Instrument panel lighting moding

Johnny Leon

May 17, 2005
Read the other threads re dimming of instrument panel lights with/without AUTO lights when going under trees etc but think my issue's a bit different. Got a 15 plate 1.8 FR Tech Pack that's MY16 spec. No AUTO position on the rotary lights switch (nor rain/lights pack). First noticed issue when driving at dusk with sidelights on and not being able to see speedo dial properly.

1) With ignition in first position the dash warning lights come on, as do DIS display and fuel and temp indicators. Speedo and rev counter dials aren't illuminated, needles are illuminated (already illuminated with ignition off). Ok I thought, can see them ok in daylight without.

2) Selecting rotary to first 'sidelights' position results in switches around Nav High display illuminating, along with all other heating, leccy door switches etc. Speedo and rev counter dials aren't illuminated, needles are. Not good, as soon as sun starts going down can't see dials properly.

3) Selecting rotary to second 'dipped beam' position results in speedo and rev counter dials illuminating. Ok.

Checked manual and on p135 'Instrument panel lighting' it states 'With the ignition on and without light activation, the instrument panel lighting remains activated in daytime light conditions. The lighting is reduced as the exterior light diminishes.' So looks like something's not working right.

Tried the 'shine torch on light sensor within instrument panel' trick thinking sensor might be duff. For 1) & 2) this results in speedo and rev counter dials and needles illuminating (and switch lighting becomes brighter). In 3) everything gets a bit brighter. So the sensor's working, but not as required/expected as daylight doesn't result in same effect. Note: changing brightness setting through Car -> lights menu setting doesn't change basic moding.

So, does anyone else's work the same way ? Also, can the sensitivity/threshold of the dash ambient light sensor be changed through VCDS ? Or have SEAT decided we all need to drive round with dipped beam if its not sunny (Spanish settings ? - very sunny=DRLs, sunny=sidelights, all other conditions=dipped beam) ?

Last edited:

nljungstrand

May 13, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
The illumination of the dials fades as the sensor detects it´s getting darker, to make you switch the lights on! What is not working as described in the manual?

Johnny Leon

May 17, 2005
The fact you can't see them when its still light outside - no street lights on, no other cars with any lights on - even if you put your sidelights on. The illumination appears permanently faded in normal use, ie it doesn't illuminate unless you shine a bright light directly at it. Hence thought it might be a fault as I would hope SEAT don't expect you to drive round with dipped beam most of the time in daylight, annoying other drivers just so you can see your dials ? Accepte in Sweden in might work fine for you as its dark a lot more hours a day in winter and hence need to switch dipped beam on anyway.

Last edited:

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
This reply is by no means helpful but just a thought? Surely if it's light outside then the dials don't need illuminating to see them?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
My instruments do light up when the switch is in the sidelight position as well as the headlight position.

Like you - I find the instruments going dark far too quickly when you can see easily outside and most people still don't have their lights on.

EDIT - I do have the auto lights position on the switch but I never use it.

Last edited:

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I find even when the instruments go dim the auto lights don't come on. Seems daft to me as would expect lights to come on when dash dims :confused::eek:

Johnny Leon

May 17, 2005
Thanks for the replies. Just been driving back from the Dales 4-5pm in low sun and dials not illuminated at all - really annoying. Wonder if its a MY16 change where sidelights position doesn't light dials up the way they do on dipped beam? Anyone else out there with MY16 confirm this ?

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Thanks for the replies. Just been driving back from the Dales 4-5pm in low sun and dials not illuminated at all - really annoying. Wonder if its a MY16 change where sidelights position doesn't light dials up the way they do on dipped beam? Anyone else out there with MY16 confirm this ?
So were you driving with sidelights on? I'll try mine tomorrow.

fabiavrs2004

Sep 11, 2015
Bristol
Just checked, my MY16 dashlights only come on with headlights. Not a Ricky bird on side lights. Is there still a light sensor.

Johnny Leon

May 17, 2005
So were you driving with sidelights on? I'll try mine tomorrow.

No, didn't need them, but would have been the same if I had (from experience on other days when i have had sidelights on)

Just checked, my MY16 dashlights only come on with headlights. Not a Ricky bird on side lights. Is there still a light sensor.

Ok, looks like something SEAT have chosen to change - thanks SEAT. Light sensor is in rev counter, just below and to right of centre of dial.

Last edited:

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
I have had an October 2013 FR from new with Tech Pack LED and auto headlights and leave the lights permanently in auto mode (set at medium sensitivity) and have never noticed any problems at all with the instrument (panel) lights at any time of day or night. And, yes, I do look at the instruments! So all of this and the other post on this subject seems quite strange to me. Seems like SEAT may have changed the the way the instrument lights work since 2013 and/or they work quite differently with the auto-lights option working in AUTO mode? Maybe the AUTO headlights sensitivity setting also affects the instrument light operation or sensitivity?

Last edited:

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs

Checked mine last night (MY16, 65 plate) and it behaves exacly the same as yours detailed in the first post. The only difference is mine has Auto lights. No illuminated dials unless the switch is in headlights position or Auto (and its dark).

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
The described behavior is a "feature" - sometimes the car detects that the conditions would require you to have lights on and, if for some reason, they are not (this affects cars with auto lighting also) it dims the dials to an almost unreadable condition to force you to manually turn the lights on.
Stupid? Yes it is, but it is a feature - it was a problem also on the Octavia (which I had before...) and often discussed in Skoda forums.
Somehow, my particular Cupra seems to not be so affected.

Ash82

Aug 19, 2018
Manchester
The described behavior is a "feature" - sometimes the car detects that the conditions would require you to have lights on and, if for some reason, they are not (this affects cars with auto lighting also) it dims the dials to an almost unreadable condition to force you to manually turn the lights on.
Stupid? Yes it is, but it is a feature - it was a problem also on the Octavia (which I had before...) and often discussed in Skoda forums.
Somehow, my particular Cupra seems to not be so affected.
There must be a way to keep the speedo lights on without them dimming

Ash82

Aug 19, 2018
Manchester
I think there is a sensor on the dials themselves that is independent of anything else - there is also an hack to change the levels of brightness based on that sensor's readings.
Do you know what it is? Can it done using vcds?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.