1.4 ecotsi rattle

Geraint Thomas

Jun 24, 2019
My 2016 FR 1.4 has a rattling when in eco mode if I accelerate slowly once the revs get to 2000rpm. I've found the actuator linkage is rattly, when the engines off and cold. As soon as the cars started the linkage won't rattle as there's tension on it. Would it be this linkage I can hear rattle at 2000 rpm?

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
There are several threads on just this subject, it's unclear if it's the linkage or the turbo actuator causing the rattle - but always in ECO mode.

Have a read and let us know if you find a solution, other than disabling ECO - personally I've trained myself to ignore it.

Geraint Thomas

Jun 24, 2019
I've noticed that with the engine off the linkage is wobbly and rattles. Soon as the cars idling the free play is taken up. I think that the actuator must be switched off or not used in eco mode hence why it rattles. I was going to copper grease it up and see if that dampens the noise. I went back to SEAT and they said its normal and better to rattle than to be seized.

Geraint Thomas

Jun 24, 2019
Thank you. I've got the clip but not fitted it as the cars under warranty so wasn't sure about going back

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The grease arrived today, finally, so I slapped some on the linkage and fitted the clip at the turbo end. One one test drive but it seems to have worked. I suspect the difference is mostly due to the metal clip. The grease on its own didn't seem to dampen the movement of the link much at all. It's not that thick.

So early days but looking good.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Do you have any pictures of how you fitted the clip.

No, but it only fits at the turbo end of the link and it will only go on one way round.

As far as I am aware, the clip is not designed for this particular link. It just happens to fit. I just worked grease into the pivots and put the clip on. Took minutes. The clip goes on quite easily, you don't need tools, and it's obvious when it's on securely.

I'll try and take a picture.

Geraint Thomas

Jun 24, 2019
OK. Someone else fitted the clip at the exhaust end. I'll have a look in a while but as you say it's the turbo end that rattles so really that's where the clip would need to be.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
OK. Someone else fitted the clip at the exhaust end. I'll have a look in a while but as you say it's the turbo end that rattles so really that's where the clip would need to be.

The clip won't fit on the actuator end but it doesn't really matter. It will stop the linkage vibrating whichever end it's on.

Aug 4, 2020
Hi,
I’m looking at buying a 1.4 Ecotsi 150 and wanted to know does the ACT only kick in when the car is in the driver profile “Eco” or does it kick in sport mode as well?

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
iv started hearing a rattle now, sounds like its coming from the front passenger side but just cant identify where its coming from, I sat in the passenger side whilst the mrs was driving but it seems to come and go so again couldn't find where it was coming from. It sure is irritating.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise