007p'd my Leon but not very loud

kineticz

Forever moddin'
Jul 23, 2008
Shropshire
www.wepaintanypart.co.uk
Hey dudes,
Fitted my Forge 007p BOV and large open cone green cotton air filter this weekend, and I can hear a slight tscch sound but it isn't very loud? It can't be heard at all from outside.

Will it take time to wear in? Or can it be improved? How loud should they be?

Much appreciated [B)]

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
has your car been remapped? if it hasn't then you won't get much more noise than the standard set up but once you have more boost passing through it then you will notice a difference. :thumbup:

Aug 24, 2007
not meant to be loud, just effective.

Remove the sound deadening from under the bonnet and it may be louder :)

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
if you can get a half decent supply of cold air to it then it'll be alright................ at this time of year that shouldn't be a problem. saying that though the charge air does pass through an intercooler so a certain amount of hot air won't be too much of a problem.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I ran a Dynatwist with Revo and a 007P on my Leon, and found it was loud enough. One way to ensure you get the maximum volume is to ensure you have as short an intake pipe as you can to the filter housing. The more kinks you have in the hose, the more disruption you get in the airflow and the less the noise you seem to get from the DV. I was running an 80mm flexi airhose from the Dynatwist round to the nearside headlamp, I removed all the plastic gubbins from behind the headlamp as it is very restrictive, then plummed the air hose to a SEAT Sport intake I had made by Northern South. Worked very well, but it was certainly more noticeable when the air was cold and dense. Before I got this part I tethered on to the OE plastic intake part from SEAT and it was acceptable. Just make sure you pull the flexi hose taught as it smooths out the pipe and makes the air flow more cleanly through it.

Cupra Iain

PSN : Jebus_1979
Feb 2, 2005
Cheltenham
A decent CAI will give you some good induction noise and the whooshy sound you crave so much, but aren't you just better spending your money on a remap rather than spunking another £200 or so changing your filter just to make some noise???

carew

Feb 16, 2008
Birmingham
I have the same problem with mine. Had the forge 007p fitted. Sounds the same to me.

Looking at open cone filters but not sure which to get? :confused:

Would it suffer from heat soak? :confused:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Would it suffer from heat soak? :confused:

Not in a British Summer :cartman:

Well in theory yes it would, I've heard plenty of stories that in very heavy traffic on a summers day it would get affected but not heard many actual experiences a nice cold air feed pointing at it would help.....worst case you could fabricate a heat shield for the cone if you had problems :shrug:

carew

Feb 16, 2008
Birmingham
I was thinking about it the other day. It is possible for me to get one fabricated. Thought about using the bottom of the existing airbox as a base plate for it?

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
I was thinking about it the other day. It is possible for me to get one fabricated. Thought about using the bottom of the existing airbox as a base plate for it?

Jabba do an induction kit that is Cone + Heatshield otherwise any fabricator could cut & bend you some aluminium from a pattern :shrug:

Jabba's has no base just warpa round the sides and makes a wall round the cone and a gap for an airfeed

carew

Feb 16, 2008
Birmingham
Jabba do an induction kit that is Cone + Heatshield otherwise any fabricator could cut & bend you some aluminium from a pattern :shrug:

Jabba's has no base just warpa round the sides and makes a wall round the cone and a gap for an airfeed

Thats 1 option for me to consider. What other filters would you recommend?

Think i would need a heat shield because of inner city driving. [:@]

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
I think the thing that needs to be pointed out is that the 007P is not a BOV, it's a re-circ, so the doesn't vent to air, but back into the system.

Changing from airbox to open-cone / enclosed-cone will make the noise more noticable, as will uping the boost (as there's more to re-circ), but you're never going to get up to the volume of the likes of the HKS/Blitz dump valves that the Jap's (and others) can run.

The VAG engine isn't over keen on the vent to air type of valve (altho some have had success) so we are limited to whats available that works with the car!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.