“Downgrading” from a newer Civic to a Mk1 Leon

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Hey folks!

Long time since I last posted although I lurk on here occasionally ;) Hope you’re all well.

So I have a “fun” 2nd car that is a heavily modified 350Z, and a 2010 1.8 Civic as a daily driver up and down the motorway (60 miles a day round trip, although I lift share so drive somewhere just over 50% of the time.

According to valuations online, my civic is worth about £3-4K, with 76k on the clock.
I’ve realised how good value the mk1 Leon cupra is now, I could probably pick up a decent ish example for less than the value of my civic. It’d be a lot older, but a much nicer car IMO, loved my mk1 cupra I had back in 2003-2006.

Insurance costs and fuel costs aren’t miles apart either.

Am I mad? Would it cost me a lot more to keep the mk1 cupra running in terms of maintenance? I’m not bothered about mileage if it’s been looked after, the engines are pretty solid.

Cheers!
Paul

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
I suspect you know the answer more than most here.

You want another Mk1 and you know what to look for and the cost to fix, little has changed apart from more available for breaking.

Also getting one could get you to be here more which might mean your guides get found easier! :)

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
I suspect you know the answer more than most here.

You want another Mk1 and you know what to look for and the cost to fix, little has changed apart from more available for breaking.

Also getting one could get you to be here more which might mean your guides get found easier! :)

Lol. Didn’t realise my guides were tricky to find to be honest, think the site has changed a fair bit since I uploaded them and closed my website several years ago!

What’s the highest mileage Mk1 LC or LCR out there? Anything specific to look for at circa 100-120k miles?

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Ive seen a cupra 1.8t on 275,000 miles! I sh!t you not. Loads are on 200,000. Mines now getting on for 107k and I hammer it every time I sit in it and she just won't pop. There are more cupra out there with low mileage than cupra R and a lot cheaper.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk