17536: Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean

Guys,

As of yesterday I've managed to pick up the above fault code. If I clear the code the car runs fine for a few miles before popping back up and running in limp mode.

After much searching and reading I've tracked it down to 3 possible issues...MAF, Lambda probes or Boost/VAC leak.

So today I spent most of the day replacing boost/vac pipes, some of which were completely shot.

Whilst I was there I also removed the MAF and an N75 and cleaned them thoroughly with IPA/Isoprop.

Whilst I was there I also disconnected the battery.

I refitted the MAF, N75, double checked all the hoses, reconnected the battery and performed a TBA before taking the car out for a spin.

A few miles later the car is back in limp mode with the same fault logged.

Some further reading lead me to check block 031 and 032 with VAG-COM (http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/391473/ShowPost.aspx)

Here are my findings....

http://www.seatcupra.net/IbizaR/LOG-002-031-032.xls

Car is fine until lambda 2 hits +10.

Next log is after the code is cleared...

http://www.seatcupra.net/IbizaR/LOG-002-031-032_Run2.xls

Max MAF reading is/was 149.97 g/s, limp mode soon followed along with the fault code....

Control Module Part Number: 6K0 906 032 AB
Component and/or Version: 1.8L20VTCUPRA R 0001
Software Coding: 11500
Work Shop Code: WSC 78133
1 Faults Found:
17536 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean
P1128 - 35-00 - -

As as an aside I decided to clear the fault again and unplug the MAF, took the car for a quick spin and it went like stink with every run. No errors were logged apart from the MAF signal too low (obviously).

Car spec is as listed in my signature....

Any ideas guys?

Cheers,

Marts

Jay

Mar 6, 2004
france
Visit site
i was going to say that 149g/s @ 5040 rpm was not so bad (i think it could be 10g/s higher) but the 17.22ms injection time was really low, and then i realized you have stage 2 so remap targeted to a 4b fpr and lower injection time :redface:

sorry if i say something stupid but :

- a problem with the FPR ? injection ?

- a messed o² sensor that report wrong values ?

Jay

Mar 6, 2004
france
Visit site
Martyn said:
I don't as yet have a 4 bar FPR buddy :(

i think you have found your problem ;)

the stage 2 remap is targeted to the 4b fpr and so injection times are lower, keeping the 3b fpr and you run lean.

i would say you shouldn't use the car until fitting a 4b fpr :(

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
without the constant ECU adaptations & Reset you get normal injection times with a 3bar..... it just adapts to suit. (I borrowed a 4bar to prove my theory)

Jay

Mar 6, 2004
france
Visit site
m0rk said:
without the constant ECU adaptations & Reset you get normal injection times with a 3bar..... it just adapts to suit. (I borrowed a 4bar to prove my theory)

i'm not sure to correctly understand what you write (not awaked enough to be sure to translate well :redface: ), but you mean you use a 3b fpr with stage 2 and all is ok with ecu adapting and using higher injection time ?

Martyn's log is quickly showing more than 10% for multiplicative trim and a max of 25% (which may be the max it can report seeing how it hit a wall on this perfect round up value), i don't think adaptation can deal with that kind of difference :confused:

i remember i have seen in one of your log that the maf values was low (with correct boost) it may explain that ecu managed to adapt without throwing a fault, do you have a log of block 32 to see your trim values ?

i'm sorry if i misunderstand :worship:

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
Hi martyn,

Just confirm to me you are running stage 2 for sure, as how come who ever loaded it did not fit the 4 bar fpr?

only revo will know or maybe bill, but revo stage 2 ignores 2nd 02 sensor is this for fault code? or does it make the numbers mean nothing? as you start @ stioch then go mega lean!!!! also this is closed loop, so i think above 2500 revs WOT 02 sensor does jack for fueling, left to maf etc, i would swap your maf with someone else's mate, known good one............

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
Martyn noticed you have a multi code not addi code, that means your running lean all throughout rev range!!!!!! i calc on your 149g/s reading you are doing 185 bhp ish well down for an R i am 98% certain your Maf is feked mate

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.