Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

simaservis1108

Jan 4, 2018
explorer is right.

MIB1 FEC code is differently structured than MIB2 FEC code.
Also MIB2 FEC code is signed by 128 bit AES Signature.

martijnb

Nov 5, 2017
What could the dealer do about it?
Can the dealer also activate the basic license ?, so that I can buy an SD card from there.
Or is OBDeleven or VCDS an option?

We have just been to the dealer, and they can not find them.
They get an error message: fm module (no tuner error they said)
We also used the correct SD card.
Is it smart to order a new V2 card (with codes of course),
because the original has always worked.

Tell

Staff member
Explorer is right, it is all locked down by VAG security there is nowt you can do yourself, dealer has unlocked your unit taking out navigation - that's a standard effect of the process. This is what happens when a dealer removes the security lock on the system it takes out the navigation. You could try reading the mib 1 to 2 upgrade threads you find on the net where people do DIY upgrades. They have to go to a dealer to get the navigation enabled. VCDS or Obdeleven won't help you with this.

The retrofit units are unlocked thou and don't need navigation enabled. This is where I looked at getting my Mib2 High (Plus / Navi+) converted to a retrofit model so I could get full map upgrades which retrofit units allow but this was going to cost an arm and a leg and UK addressed people were not interested. Then I got the unit working again and realised I could do map updates for everything other than roads from the developers menu☺.

Last edited:

b0ne_uk

Jan 30, 2018
Hi all. I wanted to see if the Exciter's method would work on My 65-plate Alhambra's MIB2 satnav - Seat Leon and a few other models are mentioned on this thread but Alhambra isn't so I gave the following a try (making slight amendments to another user's post that I followed so thanks to him too):

I managed to update from 0430 to 0915 with exciter's approach, i.e.:
1. Backed up the entire "maps" folder on my original maps SD card (v0430 2014-15 EC1) to my NAS drive
2. Deleted all the data on my original SD card that had 0430 on it
3. Copied the freshly downloaded 0915 version (12/12/2017 EC1 2018) to the SD card
4. Replaced /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with that from my original backup of 0430

I downloaded the latest map dated 12/12/2017 from VW's website by picking and choosing my vehicle as a VW Sharan Discover Media sat nav map update. the link h*t*t*p://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.c*o*m/DiscoverMedia2_EU1_4517_0915_V02.7z

I've done a few long journeys since and the update seems to have worked - my satnav hasn't crashed once..

Thanks for all your efforts guys!!

karrenstanly

Jan 15, 2018
Absolutely I am with Rcopus, I think every car manufacturer must provide software updates at free cost as a quality service. Thanks for adding this point.

Tell

Staff member
Absolutely I am with Rcopus, I think every car manufacturer must provide software updates at free cost as a quality service. Thanks for adding this point.

Obviously I would agree but I've got a bit tired of making this point. I think the community of Seat drivers would also update the Here Maps as well via the Here Map Creator scheme but as it stands Seat not providing Mapcare in some countries or making it chargeable leads to built in obsolescence the moment you take delivery of the car. VW and Skoda brands now offer Mapcare for life but Seat is just dragging it's heels. The token cost of Mapcare is very small yet it's not offered.

littleleon13

Feb 10, 2018
Knowledge

Tell You have already readed my new posts or you are only spammer? Please you dont quote my OLD messages. I found solution for MIB1 map cards as I wrote, I can pair any card with MIB1, I dont have MIB2. Its possible to pair standard sd or original sd.
Check the cid ;) All functions are working as before. I am adapting map card in clear way without touching vw base protection so still possible adapt new functions via vw. I dont touch component protection.

Hi Explorer, i have long time worked on the protection of MIB1 Standard for my Car because i don't have the Mapcare option to update my maps.

I'm really worried about that because i would like to put the last map updates on my car and if i can do that, i'm obliged to buy something like mirrorlink box (to share my phone screen to the screen of my car) or a new hacked MIB2 unit for at least 1300 USD...

