MK3 Engine Start Troubles

Jul 10, 2001
Bedfordshire
Visit site
For the last week I’m having trouble starting my cupra in the mornings. It’s taking me four or five attempts to get the engine started and am wondering what the cause could be.

I’ve searched through the MK3 section and found that a few other people have had problems starting their cars and that the coolant temperature sensor could be at fault. I’ve order a replacement just in case. What does this actually do anyway?

My coolant level was below the minimum line when I checked this morning and have topped it up, surprisingly the temp gauge in my car didn’t beep at me to let me know, is this be linked to the coolant temp sensor?

I’ve also tried to listen for the fuel pump kicking in, but can’t distinguish between the engine sounds when I turn the key to the first ignition point

I did a quick scan with VAG-COM last night and it didn’t pick up any errors.

A few months back I had my fuel filter changed and have also replaced the battery, so I figure it can’t be anything to do with them.

Any suggestions, I’m only an amateur on engines so please speak nice and slow and no big words. :D

blackcupra51

i had a similar problem.

next time, before you start it, unplug you MAF sensor, the one next to your air filter. if it starts first time, like mine did, then you need a new sensor.