1.8 vs 1.4 (TSI in FR spec)

GreyUm

Hi everyone

I am just trying to figure out my next moves in terms of car. I have a test drive booked for the 1.8 version on Friday and I happened to find myself looking into the VW golf too. Curiosity took hold and I found that the VW Golf GTI 2ltr does the same MPG as the 1.8 Seat.

Granted the price of insurance and initial cost of the car is different but I like the idea of even more power and toys with the same fuel economy.

Because of that I then found myself looking at the 1.4 Seat, that has more torque (just) than the 1.8 engine which is sort of the important bit and will still be more than powerful enough for what I want. The only thing that I would be missing is the DSG box.

So here is my few questions;
1. What does the 1.8 have over the 1.4 that I can't add to the 1.4 version?
2. Should I save myself a couple of grand and go with the 1.4?
3. What are your personal thoughts on the 1.4 vs 1.8?

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
I've only tried the 1.4 and found it to be a very pleasant to drive. Its a nippy engine offering decent performance whilst being frugal and tax efficient.

How are you financing this? You might find a Golf GTI is cheaper/ the same cost as a Leon FR 1.8 on PCP due to the stronger residual values of the VW.

GreyUm

It would be on HP as I don't really want the bulk payment at the end. Residual values are really only important if I plan of getting rid at the end of the finance period, for me this will be a car that I will be keeping hold of.

The GTI of spec that I would like is £30k which is a bit much for what I want to spend on a car (keeping myself realistic) but even the 1.4 is 2k more than the Seat so value for money I think Seat probably have it hence my deliberating between the 1.4 and the 1.8

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
GreyUm;42423781.4 is 2k more than the Seat so value for money I think Seat probably have it hence my deliberating between the 1.4 and the 1.8[/QUOTE said:
For me, spec for spec at the moment I think the Golf 1.4 even through slightly more outlay is the better bet by far. .

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
For me, spec for spec at the moment I think the Golf 1.4 even through slightly more outlay is the better bet by far. .

I'm not convinced. Golf GT TSI ACT seems somewhat overpriced in my eyes. The Leon FR 1.4 TSI with the £500 Tech Pack offers much better value on paper. I'm sceptical the stronger residuals of the Golf will cover the difference in purchase cost.

Having said that if you can live with a lower spec the Audi A3 1.4 TFSI COD SE is the real smart buy. Same engine as the Golf/ Leon and runs in at £20,430 which is backed up by granite residuals.

Still it all comes down to how you're funding the purchase as to whether the cars ultimate value needs to be considered.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
I'm not convinced. Golf GT TSI ACT seems somewhat overpriced in my eyes. The Leon FR 1.4 TSI with the £500 Tech Pack offers much better value on paper. I'm sceptical the stronger residuals of the Golf will cover the difference in purchase cost.

Having said that if you can live with a lower spec the Audi A3 1.4 TFSI COD SE is the real smart buy. Same engine as the Golf/ Leon and runs in at £20,430 which is backed up by granite residuals.

Still it all comes down to how you're funding the purchase as to whether the cars ultimate value needs to be considered.

Comes down to what you want I think, Seat in the Audi should be the same, but it's not, doesn't go quite as low as the golf or Leon. The tech pack whilst is good value doesn't interest me so with that in mind, the golf is not much more and easy to find used, whereas the leon for me I'd have to order new..

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Comes down to what you want I think, Seat in the Audi should be the same, but it's not, doesn't go quite as low as the golf or Leon. The tech pack whilst is good value doesn't interest me so with that in mind, the golf is not much more and easy to find used, whereas the leon for me I'd have to order new..

True but big discounts are available on the Leon if you order new through a broker, wheras all the used Golf MK7s I've seen so far don't offer much saving over the new RRP

All 3 offer something unique anyway and can't really go wrong whichever you choose! I don't know yet which I'll eventually choose when the time comes to replace my current Leon.

GreyUm

I think if I was going Audi I would spend the little extra for a GTI Golf.

Jun 15, 2013

The Golf 1.4 with the TSi 140 engine was £6000 more than my Lean after discounts and PCP contribution from the same broker.

The Golf 1.4 TSi SE has the old 122 bhp engine and was still £3000 more than the Leon.

Starbucks78

Oct 7, 2009
^ as above.

I had very similar £ figures when test driving both golf and Leon 140's.
Plus I didn't like all the black shineyy plastic interior, it actually felt and looked cheaper than the Leon.
It was a no brainer decision!

