LED rear indicators

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I've found these non polarity bulbs, they don't ship to the UK though and not canbus http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=251084234877

They will have a polarity sensing/switching circuit built in,which gets round the issue of leds only working one way round and which would explain the high cost and why they won't be compatible with can bus

I should have guessed you would have found something like this that nearly proved my led statement wrong, I guess I should have been more specific in my statement :D lol
:)

kopnyr

Nov 8, 2013
Nitra, Slovakia
In new Leon side light have positive pin on metal body and negative pin in bottom. It is not so good, because so many LEDS have pins reversed. If you want to use usual LEDS as side light (as me) you must "repins" the positive and negative connection. And second issue is resistors. Due very small current consumption of LEDS, you must use appropriate resistors in parallel connection with LEDS (without resistors Leon say "BULB ERROR"). Be carefull, resistors are very hot in action, whitch means that must be appropriate placed (i.e. glued to metal part of bodywork of car).

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
In new Leon side light have positive pin on metal body and negative pin in bottom. It is not so good, because so many LEDS have pins reversed. If you want to use usual LEDS as side light (as me) you must "repins" the positive and negative connection. And second issue is resistors. Due very small current consumption of LEDS, you must use appropriate resistors in parallel connection with LEDS (without resistors Leon say "BULB ERROR"). Be carefull, resistors are very hot in action, whitch means that must be appropriate placed (i.e. glued to metal part of bodywork of car).

The problem with fitting resistors in line means you need to cut the cable to put in the resistor, which most people want to avoid cutting up their wiring loom,hence the long thread, if you're cutting the loom to put in a resistor you may as well just swap the wires over then as you will have already cut the loom once , doing one more cut is neither here nor there, the loom was damaged forever when you made your first cut so what's another cut

Far easy to buy bulbs that are can bus (have resistor built in) and just swap the pins on the light unit plug round as you suggest and I recommended in an earlier post

With a simple pin swap, you solve all the problems of fitting leds to a mk3 leon and you can put it back to factory at a later date with no sign that you ever did enything

kopnyr

Nov 8, 2013
Nitra, Slovakia
Completely agree.
And for resistors, you cant cut anything, they have a plastic cap with metal pins inside and they are connected directly to wires. If you want to cut resistors in future, open the plastic cap, pull back metal pins inside cap, an there is nothing after the resistors. :)

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
It was easy enough.

1 seperate the base my using a precision screwdriver as a wedge and unsoldering the 3 solder blobs:

nu2yvu5a.jpg

Double check the polarity for my sanity:

eteja5uv.jpg

Remove the outer ring on the pcb except from the bit which is slightly wider than the rest:

uzusyqar.jpg

Trim the bottom piece to remove a piece slightly bigger than the bit of ring you just left:

e9umegem.jpg

Now you can add a new negative. Just melt the bottom bobble and pass it through:

5uzypeqy.jpg

Put some heat shrink on your new negative:

zu2u8ydu.jpg

Then connect it to the bit of ring you left:

ju4u7yru.jpg

Trim and connect the old positive to the outer housing:

equjysu5.jpg

Superglue the bottom back on, switch the polarity and test:

a8uquvyr.jpg

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Great work. Well give it a go when I have time :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Kafkaesque

You can definitely see the difference. I've now got a few projects to keep me busy until the car gets here! :)

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
Pleasue, good to give something back.

Best news is that they actually work. This video does not really capture it but you can tell it's a much cleaner on/off. LED on the right. You will notice the vid actually ends with the left one on and the right off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5z07YtVTgE

Oh, no errors either.

Just read this again and saw it was the right that was the LED I thought it was the left that was brighter :rolleyes: I was thinking at the time it doesn't really go off like the right one does.
Your right Dean it doesn't do it justice :D

Btw you've a question in the vid comments DC ;)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Just read this again and saw it was the right that was the LED I thought it was the left that was brighter :rolleyes: I was thinking at the time it doesn't really go off like the right one does.
Your right Dean it doesn't do it justice :D

Btw you've a question in the vid comments DC ;)

It's brighter in the indicator itself but less glare. What I was after was a clean on/off.

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
It's brighter in the indicator itself but less glare. What I was after was a clean on/off.

I see that having gave it more views, deffo less glare and a way cleaner on/off. Actually thought the right was the better indicator at the time anyway so mission accomplished :D

The left glare sucked me in to thinking brighter = LED but had I read your initial post properly *Strikes Columbo pose* :whistle:

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Really interesting DeanC. Thought it wouldn't be long before you got to work on this and got this to work.
Some Qs please:
1 Is the rectangle connected to the old positive the canbus resistor
2 Did you think of insulating the metal base from the remaining solder on the PCB ie the negative rather than chopping the metal case?
3 After supergluing, how about some araldite to ensure the PSB sticks well to the metal? I've found even glass bulbs have a habit of separating from the base leaving you with the base in the holder and difficult to extract.
4 Why doesn't some one in the Far East make a positive can LED amber indicator?

Really enjoyed this project as a great companion to the LED reversing light.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Really interesting DeanC. Thought it wouldn't be long before you got to work on this and got this to work.
Some Qs please:
1 Is the rectangle connected to the old positive the canbus resistor
2 Did you think of insulating the metal base from the remaining solder on the PCB ie the negative rather than chopping the metal case?
3 After supergluing, how about some araldite to ensure the PSB sticks well to the metal? I've found even glass bulbs have a habit of separating from the base leaving you with the base in the holder and difficult to extract.
4 Why doesn't some one in the Far East make a positive can LED amber indicator?

Really enjoyed this project as a great companion to the LED reversing light.

1 - yes

2 - you could do either just as easily

3 - it was strong enough. Only the very bottom with the pins goes into the fitting. Even if it separated you can still get the base out easily.

4 - they will at some point

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
DeanC was the removal of the rear lamp cluster easy or difficult? Do you have any pics please?

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
DeanC was the removal of the rear lamp cluster easy or difficult? Do you have any pics please?

Piece of piss. No pics but if you open the boot you will see a little carpet cover next to each light. Under this is a big plastic 12mm hex nut (which can be removed with a flat head screwdriver). Undo this making sure you don't drop the white washer. Then just pull the light from the bit near the boot that is now loose in an arc towards the side of the car. The light is held on with two nobbles right at the edge on the rear quarter and will just pop out.

To refit you just push the nobbles back in and push it back round in an arc then put the nut in.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.