De-wiper help?

Lee Edgecombe

Photoshop ;)
Mar 16, 2009
South Wales
Hey guys, was looking to de-wiper the rear on my fr mk2. Could do with some help on how to do it. Havnt really tried to do it myself yet as i will prob brake something lol. If someone could just help me on how to do it and what do u use to block up the hole? Gromit? and what size?

Thanks
Lee

DeanJ

black topped
Oct 26, 2006
Birmingham
interested in doing this too. I know some features if not all of them can be turned off via vag-com. IIRC when I had the auto wipe on reverse turned off I'm sure i saw a setting for "rear wiper installed"

Then just need to actually remove it so would be nice to hear from someone who has done it and what they used to fill the whole below the window and the pipe.

Last edited:

FR_Flavoured

I did this on my (previous) Mk4 Ibiza. However the process would be much the same here...

The process was simply to remove the tailgate trim on the inside, usually a few screws too, plus the plastic clips (a good tug does no harm!). With the trim off, you will now find the rear wiper motor assembly is now visible. You need to unbolt this - after removing the wiper from the top first!

This will leave you with the hole in the glass, plus the water pipe.
The hole in the glass you can 'plug' with the rubber grommits that they sell in packs in Halfords.
The water pipe you can simply plug with some of the plumbers putty, to seal the end (stop it leaking).
(as you only cap the end with the putty, you can easily poke out the putty again in the future, should you want the Wiper back on).

To stop the rear wiper from trying to work, as said, disable it in Vag.com (when reversing with wipers on). Perhaps actually remove the rear wiper fuse too??

Does tidy up the rear end, and looks pretty sleek. Also the Leons suffer less from a dusty/dirty tailgate due to a different design to the Ibiza (which suffered from this alot more).

Defo post up pics if/when you do this, would be great to see. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
To be honest, you can see as much if not more by using the wing mirrors as you can from looking out the back window... reversing visabilty is very poor i find so this wouldn't really bother me. If i could find someone with VAG.COM and knew how to work it, i would probably do this mod too.

I was wondering however, if you didnt disable the feature in VAG.COM and acidentally turned the back wiper on and had it removed, what would happen?? Surely it wouldnt really matter...?

Lee Edgecombe

Photoshop ;)
Mar 16, 2009
South Wales
thanks for the replys guys. I think i'll give it a go today and see hwo it goes. Not really bothered if i cant see clearly out the back, wouldnt really affect me. Does anyone know how to do the VAG.COM? But like someone said, if i remove the motor and fuse maybe? nothing would happen if i did accidently use the rear wiper?

FR_Flavoured

Don't know if Vag.com would flag an error if its receiving no (electrical) feedback from the Wiper Motor (with it removed)!?

On that note, there will be a wire loom going to the Motor, with a block connector on the end. You simply (and carefully) pull this off, and it will disconnect from the motor assembly. Then tuck the end of the lead / connector back into the tailgate.

Really is a quick job (on the Ibiza :D) so cant see how the Leon would be much different - costing no more than a pound or two, for the grommit for the window and plumber putty (can get this in Halfords too!). ;)

Lee Edgecombe

Photoshop ;)
Mar 16, 2009
South Wales
rite since i've got a day off work ive been out and tried to do it :) i got as far as removing the interior tailgate trim, un screwed the nuts holding the wiper motor and the nut on the outside holding the wiper on but then i got stuck :confused: i couldnt get the wiper to come free from the motor inside the tailgate. I had a good look and couldnt see how to get it off.....

FR_Flavoured

If you've undone the bolt on the outside, the Wiper should just come loose. Perhaps try rotating the Wiper on the motor arm, to see if it will come free? They often are a tight fit, but with a bit of effort should come loose. You could also try spraying some WD40 where the Arm is still attached to the motor spindle, to see if it helps loosen it.

Be careful though, you dont want to scratch your rear window!

Lee Edgecombe

Photoshop ;)
Mar 16, 2009
South Wales
ah rite, i'll give that a go next time. Also do u have any idea what size gromet i would need? i looked in halfords but the only had a 25mm one there and wernt sure if that would be the right size

FR_Flavoured

Halfords also do a small bag with a selection of rubber grommits of different sizes too (from 15mm upto around 30mm if i remember).
So once you have the hole in the glass (with everything removed), just try a couple of different ones for size.

How long has it taken so far, removing the Trim and motor assembly? Did you get the wiper off in the end?

Lee Edgecombe

Photoshop ;)
Mar 16, 2009
South Wales
When I went to Halfords they only had one which was 25mm, couldn't see a bag of mixed ones. Umm it only took me about 5 mins to take the trim off and undo the nuts. Doesn't take long I just got stuck when I undone everything and it still wouldn't come off. But I havnt tried it since you said about using Wd40. Have to give it another go soon.

Alex 17

No Smoke No Poke
Aug 17, 2008
Bedale - North yorkshire
Pm'ed back bud , It really is a simple job and cleans the whole rear end up.. Theres no problem with visibility when you have 3 mirrors.. But if ur that worried give it a quick wipe everyonce in a while? Really is easy only problem is removeing the part of the wiper that goes through the glass.. I used a pair of plyers and kept on it myself..

Lee Edgecombe

Photoshop ;)
Mar 16, 2009
South Wales
so where there is a bolt going throught the glass and the wiper in attached on the end by a nut. Does the wiper just come off then once you have undone the nut. Cause i couldnt get is lose from it

FR_Flavoured

For what its worth, Lee, you might want to take a look at the following Thread:
It relates to someone trying to do the same with their Mk1 SEAT Leon.

Take a look at Post 6 - This tool is suggested to help remove the Wiper....

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2599534

All its doing it putting pressure on the centre spindle, while pulling underneath the Wiper arm, as you twist the handle, and this gradual upward force, pops the Wiper arm off the spindle.

So it confirms there is nothing else preventing the Wiper from coming off the spindle, just needs a bit of coaxing. Again, a liberal spray of WD40 or similar should help loosen it up, then give it a firm pull.

FR_Flavoured

Lee - did you get that rear Wiper off in the end? :) Or just put everything back on, admitting defeat!? :D

FR_Flavoured

OK, I've done this now - Step through....

- Remove the 1 bolt on the wiper spindle, then remove rear wiper (WD40 helps loosen it on the spindle).
- Open the bootlid. Remove 2 screws, then pull the Trim to remove. Its also held in with 6 clips, so a firm tug helps alot!

With the Trim now removed, the rear wiper assembly is now accessible...

- Remove the electrical block connector + water pipe, from rear wiper motor assembly.
- Use plumber putty to cap the end of the pipe to seal, to prevent it leaking.
- Unscrew the 3 bolts that secure the rear washer motor/assembly.

Re-fitting - Refit boot trim, helps to align it around bootlid latch first, then clips, then 2 screws.

- With bootlid closed, pop out the Rubber ring thats left in the glass.
- Use a 24mm Aerial grommit (available in Halfords), to neatly close the hole.

Job complete. :cheers:

Lee Edgecombe

Photoshop ;)
Mar 16, 2009
South Wales
Lee - did you get that rear Wiper off in the end? :) Or just put everything back on, admitting defeat!? :D

haha no i havnt admit defeat :lol: i havnt tried again, havnt had much time, i bought the gromet from halfords but havnt had a chance to do it lol will do it soon!! u should post some pics up now you have done yours

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.