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
To bring this thread back to its original point. How do the 1.4 and 1.8 TSi versions of the FR compare?

There seems to be lots of reviews of the 1.4 but as yet very few reviews of the 1.8 engine. Now that 1.8 TSi cars are becoming more readily available how do they compare?

I picked up my new 1.8 TSi FR manual on Saturday and although I haven't driven it very far as yet I'm quite impressed. In comparison to my previous car the TDi 170 CR it seems much quicker and more responsive at slower speeds driving on 30 mph and 40 mph roads. I haven't driven it very much at higher speeds but from the little experience I have there does seem to be quite good acceleration in 5th and 6 gears at speeds between 50 and 60 mph.
I had a test drive of the 2.0 TDi 150 but that seemed to slightly lack something compared to my 170 CR which resulted in me making a complete change and going for the 1.8 TSi.
I now wonder whether it was worth the extra money and whether the 1.4 TSi is almost as good. Having said all this I love my new 1.8 TSi FR and I am not disappointed.

Last edited:

Starbucks78

Oct 7, 2009
The only way you will really know is to drive them both, as afterall its only your opinion that really matters.

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
To bring this thread back to its original point. How do the 1.4 and 1.8 TSi versions of the FR compare?

There seems to be lots of reviews of the 1.4 but as yet very few reviews of the 1.8 engine. Now that 1.8 TSi cars are becoming more readily available how do they compare?

I picked up my new 1.8 TSi FR manual on Saturday and although I haven't driven it very far as yet I'm quite impressed. In comparison to my previous car the TDi 170 CR it seems much quicker and more responsive at slower speeds driving on 30 mph and 40 mph roads. I haven't driven it very much at higher speeds but from the little experience I have there does seem to be quite good acceleration in 5th and 6 gears at speeds between 50 and 60 mph.
I had a test drive of the 2.0 TDi 150 but that seemed to slightly lack something compared to my 170 CR which resulted in me making a complete change and going for the 1.8 TSi.
I now wonder whether it was worth the extra money and whether the 1.4 TSi is almost as good. Having said all this I love my new 1.8 TSi FR and I am not disappointed.

I'm in a similar position (although currently have the 170PD rather than 170CR), and have driven the 1.4 TSi, 2.0 TDi 150 and now the 1.8 TSi.

I also found the TDi 150 a bit lacking compared to my current car. The 1.4 TSi was better than I expected, but quite similar to the TDi 150. I found the 1.8 TSi to be the quickest of the Mk3 Leon's I've driven, and had decent pull through the first few gears. I did think it was a little slower than mine when it came to in-gear acceleration, to the point I'd need to drop down a gear when overtaking on the motorway - something not needed with the torque of the 170PD.

Perhaps I'd just need time to adjust going from a diesel to a petrol.

I'd be interested to hear back in a couple of months how you're finding it once you've settled into it and it's run in a bit.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
The only way you will really know is to drive them both, as afterall its only your opinion that really matters.

Agreed but to be honest I think the 1.8 is going to be an unpopular choice, especially once the Cupra has come out.

Most Leon buyers typically go for a small petrol, any sized diesel or the performance petrol. This will leave the 1.8 TSI in no mans land!

dafe01

Apr 8, 2008
Kent/London
Agreed but to be honest I think the 1.8 is going to be an unpopular choice, especially once the Cupra has come out.

Most Leon buyers typically go for a small petrol, any sized diesel or the performance petrol. This will leave the 1.8 TSI in no mans land!

I agree.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

GreyUm

However insurance group 25 vs the cupra when it comes out will be around 34/35 ish? Plus it will be a few k less than the cupra so for poor folk like me... ;)

Basically residual values for the 1.8 may suffer if the above plays out to be true...

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
The Golf 1.4 with the TSi 140 engine was £6000 more than my Lean after discounts and PCP contribution from the same broker.

The Golf 1.4 TSi SE has the old 122 bhp engine and was still £3000 more than the Leon.

I recently got prices for Golf GT 1.4tsi and Leon FR 1.8tsi, both with DSG, had to add options to the Leon to get the spec I wanted and the difference was £1800

To bring this thread back to its original point.

Sorry..:hide:

As GreyUM said, should knock the used price down on that engine then..

Last edited:

LBB

From overhearing conversations at my Seat dealer the it's not a 1.4 v's 1.8 choice is a manual v's auto/DSG choice. I can't see many 1.8 manual cars being sold.

No DSG & uninspiring colour choices was almost enough to make me order an Audi A3.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.