Windscreen leak maybe?

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Hey guys and gals!

As I got in to my car last night, ready for my night shift, after a decent days worth of down pour to add to that I found my leg quite damp as though my seat was soaked.

I though to myself, nah can't be. Albeit I was wrong! I had a quick look about with the lights on inside the car and I found a water leak from the drivers windscreen pillar at the top where the corner is. The fabric was soaked as was my seat, to be honest I was quite annoyed but there was nothing I could do about it apart from put a bag on my seat and hope the rain died off through the night. As to which it slacked off but spat.

Here's the picture of what I saw last night:
AKVsIEA.jpg

I'm guessing that the seal for the windscreen has failed me? If so, all I do is take the plastic/rubber trim from the drivers side windscreen off then seal under there or?

Has anyone else had this or come across it before? If so what was it you did to stop it? What sealant is needed? This is so I can hopefully purchase some later after my sleep and get it sorted as this is a must do as soon as possible thing for me, as I can't be doing with a soaked seat! [:@]

Hope there is someone here who has had this and can help though haha! I'm lost as to what to do apart from possibly getting in touch with AutoGlass to reseal my windscreen?

Thanks in advance! :)

--Lee

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Hi Lee, sorry to hear that, do you have a sunroof?? If so it might be that seal but if not it might not just be a quick fix - might need a new windscreen/seal
Looking at the pic, it looks like you've had a leak for a while (dark/black spots, looks like damp) :shrug:
Sorry not much help but hopefully someone can help better and hope you get it fixed ;)

Reactions: Israar

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Thanks for the quick reply bruceR!

I don't have a sunroof, which is one thing I'm glad considering the fact the Leons are prone to leaks haha! :D So I'm guessing it's a reseal. Would I be better asking AutoGlass to reseal my windscreen?

Yeah that's what I was thinking after I took the picture, I know I have the doors and possibly pollen filter to sort out, that I can deal with for now until we have some better weather, though this leak I could do with getting done asap! I have had/noticed damp in the car due to the leaks which I sorted out, I just never really looked up at the roof like a plonker to see if there was any leaks above me. The dealership did a good job (not a perfect job though) of hiding the damp that was in the air vents, they didn't tell me of the leaks I found them out myself after a few months of having the car in good weather and when it rained I was like argh! :wtf:

Now since I noticed this leak I will at some point change the material of the roof as it's not bad but it's definitely discoloured.

Either way mate I appreciate all who have an input to anything I query, it's very nice and I hope I can get it sorted asap haha! :D

--Lee

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
I have roof material going spare mate, free if you want to pick it up from North Wales :)

Also have the fabric door strips that go around the inner door frame if you want that too.

Possibly windscreen, looks awfully high up the roof lining though. It would need fully re-sealing if it is that, it might be the rubber on the upper door seal inside otherwise.

Reactions: Israar

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
I have roof material going spare mate, free if you want to pick it up from North Wales :)

Also have the fabric door strips that go around the inner door frame if you want that too.

Possibly windscreen, looks awfully high up the roof lining though. It would need fully re-sealing if it is that, it might be the rubber on the upper door seal inside otherwise.

Thanks mate, that's a really nice offer!

I'd happily come and pick it up, means I get to meet another friendly SCN member and can put a face to the name! :) Though it will have to be until after pay day so I have the fuel money to come down haha! :D

The fabric door strips, what exactly is that is it the stuff that goes over the door cards or?

I couldn't get a proper picture of the actual area with it raining outside, I'll go and take a picture or two now while it looks decent outside and see if I can post up some more pictures. You can put your finger up to the inside of the corner on the windscreen and it was damp so that's why it made me think windscreen. :)

Top corner of the windscreen/roof
rtLPyVR.jpg

Roof fabric/pillar
MP2h9Lz.jpg

How the windscreen plastic/rubber is sitting
XP4qyot.jpg

What it looks like underneath when I lift it
aCBt9yi.jpg

--Lee

Last edited:

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
No worries mate, yeah that's fine just let me know nearer the time so we can arrange something.

The fabric bit I mean is in your picture from the first post, you have the roof lining, the plastic pillar cover and the bit that is left is the fabric and rubber seal I mean.

That external seal looks pretty worn, for the sake of your windscreen excess it might be worth jist having it redone.

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
No worries mate, yeah that's fine just let me know nearer the time so we can arrange something.

The fabric bit I mean is in your picture from the first post, you have the roof lining, the plastic pillar cover and the bit that is left is the fabric and rubber seal I mean.

That external seal looks pretty worn, for the sake of your windscreen excess it might be worth jist having it redone.

Oh, you mean the fabric and rubber that is covering the pillar and roof lining ends? Sorry if I'm wrong again on this one haha! :D

Will definitely let you know sooner the time mate, I'll give AutoGlass a ring in about 15mins or so and find out what it will cost to have the windscreen reseated and resealed, will get back to you with the details after booking albeit I might have to wait until the 24th for payday :cry: Just hope there is no more rain until then! :)

Thanks again for the help guys, much appreciated! :D

*EDIT* Phoned AutoGlass, the chap I spoke to said that he'd arrange for a call to be made to me so I was thinking within a few days maybe. Well I got a phone call just over an hour after ringing AutoGlass so I was quite chuffed with how quickly they got back to me. I spoke to this new guy who rang me about the problem, he said the best thing to do would be to come to the nearest AutoGlass centre so a free assessment could tell me exactly what needs doing. (Nearest to my postcode being Worcester) So will be taking a trip down on Saturday to have it looked at and see what they will recommend, hopefully it won't be too expensive but either way it needs doing XD

--Lee

Last edited:

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
That's the one, you can see it in your original post. That's fine mate, the 24th is my birthday anyway so I'll be a bit occupied then :p

Glad you got somewhere with autoglass, hopefully you can out it through your insurance as well so it'll only cost your windscreen excess!

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Sweet, at least I know what it is now and I'll take that off your hands too if it's in your way :D

Haha, well happy early birthday wish from me mate, hope it's a good one for you, I'll be at work (working nights XD)

Yeah, speaking to the guy at AutoGlass he said with me being fully comp I can go through my insurance and only pay my windscreen cover excess (which is £75), if the job costs less than £75 then I'll go without the insurance cover, otherwise I'm looking at around £75 :)

--Lee

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Thanks mate, hopefully soon, just had another phone call from AutoGlass this time from a woman, damn I love those sexy phone voices haha! :D

Anyway, she took my reg, location, problem and said that I'd be having another phone call with a quote, hopefully nothing too much possibly under £75 fingers crossed haha :)

--Lee

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.