Petrol Cap

AdamC11

Jan 24, 2015
Bolton
Hi,

After a bit of advice.

When I unlock the car, the petrol cap is not releasing everytime. When I press the unlock button on the fob again it will release.

Any advice/suggestions?

Also when I lock the car, the petrol cap lock makes a rattle noise around the release?

Does it need a replacing?

Cheers

Ads

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Hi,

After a bit of advice.

When I unlock the car, the petrol cap is not releasing everytime. When I press the unlock button on the fob again it will release.

Any advice/suggestions?

Also when I lock the car, the petrol cap lock makes a rattle noise around the release?

Does it need a replacing?

Cheers

Ads

Judging by what you wrote, yes it does sound like it needs replacing.

Mine never makes any kind of noise ever, that I've noticed. And if the car is unlocked so should the petrol filler flap be! It sounds to me like yours is sticking. It may just need lubrication.

Dudders07

Nov 5, 2013
This used to happen to mine, eventually it failed to open. Had a new solenoid fitted under warranty. I believe it is a known VAG issue.

AdamC11

Jan 24, 2015
Bolton
Thanks for the replies.

It went to the dealer today.

They have replaced the motor and catch al under warranty.

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Thanks chrisRibiza, good informative thread link.
From reading the threads on this it seems that most people have the opposite problem to mine.
The parts on e-bay seem to be used parts, and I am not sure that replacing a part that appears to have a history of failure is a good idea.
Will probably get a new one from the dealer (at about £8-£10 more than the used parts I see online) and have a go at fitting it myself.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Dave @ SERE sold me the part cheaper than the used ones on eBay so worth checking!

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Tried SERE. Dave not available, but was quoted the same price as my dealer.
Just to labour this issue:-
When removing your petrol flap to get access to the actuator you say that a bit of brute force was necessary.
Now brute force is something I excel at, but usually with bad outcomes :-(

I have seen a video on line for removing a flap assembly that strongly resembles the Leon Mk3. There are four blank screwdriver slots in the flap housing that may line up with the securing clips. In the video the blank slots were "opened up" with a screwdriver to allow the securing clips to be prised and the flap assembly removed.

Can you remember if the blank slots on your flap coincided with the top and bottom securing clips?

Last edited:

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
There are no slots on the Leon one but there is a thin rubber seal the whole way round. I used a plastic trim tool to get it opened. In fairness it did take some force but I only moved it enough to get the part out and replaced. The top opened easily but I think the force from it pushing down is why the bottom clips were hard to get out.

I did intend to take photos when I was doing mine but it was getting dark so didn't get time.

If you look at the 2nd photo on the other thread you'll see where the clips are.

Last edited:

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
Got this fault as intermittent issue on my golf, warranty job in my opinion as it's central locking linked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Finally got round to fitting the new actuator.
The four clips seem to be plastic wedge shapes rather than flexible clips.

The top two are fairly easily prised and held out with plastic trim tools. To release the bottom two I slid a plastic trim tool down the rear vertical edge toward the bottom rear clip at the same time prising the flap assembly outward. This way the whole of the Petrol flap assembly popped out to allow removal of the actuator.

Maybe this technique could be useful for others who needs to replace the actuator.

glenh

Feb 10, 2017
I had this issue in the past on a MK7 golf. Took the actuator to bits, cleaned it up (full of water - sealing isn't very good), added grease and put it back together. It's been fine ever since.

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
The actuator has a "lid" with seven wedge clips on it securing it to the main body by thin tabs on the main body.
Tried to release one of the clips and broke the thin body tab. The tabs start to crack if touched.
No sign of water sloshing about anyway.

glenh

Feb 10, 2017
Yeah, you can't really get it apart without breaking the lid/back off. I had to glue it back on afterwards.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
There's a fix where they file down edges of where the hatch locks into, dealer did this to mine yesterday and greased it, all working fine again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
marty_34. I don't think I understand "where the hatch locks into" or what edges are filed down. Are the edges that require filing located inside the actuator or on the petrol flap itself?

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
Have this intermitant fault on my Leon. Filled up last week and flap opened but previous five fill ups the filler door remained shut until second press of the key.
Went in for a service this week and of course the damned thing refused to stick for the technician. Service advisor was most helpful and said if it sticks again bring it right down to the dealership so she could see it.
When I went out I unlocked it and thought I'll just check the flap and guess what:lol: it stuck. So back in to see the advisor saying " bet you didn't expect to see me so soon." Technician came out and said they tried it at least twenty times and it did not stick.
New part ordered and I await their phone call. Lucky or what. Think I' ll do the lottery tonight.:rofl:

Last edited:

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
It's the flap which is filed but I know for 100% it was the actuator at fault in mine as it was making a squeal every time you pressed the key button so it was dying!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise