1.6 Leon SE Very Harsh on Fuel??

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Check that the themostat isn't wide open all the time - but they're not 'good' on fuel. It's a very old engine design & does nothing clever

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Turn the car on, make sure the radiator hoses aren't getting warm after a few minutes. If they are, the thermostat is open & letting the water into the rad cooling it down. This means the car would stay in cold start (over fuelling) for the whole time

Bigpepespunch

Turn the car on, make sure the radiator hoses aren't getting warm after a few minutes. If they are, the thermostat is open & letting the water into the rad cooling it down. This means the car would stay in cold start (over fuelling) for the whole time

Im a complete car noob, what would you call warm after a few minutes? and where would i be able to close it? Gotta sort this as its killing my wallet. :cry:

Bigpepespunch

Im a complete car noob, what would you call warm after a few minutes? and where would i be able to close it? Gotta sort this as its killing my wallet. :cry:

No idea mate, havent worked it out sory. All i know is that i put 25 quid in yesterday and did a few trips to town and a 50 mile round trip today and its practically empty. Thats not right surely.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
What's that 1/3rd of a tank?

Somewhere between 100 and 125 miles at a guess that'd be about 33mpg maybe

You need to do a few full tank to empty calculations really to see if you have a problem

MasserS

Apr 13, 2011
North West
They aren't fantastic on fuel I got 39mpg out of mine yet get 37mpg out of a 20v turbo and were still in our honeymoon period :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.