OEM xenon bulbs

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
Does anyone have an Ibiza with OEM xenon headlights? Just wondering as i have a set of xenon headlamp clusters and no bulbs/HID kit to put in them (yet!)

Will a normal HID kit fit? where the bulb goes, it looks like the bulb should have a square shaped end to it. Ive had a look around some websites looking for info and have so far found out that the bulb is either D2R, or D2S.

Whats the difference between the two, and can anyone with OEM xenons please let me know which they have in their car?

Also.. if i buy myself an HID kit, and buy a pair of D2_ bulbs aswell, will the bulbs just fit straight on? Or will I have to go buy a HID ballast, bulb etc from the stealers?

Im quite confused lol :confused:

Edit: So it seems that the bulbs im after are D1S :confused: apparently these "incorporate the HID ignition circuitry into the base of the lamp" and "eliminate the expensive high voltage connectors" The images ive seen suggest that the bulbs will fit, so i mite be on the right track!

Does this mean that i dont need a ballast? Vagcat shows that i need a control unit for the bulb, can this be right if the ignition circuitry is at base of bulb? Or is it there to regulate the light output, whilst the ignition part is just to start the bulb up?

Any help greatly appreciated!

2nd Edit: Ive now found out that ill need a ballast.. i take it this is the control unit vagcat mentions. Is this available as an aftermarket part, or will i have to go to dealer and pay silly money?

this is hurting my head already lol

Last edited:

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
how much did you pay for the light clusters as i want Xenons for my beeza???

R1ch85

Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
picked em up off ebay for £2.40 plus postage... dont think you'll find many going at that price! First ones i've seen on there so i bid on em and won lol. I think making them work will be fairly expensive tho. Apparently they retail at around £280 each side!

Last edited:

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
is that £2.40 or £240 lol

am guessin its 240

yeah that a good price.... keep an eye out for me. the bulb kits are approx £150 per side as i have priced them up... a guess it comes with ballasts etc tho

I WANT THEM:cry:

R1ch85

Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
just looked thru car parts, then in the seat section. Theres only usually 10-12 pages of parts for seats so i just browsed them all and those came up!

Surprised there was no more interest in them tbh, i was watchin them for nearly a week.. would have thought alot of people would want projector lenses on their ibiza, particularly if they've got an HID conversion already! The bulbs would be different i think but would still be a bargain :confused:

R1ch85

Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
is that £2.40 or £240 lol

am guessin its 240

yeah that a good price.... keep an eye out for me. the bulb kits are approx £150 per side as i have priced them up... a guess it comes with ballasts etc tho

I WANT THEM:cry:

Is that £150 for each bulb? I've just phoned dealer (or in this case stealer) and the ballast for each side is £245+vat! :-o:ban:

Im gonna have to save for ages to get these! Sooo expenisve! Especially when you can get a full conversion kit for £250 or less... Any ideas if the ballast from a conversion kit would work with D1S bulbs, or with the cable plug i have in the lights??

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
yes just for the bulbs.... think you might get a Bosch(not the company Bosch) set off ebay for about £100 there might fit

Richie D

May 24, 2005
Shropshire
My brother just got a HID conversion kit from aceparts.com, apparently if you send them a mail and say you saw the offer on pistonheads they'll do them for £125 instead of £175.
Don't know if its still valid though.

Rich

R1ch85

Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
Right, im nearly done gettin the bits and pieces i need to make these xenons work!

Got bulbs off ebay for £70 for pair, new. Just waiting on ballasts to arrive from america also off ebay. Got the pair for $100 (used) which is just over £50 at current exchange rate. So all in all, i've spent £154.02 on xenon headlights with prjector lenses, bargain methinks :) easy to fit meself too, just gotta take off front bumper! :lol:

pics to come once theyre all up and running

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
just need the self leveling and the headlight washers to be legal now and not dazzle oncoming traffic.

PS just a word of caution, i got pulled last thursday at a road checkpoint coming out of canterbury, and you know why i got pulled as i have xenons. The old bill were checking i had OEM xenons and not fake ones. Apparently they are clamping down on em due to loads of complaints.

R1ch85

Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
just need the self leveling and the headlight washers to be legal now and not dazzle oncoming traffic.

PS just a word of caution, i got pulled last thursday at a road checkpoint coming out of canterbury, and you know why i got pulled as i have xenons. The old bill were checking i had OEM xenons and not fake ones. Apparently they are clamping down on em due to loads of complaints.

yeh, i've thought about the levelling and washers but im not quite sure how to do that.. i mite have to change my bumper or at least cut into it as i've not got the cut outs for washers. Gettin water to them shouldnt be too hard tho right? Just add the necessary piping to the windscreen washer circuit and hopefully the lights will wash with the screen.

As for levelling, i really havent a clue about that.. all i have at the moment is manual adjust :shrug: ill keep thinkin anyways, if i ever work out what to do with it, itll give me sumthing to do on a weekend lol

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.