As i know after my research, the unit check the MD5 checksum of the map files, only on the maps files (psf files).

All other files of the SD card are not protected, like that, it's possible to change the version of the map on the dbinfo.txt file with no problem for example.

For me, the only solution is to change de MD5 cheksum of the new maps files to the same of the old maps files but i don't find a software to do that (like change just the end of the file to transform the MD5 result of it)

If you've founded a solution to make it work the map update, even if we have to weld something on the unit, please say us the solution !

We are responsible of what we do ! you will be not affect if somebody makes a mistake with your solution.

But, your are on a Forum and the first work, the first utility of a Forum is to share knowlegde.

So, please, for all the members, for me, share your knowledge !!!!!

Many many thanks for your comprehension. :)

martijnb

Nov 5, 2017
Of course I will keep you informed.
That navigation must be coded, only the dealer can.
Is this perhaps a good alternative:

This is from VAG systems
VAG

Or else these from Aliexpress
ALI

Tell

Staff member
Hi all. I wanted to see if the Exciter's method would work on My 65-plate Alhambra's MIB2 satnav - Seat Leon and a few other models are mentioned on this thread but Alhambra isn't so I gave the following a try (making slight amendments to another user's post that I followed so thanks to him too):

I managed to update from 0430 to 0915 with exciter's approach, i.e.:
1. Backed up the entire "maps" folder on my original maps SD card (v0430 2014-15 EC1) to my NAS drive
3. Copied the freshly downloaded 0915 version (12/12/2017 EC1 2018) to the SD card
4. Replaced /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with that from my original backup of 0430

I downloaded the latest map dated 12/12/2017 from VW's website by picking and choosing my vehicle as a VW Sharan Discover Media sat nav map update. the link h*t*t*p://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.c*o*m/DiscoverMedia2_EU1_4517_0915_V02.7z

I've done a few long journeys since and the update seems to have worked - my satnav hasn't crashed once..

Thanks for all your efforts guys!!

Glad that worked. I see we have now integrated taking the VW family file before Seat gets round to publishing it (my suggestion :D... saved the day when I messed up my Plus unit by finding the archive file it was built with), back up in the instructions as the first stage etc etc. The old 4th stage that wasnt required bumped off the end with the +1 renumbering. The early instructions were when people were manufacturing back up cards and were writing the hidden CID. So yes they should be good for the next update for the Mib2 Standard unit changing the filenames where required.

Last edited:

epsilon

Dec 14, 2017
Hi, its a bit hard.

Do you have mib 1 or mib 2 unit? Full link is only in mib 2 but for sure.

I think that unit without gps have similar pcb but with unpopulated components for gps module. You could like to check if you have fakra connector (blue) for gps or no.

If there is fakra connector for gps so GPS menu option is possible to enabled via vcds or another tool via can but next problem is license.

If you activate navi option via vcds ->navi message with text "navigation function is not enabled" will be showed because you need FEC license.

License is generated on the VW server for specific VIN and file is signed by rsa private key. Private key not possible to found in public channels so only one possiblility is patched firmware or there is posiibele activate navigation via this trick

Car is finally with me.
On system info I see
device part # 5QA035824B
hardware h41
software 0468

Is there easy way to identify is this MIB 1 or 2?

Cheers,
Vasil

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
Hi Explorer, i have long time worked on the protection of MIB1 Standard for my Car because i don't have the Mapcare option to update my maps.

I'm really worried about that because i would like to put the last map updates on my car and if i can do that, i'm obliged to buy something like mirrorlink box (to share my phone screen to the screen of my car) or a new hacked MIB2 unit for at least 1300 USD...

As i know after my research, the unit check the MD5 checksum of the map files, only on the maps files (psf files).

All other files of the SD card are not protected, like that, it's possible to change the version of the map on the dbinfo.txt file with no problem for example.

