SatNav Navigation Database Updates

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
I thought the following might be of interest:

I have a SEAT Leon Mk3 FR with the Tech Pack Media System Plus/SatNav (new in October 2013) running SatNav Navigation database version 5F0919866E 0034 ECE 2013/2014.

My local SEAT dealer and SEAT UK have both told me that it would cost me £125 to update the SatNav Navigation database software to the latest version, which I think is 5F0919866F 0036 ECE 2014 (supplied on a plug-in SD card). I pointed out that I thought that VW, Audi and Skoda offer free navigation database updates via the web.

I also asked SEAT UK if I could get the Media System Plus software updated from my current version 0421 (running on hardware version 040) to the latest version, which I think is version 0425 (also running on hardware version 040), but I was told that this software cannot be updated from the original as-supplied version.

Mar 13, 2011
I thought the following might be of interest:

My local SEAT dealer and SEAT UK have both told me that it would cost me £125 to update the SatNav Navigation database software to the latest version, which I think is 5F0919866F 0036 ECE 2014 (supplied on a plug-in SD card). I pointed out that I thought that VW, Audi and Skoda offer free navigation database updates via the web.

£125 for a map update! That is really taking the piss. One of the reasons I dislike factory nav, give my my trusty old tomtom any day.

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009
ditto, its a stupid price for a map update. I'll be using waze on my phone even though I've got the tech pack

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
I also asked SEAT UK if I could get the Media System Plus software updated from my current version 0421 (running on hardware version 040) to the latest version, which I think is version 0425 (also running on hardware version 040), but I was told that this software cannot be updated from the original as-supplied version.

Coincidentally I've asked the same thing my dealers today. Knowing their usual attitude though, I've asked my question this way:

"I've had my media system software hanging few times already, is there a way for you to check if there is a software update and have it installed."

And they answered positively ;) So, just ask them the right way :D

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
We had a good thread going investigating the reasons why we can't use the superficially identical VW/Skoda free updates, but I think we kind of reached the limits of what we could reasonably do with everyone's technical capabilities.

£125 isn't awful compared to other manufacturers, although it is compared to tomtom etc. Theres not too many roads that are so different over the course of 3 years as to be unintelligible so I'm not that bothered, but it does sting a bit when the other VW stuff is free

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I am surprised that S/w cannot be updated. I thought that was the point of software rather than hardware with everything coded in. It is also a point made on SEAT servicing sites that all S/w will be updated when car taken in for servicing

I'd try a trusted dealer as SEAT UK CS are not always right eg it took 8 calls over 5 months for me to finally be told that the oil for the DSG boxes is unavailable at present from someone in the executive office. Until then I had been promised a letter with details of how to get the job done. Now it's wait patiently!

Last edited:

Excalpino

Jan 30, 2014
Perth, - still in the UK :-)
DSCF2198_zpsc5eb5fe3.jpg

As a point of reference:
I took delivery of my Week 11 (2014) FR on 28th March. System details as above.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
That's interesting.

We are seeing upgrades to Software 0425 (was 0421)
Database 5F0919866F (5F0919866E) 0036 (0034) ECE 2014 (2013/14)

Anyone know the change log?

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
That's interesting.

We are seeing upgrades to Software 0425 (was 0421)
Database 5F0919866F (5F0919866E) 0036 (0034) ECE 2014 (2013/14)

Anyone know the change log?

I checked again with my local SEAT dealer earlier this week and they confirmed what SEAT Customer Services had told me earlier, that there is no update available from Software 0421 to the latest Software 0425, even though both versions run under the same Hardware Version 040. They also confirmed that the Navigation database update would cost me £125.

Does anyone know whether the Software Version number (i.e. 0425) is associated with and/or part of the Navigation database version? - I.e. does the Software version get updated automatically if the the Navigation database is updated? SEAT Customer Service simply told me the Software cannot be updated, but did not explain why.

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
I can't help getting the impression that SEAT do not want to explain why the software can't be updated or what the updated software includes and/or fixes on the Media Plus and/or Navigation system - They just seem to want to state that it cannot be updated, end of story. :confused:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
SEAT have nothing to do with software updates they come directly from the manufacturer... Only the map updates can be got through SEAT

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
SEAT have nothing to do with software updates they come directly from the manufacturer... Only the map updates can be got through SEAT

That's useful information and the first time anyone has clearly explained this. I assume then that the Media Plus/SatNav systems are made, programmed and supplied to SEAT by a third-party company outside the VAG group, hence the lack of available detail about enhancements, bug-fixes, etc and that the Navigation updates are then provided separately as an independent application which runs on the Media Plus system hardware and software platform.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
For example the RNS310 fitted in my 2010 LCR.

Map updates can be bought from SEAT (I downloaded them however)

I asked SEAT about a firmware update and was told no updates were available. Quick search on GPS Underground and I found a load of updates

Rob2k68

Jun 11, 2014
Rugby
Hi, wonder if you guys can shed any light on this ? I have software version 0407 and have just purchased the new maps genuine and sealed from ebay part no. 5F0.919.866.F yet I get the error saying that the data on the SD card are not valid. Am I doing something stupid or maybe I need a later software ???

Cheers,
Rob.

Rob2k68

Jun 11, 2014
Rugby
Are you absolutely sure that your ebay purchase is a genuine SEAT part?

Hi, yes 99% they came from a seller with huge feedback and were still sealed. The printing and presentation case looks identical to the V3 one I have. I'll drop into my local dealership this afternoon and see if I can try their latest V4 map card to see if that works.

Cheers, Rob.

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
From Dutch forum the general opinion seems to be cars before a certain week cannot be updated either online or by using genuine SD cards from dealers etc. I have a call logged with Cust Svs on this still awaiting the outcome.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.