A fix for 'can't sync baud rate' problem

benjamin.oates

I recently bought a cheap OBDII cable off fleabay and started using VAG-COM. After setting it all up with drivers and COM ports I was able to use certain control modules, such as 46-Central Conv., with no problems. However when trying to use control module 01-Engine, the one i was most interested in (as i'm sure most people are), I kept getting the error message:

Can't sync baud rate

To resolve this problem I had to select options from the main screen, and then in the Protocol Options section manually set the Start Baud to 9600:

6t22teq.jpg

The engine control module was then accessible and i was able to play around with fault checking and measuring blocks to my hearts content :D. Obviously I can't guarantee this fix will work for others, and i take no responsibility for any problems caused by following this, but it might be of use so thought I'd stick it up here. It it also possibly worth checking the baud rate of the COM port using device manager to ensure that it is also set to 9600.

Ben

EDIT: 10 posts! :funk::clap::funk:

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Problem is, with such a low baud rate you'll get so few data points when you're logging that making sense of the logs will be difficult.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I need to play with the rates, to see if i can increase the sample rate.

My sample time is 1.3 when logging to blocks. WHat does everyone else get?

It also helps to set the Blk Int to 25 and Char Int to 0.