£99 diagnostic fee

andycupra

status subject to change
the thing that gets me about these diagnostic fees is the work involved is usually plugging a computer in or calling seat tech.
then they complete work which has a 50/50 chance of actually fixing the issue despite the dealers saying they have the equipment and know-how to diagnose.

Now, if i go to any other garage they dont charge the diagnostic fee, so why should i go to a dealer?

well, here's a thought. you pay the diagnostic fee, and this fee includes a guarantee. That the work then done will only be charged if it fixes the issue. if the fault isnt fixed, no charge.
and in fact, the diagnostic fee should be discounted against the repair cost, or provides a 10% discount up to the value of the fee.

Personally, im staggered how incompetent and clueless dealers have been when ive used them and how its clearly all about what they can get out of you. oh and if you didnt know, the dealers routinely search places such as SCN for help to diagnose.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Update - no £99 diagnostic fee.

They removed the air box battery and replaced the coolant pump with regard to the rev issue, not had a chance to drive the car yet, so not sure if it has fixed the issue.

Double update - tested the car now and the revs no longer rise randomly, problem fixed!

Last edited:

SteJP

Jan 24, 2015

They removed the air box battery and replaced the coolant pump with regard to the rev issue, not had a chance to drive the car yet, so not sure if it has fixed the issue.

Double update - tested the car now and the revs no longer rise randomly, problem fixed!

May I ask what the revs were doing? How far were they going up?

Cheers

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello

Mine has been doing this since day 1 but just cba taking it in.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
May I ask what the revs were doing? How far were they going up?

Cheers

Hi mate,

The revs would rise to 1.5k when coming to a complete stop and then settle down, when the engine was warm they would rise to 2k sometimes when coming to a complete stop and then settle down.

SteJP

Jan 24, 2015
Hi mate,

The revs would rise to 1.5k when coming to a complete stop and then settle down, when the engine was warm they would rise to 2k sometimes when coming to a complete stop and then settle down.

Ye I'm sure mine was doing that today, I had it before too. What was the part that needed changing?

Cheers

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Ye I'm sure mine was doing that today, I had it before too. What was the part that needed changing?

Cheers

First they thought it might be the throttle controller but in the end they removed the air box battery and replaced the coolant pump.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I had a similar situation at Honda a few years ago except the diagnosis charge when levied after the warranty work was completed when picking up the car I started to argue the cost when SWMBO leaned over and told me to just pay it {£60}, she then went to the Franchise manager's office and told him she was not happy and that they had seen the last of us, we had bought 3 new cars in the space of 5 years, I returned to visit in my latest S2000 a few weeks later, when asked why I dealt elsewhere I suggested that they look a their service departments procedures, new dealer was so much better anyway they did me a favour really.

It is actually a normal procedure to inform customers of a diagnosis charge should any problem turn out to be not warranty chargeable but if the work is covered under warranty then of course the charge is absorbed.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise