1.4 tsi 180, would you buy one? Warranty

aterro

Banana Bomber
Oct 28, 2009
Ive whittled it down to a few choices now.

the mk5 ibiza cupra 1.4 tsi 180 being one.
( possibly a boc)

Firstly,
how reliable are the engines?( ive seen numerous threads on oil usage or failures or misfires) but how often is this the story?

I will be buying mine on a 2010,2011 plate from a seat dealer. So i presume i will get 12 month warranty and then have the possiblity of buying more warranty after 12 months....
(How much is this?)

I will be doing around 12k a year, and 500 miles a week...
Is it fine for a daily driver? ( seems fine on a test drive, but i havent used it more than a hour )

Regards

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
it eats long journeys up easily. i personally would have another one as i had no issues. try and get as much warranty as ya can though ;)

Mr Scubatank

Oct 14, 2012
Crewe, Cheshire
If it's from a Seat dealer then it's likely to be ok. I had concerns about mine after I got it, but was assured it had the updated engine fitted from new therefore eliminating the problems assciated with the initial launch of cars. Mine is a late 2010 - battery in boot.
I got my info from the technical manager (who i have known for a while) and independantly from one of the technicians.
My local dealer won't sell the ones with the older types engines.

jellybabybandit

May 1, 2007
You not consider the 2.0 tdi ? Mine with a tuning box goes like a Hezbollah rocket

Also a more reliable engine I believe

Jul 14, 2012
redditch
I wouldn't never buy one again I had one engine went bang got another and kept misfiring all time in end went back to a leon

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Having just bought one late last year (March 2012 registered) and run into the misfire within 5 months, now have had a new (CTHE) engine put in – yes, I probably would.

Don’t think the CTHE went into the Cupras until just before the facelift (late 2012?), check the build sticker on the polystyrene spare wheel surround under the boot floor. Battery in boot isn’t a guide either, these (inc ours) still had CAVE engines. Don’t know how to spot CTHE engine if you suspect it’s been changed, not sure any external differences.

I’d look for the condition of the exhaust and surround, really sooty means high oil and / or fuel consumption. I’d check the fuel consumption if I could (run it until warm then zero the MPG guide pressing small button under right stalk, use end buttons to cycle through display). Drive ‘normally’ without using the loud pedal, you should get 35+ mpg, if it;s under 30mpg walk away.

And get as much warranty (covering all aspects of the engine) as you can.

It’s a great little car, brings a smile to the face in direct proportion to how far the right pedal is pressed down!

Mr Scubatank

Oct 14, 2012
Crewe, Cheshire
There is a visual difference, looking from the top down, the newer CAVE engine has a bit 'missing' as this part has been relocated to somewhere.
Yep you can tell I wasn't really paying attention... Lol.

Beazy

Sep 21, 2011
If I could buy a brand new Pre-facelift in 2014 I'd be all over it. It's a cracking little engine for all its issues. I'm afraid the Facelift is horrible inside and outside compared to this one :(

I give mines constant abuse and apart from a few niggles (misfires at 6900ish in 98 mode being the biggest one) I've had no bother from it at all. 14k on it since August last year and still going strong, if you listen to all the 'reviews' I should be on my third engine and bought enough oil to keep a small country afloat :lol:

I will seriously miss this car when I sell it next year.

mattvanders

I've had mine only 2 months but i'm very happy with driving experience, econical on the daily commute (up to 50 mpg at the moment (and a very boreing drive it was) but fun (and fast as a sertion merc driver found out) come the weekend. Build quiety is up there with the polo gti (one of the other cars i was looking at) but its not as fancy for like for like conponments (seat or wheel design ect). I can't think of another car which fits the bill for me at the same price, if talking about more money new fiesta st would have been on the books.

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
The polo gti isn't even nearly as speced up as the cupra and is quite abit more money with things like xenons added.

mattvanders

Yer i know, for the same age and millage as i got you was looking at another 2 grand. Basic spec was not as good with things like climite control not being standard. Did look as the fabia vrs but it was not as sportly design and basic spec was not brilliant (again CC not being standard and not often picked).

Last edited by a moderator:

CraigFrTsi

"Dude I almost had you"
May 23, 2013
Stapleford, Notts
I have a 2nd hand 09 plate FR and as me and turbo were discussing today touch would I'm one of the lucky ones with a first gen engine and have had no problems what so ever. Again touch wood (along with fingers,toes,legs and arms crossed lol)

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
I have a 2nd hand 09 plate FR and as me and turbo were discussing today touch would I'm one of the lucky ones with a first gen engine and have had no problems what so ever. Again touch wood (along with fingers,toes,legs and arms crossed lol)

We actually touched wood yesterday every time we said it lol

Bobanegra

Oct 15, 2010
Stirling
I had a plethora of problems with my 2009 Boc but they were at the fault of the dealer rather than from the car or it's engine.

I'd definitely get one again if I could be guaranteed some warranty. Best car I've owned and as others have said, a lot of fun, worth getting even if its only for 18-24 months before getting something else.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.