For me, the only solution is to change de MD5 cheksum of the new maps files to the same of the old maps files but i don't find a software to do that (like change just the end of the file to transform the MD5 result of it)

If you've founded a solution to make it work the map update, even if we have to weld something on the unit, please say us the solution !

We are responsible of what we do ! you will be not affect if somebody makes a mistake with your solution.

But, your are on a Forum and the first work, the first utility of a Forum is to share knowlegde.

So, please, for all the members, for me, share your knowledge !!!!!

Many many thanks for your comprehension. :)

Hi,
firstly there is SHA1 hash in psf files not old MD5 and
MIB1 is not paired with hash but with version in map files.
If you change version in files computed hash will be different from one in signature and
MIB unit reject map files. There is needed completly rebuild signatures but it is possible only with correct private key (I dont know original private key for signing map files) My developed soft is rebuilding map files but I am using my own generated keys so without patching fw (for new keys) it isnt possible to run new map files. But for patching firmware is needed access to file system and mib1 std. dont have any open port for access. So there is needed additional hw and soldering skills for unlocking access to file system.

I can repair all bricked, cp locked seat MIB1 std. or only unlock new maps on it but only with direct access to mib unit. So you can come to me with your car or send mib unit.

Last edited:

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
Car is finally with me.
On system info I see
device part # 5QA035824B
hardware h41
software 0468

Is there easy way to identify is this MIB 1 or 2?

Cheers,
Vasil

This is MIB2 std. + NAV but there are unpopulated gps components on the board :(

Oct 28, 2017
I can repair all bricked, cp locked seat MIB1 std. or only unlock new maps on it but only with direct access to mib unit. So you can come to me with your car or send mib unit.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, where are you based? And how much do you charge for the latest map update on MIB1? I could do with the newest update on my one. Any chance of POI speed cameras on screen at the same time?

Not sure if I can PM you, can you send me an email or whats up contact, cheers.

littleleon13

Feb 10, 2018
This is MIB2 std. + NAV but there are unpopulated gps components on the board :(

Explorer, please share your soldering method and your software to rebuild Map files. I'm ready to pay you something by PayPal if it is that you want !!!

But please, share your knowledge for mib 1 unit !!!

ckpe

Mar 7, 2018
Glad that worked. I see we have now integrated taking the VW family file before Seat gets round to publishing it (my suggestion :D... saved the day when I messed up my Plus unit by finding the archive file it was built with), back up in the instructions as the first stage etc etc. The old 4th stage that wasnt required bumped off the end with the +1 renumbering. The early instructions were when people were manufacturing back up cards and were writing the hidden CID. So yes they should be good for the next update for the Mib2 Standard unit changing the filenames where required.

Hello.
I do not fully understand this.
Does this mean that it works for my Leon from 2016 if I do this and nothing else?
Can I destroy the radio by trying?
I have Navigation 6P0 (0730) and would like to upgrade to ver 0915 and I do not have MapCare

Tell

Staff member
CKPE that's all you need to do. There is a sector on the SD card that pairs the card up with the unit. When you reformat the SD card that sector isn't touched. As long as you back up first you can always get back to where you came from. Which is 1. Then you do 2 - 4.

That's it, that's what the mib2 standard navigation people have been doing on here for a while now thanks to a couple of helpfull posters that explored the files and files system to make it possible.

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
You only run the risk of breaking your sat nav by attempting to upgrade map software on sd card. As long as you have backed up the sd card before you start you always have a backup plan.

The Process you listed worked for me. I'm now running 0915 ;)

ckpe

Mar 7, 2018

You only run the risk of breaking your sat nav by attempting to upgrade map software on sd card. As long as you have backed up the sd card before you start you always have a backup plan.

The Process you listed worked for me. I'm now running 0915 ;)

What format do you format the SD card with - fat32? Or just delete it?

Before this, I just updated this folder maps \ 00 \ nds \ PRODUCT and my navi could not start anymore, I put the correct card in, again and after a few restarts, it worked again with the original card.