1.8 TSI FR Tuning

Marky_R1

Aug 31, 2016
Hello all,

This is my first post here and I my first decent Seat (or any car to be honest) will be bought very soon. I'm getting a 2013 Leon 1.8 TSI FR DSG. Having done a scan of the web, tuning options seem pretty confusing as there are so many. I'm more into my bikes than cars to be honest, so I don't know a great deal about getting these tuned. I've always stuck with a dyno custom map on my bikes.
I'd really like to up the power a bit without making it to peaky. I'm also concerned as I don't break the DSG transmission which I've heard isn't as robust as the manual. I also don't want to destroy the fuel consumption figures too much either, although I know there will be some loss of economy. What should I be looking for? Any advice welcomed, so thanks in advance.
Mark

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Burger Tuning JB1 100% reversible and tweakable, near Stage 1 figures.

Have a look on the long thread on VW vortex.

Marky_R1

Aug 31, 2016
Thanks for the replies. What about the DGS transmission, is it ok to cope with the extra power?

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
The 7 speed is the dry clutch variety so can't take the same amount of torque as the 6 speed. I think there are tuners out there that limit the torque. Your best ringing them and ask the.

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Can't see a simple remap causing any problem to the dsg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can...
DQ200 box is designed for max torque of 250nm and for example APR stg1 will up the torque over 400nm...
The DQ200 is the only reason CJSA 1.8TSI has limited torque to 250nm, same than 1.4TSI.
And the problem would be slipping clutch / burning clutch.

Marky_R1

Aug 31, 2016
Thanks for all the advice so far. So I got the ECU tuned and putting out 224hp at 6400rpm with a nice flat torque curve throughout the rpm range. The extra hp is very noticeable and has made the car significantly quicker. However, I have hit a brick wall with the DSG (TCU) tune. No one does one for this model. The tuner who did the ECU sent me a plug in box (zeus flash) which bleeped when installed but didn't change anything as far as I can tell. I took it to JBS Autodesign today at Chesterfield who basically said they can't do the DSG for this car even though it's the DQ200 transmission, and they said they have all the tools of the trade. APR don't do one either. So does anyone know of a reliable tuner that can do a stage 1 DSG for a Leon 1.8 TSI FR (2013)?

Bpositive

Oct 5, 2016
Www.bpositive.dk
400nm, thats over a 50% increase. I'm wondering if that's healthy for the cars components!? And what the longevity would be!

Many tunes only give around 330 nm - that's quite a difference.

Reactions: Woody_72

Marky_R1

Aug 31, 2016
Update

The tuners at Chesterfield now have the DSG tune unlocked (I think it was £300), and has now allowed the tiptronic gear change to rev to 7000rpm. The gear changes are a tiny bit quicker as well. No clutch slippage at all for the last 3000 miles since the gearbox and ECU were tuned.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019
Hey @Marky_R1

I'm taking my 1.8 tsi in for a stage 1 next week - just wondered how your DSG got on after the 3k miles.

Hoping it's been fine? haha

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
The DSG 7 speed is fragile in stock tune, and is already on it’s limit, i would not be entertaining remapping one for sure. I pulled out of purchasing a DSG 7 speed cause all the internet is full of is stock cars with issues. So made a call to give it a wide berth

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
The DSG 7 speed is fragile in stock tune, and is already on it’s limit, i would not be entertaining remapping one for sure. I pulled out of purchasing a DSG 7 speed cause all the internet is full of is stock cars with issues. So made a call to give it a wide berth
Agreed. I had a stock 2013 1.8tsi DSG which had new clutch packs required under warranty at 2.5 years old, and felt like it was beginning to develop clutch judder again when we sold in January.
I wouldn't have considered an engine tune.

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
Hey @Marky_R1

I'm taking my 1.8 tsi in for a stage 1 next week - just wondered how your DSG got on after the 3k miles.

Hoping it's been fine? haha
FWIW I also own a 2013 plate 1.8 TSI which had a Shark stage 1 remap done in 2018 and my DSG still feels fine after about 15K miles of driving since then.

There’s the occasional bit of clunkiness when changing into / from 2nd gear but my DQ200 had that quirk before and it’s no worse than during the 3 years I drove the car in its stock tune.

Simmo78

Jun 2, 2017
Hi @adam davies

Have a 1.8 FR manual and have been thinking about getting it mapped also. I just wondered how you've found it?

Many thanks
Neil

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members