1.8 tsi 180 or 2.0 TDI 184

WaddyX

Feb 15, 2015
I'm ready to order my Leon FR, just got to decide which engine to go with. I'll be having the DSG box, but really am torn between the engines. My driving is probably fairly evenly split between town, country and motorway. Has anyone tried both engines and can give an idea of how they are different to drive? I have only test driven the TDI, dealer hasn't been able to locate a 1.8 with the DSG box yet.

Stagsfell

Feb 16, 2015
Just done the same exercise myself and went for the petrol (manual)after managing to drive both with manual and dsg. Reasoning was my mileage is now fairly low and includes short trips so I wished to avoid DPF issues, the petrol is cheaper and (I thought) nicer to drive with a much more useable rev range though the diesel was obviously gruntier. Had I sstill been doing 25-30k miles a year I think I would have opted for the diesel, however. I preferred driving the manual in both cases but I am not a fan of autos anyway.

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
Year and something ago I was facing the same decision. I test drove the diesel and liked it a lot although it felt slightly harsh. I almost ordered it. Then I changed my mind due to the fact my previous mk2 Leon was 1.8TSI and I loved it and that my mileage isn't high. I am happy I took the petrol. Diesels seem to be falling out of fashion these days, also there seem to be the usual complaints with the DPF issues on this and other forums on regular basis, and most importantly the TSI is super smooth and is slightly more fun than the TDI.

Last edited:

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
I'm ready to order my Leon FR, just got to decide which engine to go with. I'll be having the DSG box, but really am torn between the engines. My driving is probably fairly evenly split between town, country and motorway. Has anyone tried both engines and can give an idea of how they are different to drive? I have only test driven the TDI, dealer hasn't been able to locate a 1.8 with the DSG box yet.

I have 1.8tsi and used to have diesels for years. My commute is about 8 miles all in so the petrol was a no brainier. I'm achieving upto 38mpg knocking about. It warms up really quick, is quieter and drives sweeter than the diesel. If your doing high miles then go for the diesel purely for mpg but if not then 1.8tsi all day.

Havsgaard

Jan 15, 2014
Denmark
I have a 2.0 diesel, and i wish i had ordered it with dsg. I also did a short test drive in a 1.8 tsi fr, was really nice, though with the household km per year at around 30k km, the choice was obvious. Compared to many of the other diesel engines out there, the vw 2.0 150 was ahead of its time in smoothness at launch, but competition is tight now. I would say that it is up to your driving needs in the end :)

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
upto 9k in my 184 tdi mostly motorway miles. trouble free with 50 mpg and plenty of grunt through the gears

Toon

drives a Leon 1.8DSG
Mar 25, 2014
South East
I went for the 1.8 petrol and love it. But if I regularly did a lot of miles my choice might have been different.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
id love a petrol but weekly mileage anywhere 250-400 can't justify it, glad the road tax only 20 quid a year

WaddyX

Feb 15, 2015
Thanks for all the responses.

Got to do a test drive in the 1.8 tsi and opted for it over the 2.0 tdi, my mileage is probably around 15k miles a year, the fact the diesel is almost 2k more and would only work out to fuel savings of about £250 a year made it a no brainer as I would never see the money back for the outlay and the petrol just seemed a much nicer ride.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron

Got to do a test drive in the 1.8 tsi and opted for it over the 2.0 tdi, my mileage is probably around 15k miles a year, the fact the diesel is almost 2k more and would only work out to fuel savings of about £250 a year made it a no brainer as I would never see the money back for the outlay and the petrol just seemed a much nicer ride.

:funk: Excellent choice, you will not be disappointed. I love mine and I love the comments from my friends on how it goes :D
Truth be known I've found my youth again :whistle:

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE

i do 15-16k a year and thought of the 1.8 but they had a lower residual as i wanted pcp. kinda thought 6 of 1 half dozen of the other.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
:funk: Excellent choice, you will not be disappointed. I love mine and I love the comments from my friends on how it goes :D
Truth be known I've found my youth again :whistle:

Hi jcb

What were you driving previously? I just had a great spirited drive in my mk2 petrol fr, which still feels quick, am hoping the 1.8 is comparable, it was hard to really tell in the dsg I test drove.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members