse number 18.

T41/ pin 29 and T41/ pin 27 are joined together and linked to XS3/ pin3 and also to pin 14 of the ECU plug (it is next to a green/yellow wire)

Hope it helps

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
cruise is a really useful option and i loved it on my old beeza.

Although BMW cruise is a lot better due to the resume button, or as i call it the knightrider button.

The Mini's party trick is as follows:
Cruise at 80 mph in top gear, go through roadworkd and slow using brakes to 40 all the way through, as soon as brakes touched cruise goes to stand by mode, wait till national speed limit sign, leave in 3rd gear, press RES ( resume ) button and hold on, car acclerates flat out and a lot harder than throttle pedal to get you back up to 80mph. very fun, but does not work in second DOH!

can also cause accidents if accidently triggered.